JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I was enjoying the lovely spring day shooting a wheelgun and the wacky-tacky sporterized M1 carbine, when:

• Uh-oh, malfunction.
  • Run action. No worky.
  • Run again. Still no worky. Cartridge won't go into battery.
  • Pull the magazine and ... :eek:. A bool-it is stuck shortly past the chamber.
I returned home and pushed out the bullet with a cleaning rod, gave the firearm a light cleaning, and put it away for now. I could not get a great shot of the bullet stuck, but this is it after I pounded it out:

1651436589116.png
1651436782534.png

It does not appear to have engaged the rifling.

Ammunition is surplus South Korean .30 Carbine. I've had great luck with the stuff thus far, but this one was, obviously, an issue.

Queries:

• Hazard a guess on what happened? Primer but no powder?
  • Would you take the carbine to a gunsmith to double check all is OK or would you consider that overkill?
Thanks!

Primer but no powder?
Did you hear the primer 'pop' on that round that possibly pushed the bullet out?

I assume when you ejected the case you didn't see any unburned powder spill out.

If not, I agree with a uncharged round and carry on! Many of us have had a 'squib' and just knocked the bullet out, checked, cleaned and fired away!

Pretty sure I heard a primer pop. I didn't see any powder come out of a case, but I did notice what looked like grains of sand splattered about the chamber and action. I cleaned it up with some Ballistol. The action appears to cycle with no issue and I see no visible signs of damage.

Old ammo likely the culprit. Primer popped, no powder burns, this happens.

Interesting one for sure.
I still have a mini list of ammo i don't have, for guns i now own :oops: Mostly not available, or rare enough to be incredibly past the reasonable price point, so not buying it :D
Not sure where Korean surplus fits in here :D
.30 carbine
6.5 Swedish
45.70 gov

The "sand" you saw in and cleaned out of the action was probably unburned powder. Which tends to indicate the cartridge was charged but the powder didn't ignite. Maybe this cartridge had gotten wet some time in the past.

Considering that the charge didn't ignite, there was no generation of substantial pressure to damage the gun. I'd pass on a gunsmith evaluation.

Since another bullet wasn't sent up the bore behind the one doing the obstructing, I'd claim no foul and go shootin. This is a reminder to check when something doesn't "seem' right.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top