JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are the "must have" cleaning accessories for a 22lr Semi auto rifle:

Since its a semi auto rifle we have to use only bore snakes to clean the barrel? no ?

Is it OK to put the cleaning rod in the barrel from the bullet exit side?

Can somebody pls suggest some solvents and cleaning kits ?

Thanks in advance.

Jacketed, go to Bi-Mart and get a cleaning kit for a .22 rifle, metal brush, solvent and gun oil. The cleaning kit will consist of 3 rods that screw into each other and two plastic tips that screw into the end opposite the handle. I use Hoppe's powder solvent and Hoppe's #9 gun oil. There are other products and I have no "stay away from this" recommendations. Cut an old t-shirt into 1/2" squares, or maybe a little bigger, and use those with your plastic tip on the cleaning rod. A bore snake is not necessary. I try to clean from the breech rather than the muzzle, but I'm not fanatical about it. Look for your model and the word "clean" on youtube; you might find a video about how to clean it.

take the stock off
scrub the bore
lightly oil the bore
use brakeclean or similar to wash out action
blow out with compressed air
spray with rem oil or wd40
put the stock back on and go shooting

So Hoppes #9 is used to clean the bore right ? I have read about it that it dissolves copper so I believe we have to run couple of patches only through it correct?

Also I saw a cleaning video where the guy says the cleaning rod should be covered, meaning it should have a rubber or plastic sleeve over metal. The walmart cleaning kit has open metal rods which can damage the bore ? true false ?

Thank you for your responses.

You might grab a bottle of Hoppes Elite instead of #9, it does a good job but has almost no smell (thus the girlfriend/wife doesn't throw you out of the house and make you scare the neighbors while cleaning up)

So here is what I understand :) :
Cleaning steps after shooting:

- run some patches dipped in Hoppes #9 or Hoppes Elite
- run dry patches to clean out the hoppes solution from the barrel.
- run patches with rem oil.
- general receiver cleaning

good to store away the gun.

Pls correct me if I am wrong :)

Thanks in advance.

Since its a semi auto rifle we have to use only bore snakes to clean the barrel? no ?

Is it OK to put the cleaning rod in the barrel from the bullet exit side?

The bore snake will eventually scratch the bore, the buildup of burnt carbon collects in the fibre and is very abrasive over time. I can tell if a snake has been used to clean a used gun and I won't buy it at any price. Think of it this way, you won't continue to use the same cleaning patch over and over for months or years. How is a snake different?

A stainless cleaning rod is hard enough that it doesn't accumulate grit where as snakes, aluminum and brass rods do.

If cleaning from the muzzle end, use a centering guide. They fit inside the bore and keep the rod from touching the rifling. Work well if you can't access it from the chamber end.

Hoppes and CLP by Breakfree are great. RIG the bore if you're storing it for a time. Swab out before shooting again.

The bore snake will eventually scratch the bore, the buildup of burnt carbon collects in the fibre and is very abrasive over time. I can tell if a snake has been used to clean a used gun and I won't buy it at any price. Think of it this way, you won't continue to use the same cleaning patch over and over for months or years. How is a snake different?
You can clean bore snakes.
You should also be cleaning your rods after use to prevent crap from collecting on them. Trailboss seems to think he has some spidey sense about barrels cleaned with bore snakes. He demonizes them every chances he gets. and until he can prove it conclusively he is blowing hot air in the wind.
He is entitled to his opinion, but that is all it is

So after doing lot of research I have finally decided to get a bolt action 22lr. The marlin xt-22R to be specific :)

So I guess I don't need the bore snake anymore :). Cleaning rods it is. Now the question is, what rods. Are there any specific type make manufacturer you recommend?

Thanks.

You can clean bore snakes.
You should also be cleaning your rods after use to prevent crap from collecting on them. Trailboss seems to think he has some spidey sense about barrels cleaned with bore snakes. He demonizes them every chances he gets. and until he can prove it conclusively he is blowing hot air in the wind.
He is entitled to his opinion, but that is all it is

It's interesting that this was only the second time I commented on the bore snakes, but twice seems excessive to you. Interesting that any negative words about them upsets you. I suppose a person could wash the thing every time it's used. Not a bad idea, in fact pretty good suggestion.

You're welcome to your own opinion as well. It's not spidey sense I have but a bore scope. You might want to borrow one and check your rifle if you've been using a snake. You'll be surprised at what you see. Of course, if you have a selfish interest (maybe you sell the things?), then you won't bother. Whatever, the things are the worse accessory ever made for firearms unless washed well after every use.

It's interesting that this was only the second time I commented on the bore snakes, but twice seems excessive to you. Interesting that any negative words about them upsets you. I suppose a person could wash the thing every time it's used. Not a bad idea, in fact pretty good suggestion.

Never said anything was excessive. That is your false assumption. Never said anything upset me. again you are making a false assumption.
Which bore scope do you, a real quality professional machine or something like the Northern Light hobby set. and since i need to borrow one just send me yours to use for a while.

Thanks for that info Trailboss. I'd never heard of it before and appreciate you pitching it out for us. As I don't use a snake, I'm not worried about my personal stuff. Do you have any links to this (or similar) info? Not saying what you say isn't true, but I'm a tad surprised as gun metal is extremely hard.

To the OP, as you seem to be trial and erroring this let me add this: be careful what you do to store your new .22. I had left a bb gun in my basement and was shocked to see that the barrel was rusting a scant 5 months later. Now I have a full on (totally overkill) system for my regular guns (which tend to be parkerized and have rust resistant plating on the exterior). As moisture is heavy, it tends to collect in basements, but if you live on the west side moisture is throughout your house. Goes like this.

Gun Safe: Goldenrod in the safe always plugged in. Amazon.com: GoldenRod 12 inch Gun Saver Dehumidifier GS-12: Home & Kitchen

2 Reusable plug in desiccant which get rotated. They Eva Drys have worked well. Remington's fail early. Amazon.com: Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer: Home & Kitchen

Use of Eezox as a light coating before storage. The Gun Zone -- Corrosion Test and another test Corrosion Protection Products for Rifles, Shooting, Benchrest Competition, Varminting and Firearms Storage You can click on the thumbnail below to see it better.
Test2_43hoursWEB500.jpg

And finally: dehumidifier for the room. It can pull out a gallon of water out of the air in a day. A good one will tell you what the percentage of humidity in the room is, and you can set it drop it to what you chose. Furthermore, they are sold based on size (large areas or wetter areas need a larger one), and if you have a lot of moisture in your area, getting one that has a hose connection and run it on continuous-drain mode,. ie you can run through a drain that will relive you of emptying a gallon of water out of it daily. They looks something like this: <broken link removed>

Today it may only be a .22, tomorrow you've bought a Sig P210. Take care of your firearms, they'll take care of you for a long time. You may already know all of this, but I thought I'd just pitch it out there cause someone else might not. Don't mean to be talking down to anyone or anything.

regards to all

Test2_43hoursWEB500.jpg

For .22's, I like using a <broken link removed> for cleaning. It works similar to a bore snake; essentially a piece of heavy-duty plastic wire with a stopper at the end to hold a patch or felt piece. Just pierce the patch and slide it down to the end, run the plastic wire through the barrel at the breech end, and pull the patch through.

Thanks for that info Trailboss. I'd never heard of it before and appreciate you pitching it out for us. As I don't use a snake, I'm not worried about my personal stuff. Do you have any links to this (or similar) info? Not saying what you say isn't true, but I'm a tad surprised as gun metal is extremely hard.

To the OP, as you seem to be trial and erroring this let me add this: be careful what you do to store your new .22. I had left a bb gun in my basement and was shocked to see that the barrel was rusting a scant 5 months later. Now I have a full on (totally overkill) system for my regular guns (which tend to be parkerized and have rust resistant plating on the exterior). As moisture is heavy, it tends to collect in basements, but if you live on the west side moisture is throughout your house. Goes like this.

Gun Safe: Goldenrod in the safe always plugged in. Amazon.com: GoldenRod 12 inch Gun Saver Dehumidifier GS-12: Home & Kitchen

2 Reusable plug in desiccant which get rotated. They Eva Drys have worked well. Remington's fail early. Amazon.com: Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer: Home & Kitchen

Use of Eezox as a light coating before storage. The Gun Zone -- Corrosion Test and another test Corrosion Protection Products for Rifles, Shooting, Benchrest Competition, Varminting and Firearms Storage You can click on the thumbnail below to see it better.
View attachment 41182

And finally: dehumidifier for the room. It can pull out a gallon of water out of the air in a day. A good one will tell you what the percentage of humidity in the room is, and you can set it drop it to what you chose. Furthermore, they are sold based on size (large areas or wetter areas need a larger one), and if you have a lot of moisture in your area, getting one that has a hose connection and run it on continuous-drain mode,. ie you can run through a drain that will relive you of emptying a gallon of water out of it daily. They looks something like this: <broken link removed>

Today it may only be a .22, tomorrow you've bought a Sig P210. Take care of your firearms, they'll take care of you for a long time. You may already know all of this, but I thought I'd just pitch it out there cause someone else might not. Don't mean to be talking down to anyone or anything.

regards to all

Thanks for the info. This is going to be my first firearm ever so good pointers on storage.
I am planning to clean it and oil it after every shoot and store it locked in the rifle case till I am ready to shoot again :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top