JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Were you trying to find the place between Belfair and Silverdale, Shane?

I DID go out to Tacoma Rifle and Revolver and dang if it wasn't about cold enough. Got off about 30 rounds and called it a day. 100-yard groups of about 2 to 3 inches, forget it.
:smash::(

Sorry you weren't able to find the place Shane. It's kinda tough to spot if you've never been there before, especially in marginal weather. :(

I was going to head to TRRC this morning but my inability to properly set my alarm clock to enable me to make the 9:30am tour intervened and I didn't make it. :p

Hopefully next saturday will work for me since the weather is supposed to be better. :s0155:

Where do you go in Dewatto? I have never been there, but I hear that it's cool. The Capitol Forest pit is SCARY! Ive been out there a few times....Last time about 5 guys were firing, and 1 of them puts down his gun and starts walking out to set up targets, while everybody was still shooting!!!! I dont go there anymore.....I just go up in the hills there. Also used to go to Wilkeson area, but that is now all private land. Know of any other good safe spots? Thanks!

Last time I was at the pit a group of guys packed in a couple cases of beer along with their firearms and cases of ammo. It sounded like they were already lit before they got there. I packed up and got out of there FAST.

This reminds me of a time I was at my old (now gone) spot out near Belfair.

I had set up two B-27 targets and here comes a pickup with three yay-hoos inside, roaring up to where I was set up.

They piled out, drunk, hooting at each other, deployed a Ruger Blackhawk and commenced trying to shoot holes into my targets.

The targets didn't suffer as badly as my patience did at the whole clueless onslaught, but I let 'em flail away in lieu of getting into a gun battle with the idiots.

Pretty soon they were out of ammo and they piled into the truck and roared off, not a thanks or anything, off they went into the sunset (literally, the road led West out of there.)

:drunk::s0005::drunk:

I shoot at the spot in Dewatto too. My gf and I went out yesterday and then I took my mom and niece out today. Went through about 2 bricks+ altogether. I'm gonna have to go again in the next week or two to sight in my new scope I'm waiting on. Somebody had a spare microwave and printer that they used for target practice recently and then just left them in pieces. Thanks to my good nature the place is cleaned up now though. I have talked to a forest service guy that stopped by before and he said it is ok to shoot there as long as we were safe about it. I normally shoot targets and beer cans that I bring with me then clean everything up when I'm done. Hopefully others will respect the place as well so we dont lose it.

-G

I shoot at the spot in Dewatto too. Somebody had a spare microwave and printer that they used for target practice recently and then just left them in pieces. Thanks to my good nature the place is cleaned up now though. I have talked to a forest service guy that stopped by before and he said it is ok to shoot there as long as we were safe about it. I normally shoot targets and beer cans that I bring with me then clean everything up when I'm done. Hopefully others will respect the place as well so we dont lose it.

THANK you!

One question though... were you at the same spot linked in this thread or at some other spot out near Dewatto?? If it was a different spot, can you post what the location was? If it's the same spot linked here... thank you for cleaning it up! :s0155:

I am pretty sure its the same spot. Coming out from the Bremerton side, left at the stop sign @ Dewatto Bay Rd, just under a mile on the left sound right? Looks to be the same spot judging by the Google maps coordinates you posted. 'Bought to head out there right now actually. :D

-G

I am pretty sure its the same spot. Coming out from the Bremerton side, left at the stop sign @ Dewatto Bay Rd, just under a mile on the left sound right? Looks to be the same spot judging by the Google maps coordinates you posted. 'Bought to head out there right now actually. :D

Sounds like the right neighborhood. :D

Cool. Thanks, Zero! Have any of you guys ever shot up by Wilkeson / Carbanado area before? I used to shoot up there all the time, but was told that there is no shooting up there anymore. I know that some of that forest was bought by a timber company that does not allow target shooting anymore. I heard that some of it you can still shoot on, but I'm not sure where. We used to shoot up in the hills above Wilkeson and up by Evans Creek. It sucks....I shot up there since I was really young! Thanks!

Hi I am brand new to the forum here. I grew up in Tacoma and know my way around this area pretty well. I am no legal expert on what is allowed, but there is a place that I like and where I have had no conflicts with anyone.

You are not suppose to shoot in the spots that used to be popular above Wilkeson, although some people still are, and are likely going to ruin it for everyone in the area eventually. If you take a look at a map you will see that if you drive up the logging roads... when you reach the fork in the road a few miles past the old gravel pit you will be in the Mt. Baker / Snoqualmie National Forest where target shooting is supposedly allowed. You must pay attention to the rules that govern shooting in a National Forest and if someone complains you should leave without an argument. My prefered spot is ten miles out of Wilkeson about three miles past where the road goes across South Prairie Creek above Fire Road 7724.

I have been told that there are residents in the area who dissaprove of target shooting and have had some conflicts. I think that this is largely because irresponsible persons are shooting in areas not in the National Forest, not in safe spots, shooting too near or across roadways and at junk cars etc.. There are tons of spent shotgun shells especially in certain spots and a whole lot of shot up garbage. These are mostly in spots where shooting is not allowed. That type of behavior is what gives everyone a black eye. If you are shooting a high powered rifle into rocky ground, who knows where the bullet could end up? People need to use some common sense.

Personally I have never met anyone up there who was unfriendly and they have even pointed out good spots to set up targets and clay throwers. I belong to a couple of clubs, which are closer to my home, but sometimes it is much more fun to get out in the woods. Just remember to find appropriate safe spots in the National Forest, leave the place cleaner than how you found it, be polite and don't get into conflicts with other people.

Alright... everybody is back safe... :s0114:

We managed to spend three hours of quality drive time and man was I way off on my guess as to that shooting location!!

This time though I had the GPS with us so just as it was getting dark and I was beginning to think that we weren't going to find the spot... the roads started looking familiar. :D

I'm attaching an ACTUAL place file for Google Earth and I put into the properties tab of the place file a web link to a Mapquest aerial map of the spot (since the Google imagery in the area is extremely poor). You'll need to rename the attachment to ".kmz" again in order to open it with Google Earth.

For those who want to just see the aerial photo, here is the link: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=D....514543:-122.974785:0:::::/io:0:::::f:EN:M:/e
Hello Zero and others,
Can I get a little help with getting directions to the DeWatto shooting site? I am having trouble converting the file to .kmz That seems to be beyond my computer pay grade .
I would really enjoy a road trip to a safe shooting place. And yes, i will haul out more than my share of trash.
Thanks

Wow, talk about thread resurrection!!

Doug, to "convert" the .txt file attached to post #16 (http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14323&postcount=16) just save it to your computer hard drive and change the three letters after the "." from txt to kmz

Then you should be able to double click the kmz file and it'll open up Google Earth and fly you to the spot (assuming you have Google Earth installed on your system).

You could also just view the aerial photo link in that same post and then zoom out to "locate" it. :s0155:

Frankly, this reminds me that I need to make a trip out there again since it's been months. (Been doing most of my shooting at Tacoma Rifle & Revolver Club).

Thanks Zero.. I will try again. I also shoot at TRRC. Just had an unnecessary run in with an over-zealous un-official "range master" at TRRC that now has me looking for some solitude.

THAT is too bad. Fortunately I've never had any issues with the un-offs... yet. But I can definitely understand how the experience would be a BIG negative towards going back as often.

I really need to get back out to Dewatto... been WAY to long.

Thanks Zero. Your instructions and directions worked great. Now I need to reload lots for the outing. Got to get there before the weather turns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top