JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok folks. Not sure how many people know. Now I do. The place mentioned here in previous posts up Forest Spring Rd is now an official "NO TARGET SHOOTING" location. I went for a little drive to check out my back yard shooting areas and there are what appear to be brand new signs stating the quoted phrase. I guess I understand because the place was pretty trashed. :( I won't go on a rant here because I think most of us on this forum respect the places that are still available. I thought I would save people the trip I just made if you were thinking of going that way. I guess I'll break down and join a range club. The spot at bear creek/tahuya blacksmith rd is still usable if you don't mind shooting at the ground to stay safe. Good luck everyone and happy shooting... Where ever you can find a spot.

Yeah, I just tried to use the Forest Springs road place today. Was disappointed to see the new signs and ended up using the Bear Creek/Tahuya-Blacksmith road place. Made it quite a bit longer drive to get there this time and I'd packed for shooting near the car so my gear was hard to carry. XD

That is unfortunate... the only times I've even been remotely close has been with driver training for the kids so I never have managed to actually drive up the road to check it out. :( The area on Google Earth looks pretty big... do the signs cover ALL the areas up there?

And shame on the jokers who trashed the place!!! :bash:

Pretty much, there are signs on the main road going into the area and then a few more scattered about as you go farther in. :( It looks like I'll need to do some more exploring out here, but it's getting impossible to find anyplace on the peninsula that has a good backstop and isn't a hike in.

Someone pointed me to a place in the Tahuya area that I have been to a couple times this year. It may have been mentioned here already. Take Dewatto Bay Rd north from Belfair Tahuya Rd. Go past the entrance to Forest Springs by about 2 miles. Turn right onto Bear Creek Dewatto Rd. Turn right on Tahuya Blacksmith Rd. Bear right around a lake to stay on Tahuya Blacksmith, you will go past a couple houses. The road turns to gravel, and then you drive another mile or so. The spot is the most obvious clearing on the right just as the road takes a sharp left, and has it a gate there. There are a few no shooting signs on the way there, but this spot is not marked.

There isn't a lot of room, but my brother-in-law and I shot shotguns there and felt pretty comfortable. There is a slow rising hill for about 50 yards that we used as a back stop. There are some targets on trees above the crest of the hill, but I didn't feel comfortable shooting at those because there's no back stop.

The area is pretty clean; some shotgun shells in the bushes and a few plastic bottles here and there. I cleaned up more than my share each time, don't want this place to get taken down too!

One question: I haven't shot clay pigeons before. Is it safe to be shooting into the air at them when they are thrown? I feel like the shot dissipates and loses energy pretty fast, so it would be safe to do this, but how far does the shot travel? I know there is a road a few miles away, would it travel that far?

Thanks!

I removed a TON of areas in the Tahuya area after overlaying property maps. A lot of places that people are going to shoot are not state or federal land, but private property owned by tree farms etc.

Make sure you are shooting on public property, or have permission to shoot from the land owner.

Someone pointed me to a place in the Tahuya area that I have been to a couple times this year. It may have been mentioned here already. Take Dewatto Bay Rd north from Belfair Tahuya Rd. Go past the entrance to Forest Springs by about 2 miles. Turn right onto Bear Creek Dewatto Rd. Turn right on Tahuya Blacksmith Rd. Bear right around a lake to stay on Tahuya Blacksmith, you will go past a couple houses. The road turns to gravel, and then you drive another mile or so. The spot is the most obvious clearing on the right just as the road takes a sharp left, and has it a gate there. There are a few no shooting signs on the way there, but this spot is not marked.

You could probably get there quite a bit quicker if you are coming from Port Orchard by coming out the Old Belfair Highway and going up Bear Creek-Dewatto Rd directly to the second NE Tahuya-Blacksmith Rd instead of circling around.

I'm in the Tacoma area as well looking of recent information on available spots for some outdoor plinking. Searching through this thread and others I see a few potential sites but I'm curious if anyone knows their current status/condition (or if anyone has any other suggestions).

1) Olympia Capital forest gravel pit/s - I see several references to this area. It seems nearish but I see some reports of it being very crowded/dangerous and possibly closed?

2) Greenwater off SF70 a site or sites near here - Again several references I'd be interested to know if its still open, I might need to call the Forest service to find out?

3) Elbe/Ashford - Maybe a pit out this way but I'm not sure its on forest land/parks land?

I haven't heard anything good or bad regarding those places. I go to Bulls Eye indoor range in Tacoma by the Tacoma Dome. They have a limit on kind of caliber u can shoot. Has to do with feet per second of the round. I've always had good experiences there. Good luck!

I'm in the Tacoma area as well looking of recent information on available spots for some outdoor plinking. Searching through this thread and others I see a few potential sites but I'm curious if anyone knows their current status/condition (or if anyone has any other suggestions).

1) Olympia Capital forest gravel pit/s - I see several references to this area. It seems nearish but I see some reports of it being very crowded/dangerous and possibly closed?

2) Greenwater off SF70 a site or sites near here - Again several references I'd be interested to know if its still open, I might need to call the Forest service to find out?

3) Elbe/Ashford - Maybe a pit out this way but I'm not sure its on forest land/parks land?

I was just at Greenwater last weekend. Still open for shooting. Ive heard of lots of sketchy shooters out there, but we always get there early so we have the place to ourselves.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top