JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
With maybe a little grammar nazi thrown in. Would it really kill some of you to use a capitol occasionally, and how about a period once in awhile? Also, a dollar sign in front of(not behind) the price could prove helpful, I was just looking at an ad for a gun I know nothing about, the way the (no dollar sign) price was positioned, I thought it was a model designation. Trust me, if your ad is just one long run-on sentence that makes it hard to even figure out WHAT you're selling, never mind how much, it's probably not going to sell as fast as it might otherwise, if at all. I realize a lot of us use phones and tablets, but that's no excuse for butchering the language, I'm on my iPad right now. Oh, yeah, and how about proof reading BEFORE you post? Amazing the silly mistakes you catch doing that, especially if you're using a phone or tablet. Okay, rant ended (for now), later.

Dave
Damn, youre doing great if thats all that bothers you about some of the classified ads here. :D What irritates me, are the guys claiming their "like new" rifles are sub 1/2 moa, but said rifle has only been fired 10 times, but looks like it was drug down a dirt road for 10 miles. Oh, i could go on and on.

Last Edited:
Sounds like most of us were properly or at least reasonably educated. We understand the proper use of certain words and we understand punctuation...

It amazes me what the colleges and universities are producing as educated individuals today...

And for the record, predictive spelling and autocorrection are perhaps two of mans worse inventions, constantly trip me up...
If it even allows you to write words that you know and it doesn't...
That program has the literary skills of a 6th grader!

With maybe a little grammar nazi thrown in. Would it really kill some of you to use a capitol occasionally, and how about a period once in awhile? Also, a dollar sign in front of(not behind) the price could prove helpful, I was just looking at an ad for a gun I know nothing about, the way the (no dollar sign) price was positioned, I thought it was a model designation. Trust me, if your ad is just one long run-on sentence that makes it hard to even figure out WHAT you're selling, never mind how much, it's probably not going to sell as fast as it might otherwise, if at all. I realize a lot of us use phones and tablets, but that's no excuse for butchering the language, I'm on my iPad right now. Oh, yeah, and how about proof reading BEFORE you post? Amazing the silly mistakes you catch doing that, especially if you're using a phone or tablet. Okay, rant ended (for now), later.

Dave
If you are going to pick the fly poop outta the pepper, better check yours first.

"capital" not "capitol".

"nazi" should be "Nazi"

"awhile" should be "a while".

of(not behind) - try some spaces now and then.

Some of the most articulate, and intelligent people I have met, have poor grammar.
What some assume is laziness, is actually that the brain works faster then the communication to the keyboard on many people. Because there is right and left brain activity, as well as hormone, and adrenaline feeds to the brain, when people are speaking about things they are passionate about. The cognitive triggers that supply the abilities to understand language are complex, very complex. So why it may bother some, many are just very quick thinkers is what it boils down to.

Just my two pennies !

Having a poor description sure doesn't help someone get a good price on an item that they have for sale. But if a buyer is willing to put in the work, and go through with a deal on one of these poorly written adds, I bet they are paying less in cash because there isn't very many other buyers that would go through the hassle. Less cash, more in time and frustration dealing with the seller!

No, more often than not it turns out to be someone trying to sell a Del-Ton or PSA parts kit they put together (without much of a clue how to do it properly) and haven't shot or have 100 rounds through it and are expounding it's great reliability.

But that's cool, people got stuff they want to sell and I believe it is the consumer's responsibility to be informed, hence my stance and since this is a rant thread, there you have it.

SHPD_retired for me it's you're avatar.

My complaint about classifieds recently is the "I'll take the AYA shot gun" thread said I got the photos.
Call the text ph. # and I get a "I don't have a shotgun for sale".
UUH....

Their should be a rule that people's can't not properly grammatteratize there posts properly or they're posts will get deleted.

I have a real good addition to the thread, but I don't dare post it because I can't spell, one hand types faster than the other and some times one is slower than the other, I'm dyslexic and get letters mixed up sometimes, I have a tendency to think 5 words ahead with one hand and 6 ahead with the other... and since it always sounds perfect in my head, I don't proof read.

<sigh> I guess with all of those faults I'll never be able to post on here again. But believe me, had I typed something, it would have been great and you would have all loved it.

Mike

One of the smartest men I know can't spell many common words correctly. He can build a 40' steel sailboat in his back yard though.

What I absolutely cannot stand is seeing an item I want that's priced at twice what I want to pay.

I'm not saying the item is inappropriately priced, it's just that I'm cheap.

I get a kick out of the people who post rubbish like that. I mean were u really taught 5th grade grammar by bozo the clown? Seriously??? Personally, I think it's done purposefully to grind certain peoples gears:p

I keep telling my kids that learning to communicate properly is incredibly important, and will serve you very well in life.

Poor communication skills, written or verbal, don't make you less of a person, but the reality is that people do judge you by your ability to communicate clearly.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads