Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

classifieds question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by taylor, Apr 18, 2011.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Why is it some folks cover the serial number on the pictures of their guns? I'm getting ready to post a few of my own and wondered if it was something I should know.

2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Government agencies sometimes troll sites like this one to record such info, and many gun owners/buyers don't want the serial number info just handed out to everyone

3. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

You mean they would go into the websites database to find names, addresses to match up with particular firearms?

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

One possible answer is that someone could claim ownership of that firearm if they have the complete serial number. Example being, not paid in full, stolen or they say it was on loan and want it back. Some people will go to great lengths to just cause misery and make a fast buck off decent folks.

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Maybe.. they would say they are recording the serial number so they can check to see if it's stolen, etc

6. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates WA Member

I just do it out of habit. I've been editing out serials ever since I sold guitars. Once, before I edited out numbers, somebody used my photos of one of my guitars to create a fraudulent eBay auction and scam some poor guy out of a cool grand. Since then, I've been editing out numbers. Hard to claim a guitar is yours if you don't know anything about it.