JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For .22's, I like using a <broken link removed> for cleaning. It works similar to a bore snake; essentially a piece of heavy-duty plastic wire with a stopper at the end to hold a patch or felt piece. Just pierce the patch and slide it down to the end, run the plastic wire through the barrel at the breech end, and pull the patch through.

I checked out the Patchworm. Looks pretty good actually. Wipe it down after use (same as a cleaning rod) and it should work great. I ordered one to try it out. Thanks for mentioning it Sun195.

For what it is worth to you..
When I bought several different Butler Creek barrels for my 10/22's over the years, the instructions tell you that you shouldn't have to clean during it's life.
They tell you to clean the preservative out of the bore first, then not again unless you dump in the dirt, or get an obstruction.

My oldest barrel has north of 9,000 rounds down the pipe from ground squirrel trips. Still haven't cleaned the bore.

If your not going to shoot your firearm for awhile, you shouldn't use RemOil... It evaporates very quick.. So does the Hoppes Elite...
The best (IMHO) is the original Hoppes #9...

Ruger has a good instructional video on youtube..
[video=youtube_share;kB6Mfl_2AMo]http://youtu.be/kB6Mfl_2AMo[/video]

In the video they use an Otis style Braided steel cable.

Also on youtube search for "the plate of truth". Its a test of solvents and oils on a steel plate that shows plainly how well they work.

Everybody's pretty much right in their own way. For almost all (not just .22 rimfire) my cleaning sequence is like this:First, 1 or 2 patches soaked with Hoppe's #9 through the bore(from the breech if possible, if not, from the muzzle). Second, 10 or 15 strokes with a brass brush dipped in Hoppe's #9. Follow with dry patch, then wet one with more Hoppe's. Repeat brass brush treatment then dry and soaked patch sequence. 2 or 3 reps. is usually enough for me - my brother repeats until there is NO dirt or discoloration. Finish with a patch soaked in oil, then one dry one to wipe out excess. Check for threads or lint. This has worked on our family's guns for over 50 years - they have worked hard but still operate (and almost look) like new.
We used to say the sun never sets on a dirty gun, but have slacked off a bit in the last 10 years. Still no problems.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top