JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like Medic said, I can out shoot ANY other battle rifle there is, and the man carrying it! For shear firepower, range, and accuracy, nothing yet made can out perform the M-1 Garand! Add in extream reliability, ruggedness and the ability to shoot any ammo you can stuff in the chamber, and you have an unbeatable rifle! A Rifleman's Rifle!

Except its son the M14 (civilian M1a) rifle which I used in the Marines and which I have an M1a version of today. The M1a exceeds the M1 Garand in mag capacity firepower while being 7.62x51 it has about the same range and accuracy of its father the Garand. So I would say the M1a has more firepower (mag capacity), is quicker to reload, and with its roller bearing improvement over the Garand, I would say it outperforms the Garand. But then again....it IS the Garand's son and shares of lot of the Garand within its design so we can readily understand why it would outperform it.

Agreed! ! It would be an interesting comparison to actually see these two fine old war horses square off head to head in a real world comparison and see if the M-14/M-1A could out perform its father! I'm pretty damn quick reloading the Garand! With really top shelf ammo, I would still give the nod to the Garand!

I sold my two M1A's. Not real G.I. guns. No forged receiver. And no real quality control.
It just felt like the G.I. M1 was a better made gun. And so I never warmed to the M1A.

And I prefer my HK-91 and Belgian FAL in a semi .308.

Well, a couple of things...

First, a Garand, loaded, weighs just a hair over 9 lb. A Colt M4 with optic, BUIS, and two fully loaded magazines (one in the weapon and one on the stock) weighs almost as much.

Pick the rifle up. You'll note the fine balance, right where it should be.

Go prone; use that leather sling like it was meant to be used. Get that cuff up good and tight, and lock it in. One quarter turn of the sling, then your support hand will naturally be cradled under the front of the stock, right against that sling swivel. If you have it mounted correctly, the rifle seems to weld itself into your shoulder.

Pull the op rod back until it locks. Align one 8 round clip, and make sure you put the heel of your hand against the op rod's handle. Push the clip in until it locks, then rotate your hand smartly out of the way. You may need to tap the handle with the heel of your hand--but if you have some well-broken in clips, the bolt will slide home smartly and chamber one round of good .30-06 ammunition.

Now, achieve a proper cheek weld. You'll notice that your eye naturally lines up with the rear aperture, and that front sight just centers itself really nicely. Find the steel full silhouette at 600 yards, release your breath naturally and hold it out just for a second. Now, your finger rolls the trigger straight back...

You hear a CRACK as a 150 grain full metal jacket bullet runs downrange at almost 2900 feet per second, and smacks that steel with AUTHORITY. You will see that target SWING violently--and it weighs a good 80 lbs! And the sound--not a "Clang" or a ringing of steel--but a solid "WHUMP!" If you do this at dusk, you might even see a flash of sparks at the target.

Since you have slung in tight, the rifle does NOT move--not even an inch. You roll that trigger as fast as you can, seeing the fireworks downrange at high speed bullets meet steel. Then, that telltale "Ping!" as the clip ejects and the action stands open, ready for another clip to be inserted. You also note that the action and chamber are clean and shiny--all the gas was vented way up front of the rifle.

And you know that you can repeat the same performance out to a thousand yards, and that your rounds will arrive with killing force.

Best of all--you are holding good American steel--yes, designed by a Canadian inventor, but 100% American iron--still just as powerful and potent as it was during World War II, Korea and in some cases, Vietnam.

I like the AR family. I build them, and I work on them. I just recently built myself a .308 AR.

But that Garand is one of the rifles that will go with me if I have to carry one.

Try a Garand out. Go ahead. I guarantee you will get one for yourself.

Is it creepy that this ^ ^ sorta turns me on?

From a shooters standpoint.
The M14 is a deffenant upgrade to the M1. The M14 gas system is a
great improvement over the M1s one piece piston/op rod. Which is a
weakness in the M1 design. The M1 requires careful ammo selection as
to not exceed the gas port pressure. Which can damage the M1's op rod.
An aftermarket ported gas plug helps the M1 but still does not equal the
superior design of the M14's separate op rod and gas piston.
Also the M14 does not have the front hand guard hanging off the barrel.
Which is a detriment to accuracy. The M1 requires more work to modify
to "National Match" condition. The 308 comparison to the 30/06 is close.
308 is couple hundred FPS slower than the 30/06. But the 30/06 has a
larger gas tank to take advantage of the slower burning more efficient
powders. IMHO :)

I would definitely take the "Improved" M-1A if SHTF. My National Match is bout as good as it gets, But My FAL would still be the number one GO TO in any event. The Garand still works very well though, and with tuning, I still believe in its advantages how ever slight. That it fought as well during it's day is good enough for me, but the later M-1A made a great rifle design, legendary!

There are hundreds of thousands of M1 Garands and M1 Carbines in South Korea currently. South Korea wanted to sell these surplus rifles to distributors in the USA, but President Obama signed an Executive Order in 2013 blocking them from being imported back to the USA.

He justified the order by saying that he wanted to prevent bloodshed on the streets of America. He called his Executive Order "another common sense solution" to the problem of gun violence.

So they are all just sitting in storage in South Korea.

The Curious Case of South Korea's M1 Rifle Stockpile (https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/m1-rifle-antique-south-korea-import/)

There are hundreds of thousands of M1 Garands and M1 Carbines in South Korea currently. South Korea wanted to sell these surplus rifles to distributors in the USA, but President Obama signed an Executive Order in 2013 blocking them from being imported back to the USA.

He justified the order by saying that he wanted to prevent bloodshed on the streets of America. He called his Executive Order "another common sense solution" to the problem of gun violence.

So they are all just sitting in storage in South Korea.

The Curious Case of South Korea's M1 Rifle Stockpile (https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/m1-rifle-antique-south-korea-import/)

Oh yeah, because gang bangers running around with M1 Garands are such a huge threat to our safety. What a damn numnutz he is. I only hope if Trump gets into office, he'll rescind that order and open up the flood gates again.

My uncle had his M1 prior to passing. Where it is now, no idea. I would have been honored if I had gotten it passed on to me. If I knew the serial number, somehow I would try to trace the rifle to the current owner, and be hopeful to purchase it from them. That day will likely never come.

My uncle had his M1 prior to passing. Where it is now, no idea. I would have been honored if I had gotten it passed on to me. If I knew the serial number, somehow I would try to trace the rifle to the current owner, and be hopeful to purchase it from them. That day will likely never come.

My father once told me how he wished that he had his great grandfather's Colt Model 1851 Navy Revolver. He bought it in 1852, prior to coming west on the Oregon Trail in 1853. Just think what an earlier serial number that pistol would have had. That would have really been some historic gun to own, but it went to another branch in the family. It did not go to his grandfather.

It was easily the most famous and historic gun in our family, as it was used to kill a couple of Indians in an incident on the Oregon Trail.

Did your uncle not have any sons? Usually men leave their guns to their male heirs, unless they don't have any.

He had all sons. After (actually my mothers uncle. Us kids always called him Uncle) he passed, it never crossed my mind to ask about it. The uncles kids, one I know, passed. The other, I lost touch with many years ago. You do spark interest in my looking into things. Who knows!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top