JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I attended my first Service Rifle (CMP) class and match yesterday. Got to shoot my first M1 Garand and participate in my first shooting match of any kind. I had a blast and really enjoyed shooting the Garand.

Now, part of the reason I took the class was also to get the certification I need to buy directly from CMP. But some of the discussion yesterday centered around the fact that the CMP is out of Garands (save for a few specialized and very expensive models), and apparently won't be getting any more in. I was bummed to hear this because I really wanted to get a CMP Garand. I don't have the money set aside yet, but wanted to start planning for the purchase eventually. Looking on their site, I found that they are out of stock and I saw no indication that any more will be coming. Looks like they're also out of M1 Carbines and M1903's as well.

So, does anyone out there know if the option to buy a Garand through the CMP is effectively over now? I'm sure some folks will still be selling them used, but if the CMP is out, will that now drive the price on lower to mid grade models well over $1K?

I had a trade deal going with a guy about two years ago to trade for a nice Garand for a nice piston AR - values were the same. We had the deal almost worked out, but some other folks saw the ad and told him to keep it - which he did. I had no hard feelings because I wouldn't have parted with it either. But I do wish that deal would have gone through :( - I could always replace the AR later.

So, am I SOL on ever getting a decent-priced Garand from the CMP?? And, will my CMP certificate mean anything moving forward? I know they're supposed to get 1911's eventually, but could this be the beginning of the end of the CMP??

Just curious what you folks think.

Get your money in order and remember. It's the CMP. There will be lots of waiting.

This is from CMP's face book page.

''M1 Garand Update for those asking: Our back order list is getting too long. It's time we stop taking orders until we catch up. There are more Garands on the shelves but we don't know the exact condition until we start the inspection process''

Get your money in order and remember. It's the CMP. There will be lots of waiting.

This is from CMP's face book page.

''M1 Garand Update for those asking: Our back order list is getting too long. It's time we stop taking orders until we catch up. There are more Garands on the shelves but we don't know the exact condition until we start the inspection process''

Well that's good to know - I don't usually FB, so I didn't think to check there. After the discussions I heard yesterday, it sounded pretty bleak. I don't mind waiting, if the option will still be available in the future.

I would pay close attention to the prices of Garands during this next election. People will be going stupid again over EBR's, and I suspect that the prices of mil-surp may take a brief fall. If you can find a Garand in decent shape for under $800, I would certainly jump at it if I were you.

It's worth the wait.

But until you get that Garand. You can look at one of mine from CMP. ;)
I'm just generous that way. :D

That's a nice looking rifle. The club rifle I shot yesterday is from the CMP and was actually in very nice condition considering how much use it gets. It shot very well. It wasn't nearly as nice in finish as yours though.

The gun I pictured is a 1955 Springfield rifle in the 5.8 million SN# range.
It's really not that desirable of a M1. Most collectors want a gun made during WWII.

But these later GI guns are well made. And are often very original with nice original finish.
Being late made guns they often have little wear. With enough life in them to last you yours.
And there seems to be a lot of them out there.

I actually have two in this SN# range. And they make great reliable shooters.
Also. If I were to buy a CMP gun today. I would send a little request note[You can do this] and ask for one in this SN# range. ;)

Good luck with your CMP purchase.

Me being a yute, and firmly part of gun culture 2.0, why should I care about the Garand? I don't mean this question disrespectfully or flippantly, but I do wonder what could possibly be the interest. You have to be careful what loads you feed it, it is limited to 8 rounds, it is heavy as a lead brick, and optics are off-limits. I must admit, I'm just not a collector and definitely prefer polymer over wood. Am I just missing the gene for the love of historical awesomeness?

You can blame the HBO series Band of Brothers for the scarcity and inflated prices on Garands.
They were always a sleeper gun price wise until everyone had to have one right after the show aired.

Me being a yute, and firmly part of gun culture 2.0, why should I care about the Garand? I don't mean this question disrespectfully or flippantly, but I do wonder what could possibly be the interest. You have to be careful what loads you feed it, it is limited to 8 rounds, it is heavy as a lead brick, and optics are off-limits. I must admit, I'm just not a collector and definitely prefer polymer over wood. Am I just missing the gene for the love of historical awesomeness?

Let me take a crack at this. Maybe your perceptions will change.

An adjustable gas plug will allow you to shoot ammo with different pressure curves.
And you could run from your house and face the zombies, with 800 rounds loaded into clips in your pack. And none of that weight would be magazine weight! And little would be clips.

You can load a clip quickly from the big hole in the top. And when your empty. The gun will spit out the clip. Dose your AR drop it's mag for you?
I give the first 30 rounds of firepower to the AR.
But with a little practice. Speed in loading the Garand could easily exceed the allowable prolonged fire rate of the Garand or AR.

The sights are very good, and super rugged. And they can be made better [finer].
Also 30-06 will shoot through you. Even when your hiding behind a 16'' oak tree!
And it will flat drop you at 600 yards!

I would probable grab an AR type gun myself. If I headed to the hills.
But I would hate to face a man well versed in the use of his reliable, rugged and hard hitting Garand.
And such a man would command my utmost respect. Even at 1000yds.

Go into a firefight with this man thinking his gun to be antiquated. And you just might regret that ''Mind Set''. ;)

Like Medic said, I can out shoot ANY other battle rifle there is, and the man carrying it! For shear firepower, range, and accuracy, nothing yet made can out perform the M-1 Garand! Add in extream reliability, ruggedness and the ability to shoot any ammo you can stuff in the chamber, and you have an unbeatable rifle! A Rifleman's Rifle!

Not all Garands have to be walnut. I stuck this stock on mine after I broke my last walnut, as it's all I had laying around. The look kind of grew on me, as I never took it off. Thinking it's about time to go back to walnut though...

image.jpeg

It had a beautiful walnut stock. I think it was a Boyd's or CMP, but it had no cartouche. It split in half at the wrist. The sacrilege stock was the only thing I had to replace it. At the time I couldn't justify spending what little money I had to replace a functional stock. So there it remains. And I still have at least 15 rifles that need stocks before this one gets replaced...

Put a scope and mounts on an AR, fancy free float Keymod rail, etc. and you are pushing 10 pounds just like a Garand...

The beauty of the Garand in 06 is that it demonstrates what most people think is cover is merely concealment. Yes, it is a legendary battle rifle. But its record is undeniable. If I was a bad guy with an AR or an AK advancing on a position that didn't have a sniper but a rifleman with a Garand inside 900 or a 1,000 yards away.... I'd look for another line of work.
JMHO,

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews