JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After going to the clean up at North Fork Wolf Creek Road, and seeing the AR9's, it got me thinking "What's next"

So, I love building AR's and if I go that route, I'll do the PSA AR9 build. The other option would be the Mech Tech on a Glock 19.

Advantages of both are that they use Glock magazines.

Are there pros and cons that jump out as to why one over the other?

I'm not sure if you shot mine while up there the other day. I couldn't recall. If not I'm sorry.

My first pistol cal was before the craze. I hipster'd the PCC craze with an early gen Beretta CX4 Storm roughly 6 years ago. Loved it. Sold it like an idiot. From there that range gun material lacked in my life and I was eager to have it again.

About 3 years ago I worked briefly at TNW in vernonia. Got to play with their carbines. Let's just say they could use a heavy look at construction. Though those built with good parts likely ran fine, I got to see how poor ethics could make a decent platform worse.

Maybe two years ago I did a brief attempt at the Sub 2000. It's a unique little gun folding in half and such. I just couldn't fall in love with it. Great truck gun, poor range gun. It also kicked pretty good and had a solid plastic stock to make sure you knew it. Not to mention, no last round bolt hold.

I went through two home brew AR15 builds in 9mm after that when the Glock lowers started coming around for cheap. While perfectly fine I still didn't like how much they kicked. They also lacked a last round hold open. I spent a lot of time on heavy buffers and different springs. Sold the second one not too long ago to go full circle.

I ended up back with a Beretta CX4 again. Seeing as this was were I started I was content. Though not perfect, the gun was built for 9mm and seems to not kick as much. Though the bolt is massive, it doesn't fly rearward nearly as fast as everything else I tried. It has a last round bolt hold open. I don't particularly like the stock, as it is a thumb hole design and it makes getting to the magazine release nearly impossible with the dominant hand. The hammer is also plastic which is kind of weird. It also didn't take all the Glock magazines I had lying around.

Over the summer I was able to try a Cmmg Guard in 45acp. It was pricey and had a proprietary delayed blowback system. It had all the things I wanted. Glock Mags, last round, low recoil, AR components. But, 45acp.

This November they released the 9mm. I was doing a little dance. I was in a sell off to get one.

However in that time I nearly bought this.
FX-9 PISTOL

I think the only other main guns I never looked at were the CZ Scorpion and the Sig. Both didn't meet the "Glock mag" criteria so I didn't give them too much thought. Though the CZ would likely be a damn good choice.

Edit: OP I'd go with a ARbuild over the magtech. I guess it depends on what you want in the gun. I see my PCC's as dedicated range guns. Ideally for plinking steel at closer ranges. I also like that I own an AR in 556 that is very similar to my CMMG so that practicing at the range with inexpensive 9mm makes for easy transition.

Reno911 summarized the options better than I can. I was going to mention the new CMMG Guard lineup until reading down that far...

OP, are you sold on Glock mags if going AR9? They're more prone to BHO and feeding issues, although the new Stern mag block would be worth looking into as a potential solution to both. Colt SMG mags are worth considering, unless you're trying to stay all-Glock for compatibility with a handgun.

PSA has pretty much discontinued their AR9 lineup. Take that into account for future parts. I haven't seen any announcements as to whether they'll be reintroducing stuff.

Just saw that Lone Wolf teamed up with Flint River Armory to rerelease the CSA45 under Lone Wolf branding. Yes 45 for now, but it looks like 9mm kids right around the corner. 2018 may be the year we see more PCCs with better recoil management.

Lone Wolf Distributors - AW-PCC45-C

One of our local IDPA shooters bought a Magtech... he has indicated it is plenty reliable, yet quite heavy. 16" barrel, his has the paratrooper stock. He likes it but for IDPA would prefer something that points/swings faster.

Nice package!!

Hmmm... CMMG Guard = $1399, CZ Skorpion EVO = $999, Berreta CX Storm = $698, FX9 = $599, HiPoint = Nah.
Tell me about it. That's why I almost jumped ship from the CMMG. Glad I didn't though. I still may end up getting one of these in there rifle configuration down the road.

@Reno911 - can you expand on your TNW experience at/with their ASR/ASP's? I just picked one up and have not had any issues but have only run about 200 rounds through it.

@Reno911 - can you expand on your TNW experience at/with their ASR/ASP's? I just picked one up and have not had any issues but have only run about 200 rounds through it.
How new is yours? If it has relief cuts in the upper receiver your probably fine. I still don't like a few of the design aspects, but they aren't horrible.

I witnessed some poor business practices and some shady stuff working there. Let's just say when I arrived the main tech assembling guns didn't even know what a roll pin punch was, much less a pin press. It was common to send out guns that had a punch marks on the sides of the receiver from the tech missing the roll pin and hitting the receiver. There's a few other things. PM me if you want more details. I think since I've left they have made some changes for the better. I don't really know, but it won't be enough for me to buy one or recommend one to anyone.

I'm not sure how old it is. I picked up on here used for a song (I think) and it's been good. I will have to check for relief cuts in the receiver. Where would I look for these?

I think your use may determine which direction you go. USPSA competition? Plinking? Home defense? What about how much money you've got?

Here's a big one...do you already have huge numbers of Glock magazines? If so, then Glock mags is a big feature you need.

I'm not sure how old it is. I picked up on here used for a song (I think) and it's been good. I will have to check for relief cuts in the receiver. Where would I look for these?
New one vs old. They started using third party machined extractors once the reviewer cuts became permanent. The reciever cuts help brass clear the ejection port which was a huge issue prior. This with the new extractors virtually eliminated many of the failure to eject.

TNW-Firearms-Aero-Survival-Rifle-Build-Kit-80-Receiver-660x360-660x360.jpg
TNW-Firearms-9MM-ASR.jpg

I like the Colt mags, especially since I picked up a mag lula for them. Works awesome as the colt mags are thought to load the last 10 or so into. I have the msg mags on my PSA AR9.

Here's my TNW ASP in 9mm, non colt mags obviously. It appears that the mag well is not flared as well. Still no FTE's to speak of yet.

AB49E1A4-835C-499C-B91B-63A9B483EE07.jpeg