JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys.

Just thought I would share some info on the CHL time line.

I submitted my CHL application about 4 days ago by mail to Washington County.
I already received my appointment which is in the next 10 days.

So there still is HOPE! :s0155:

That's great news! I am planning on submitting my CHL application to Washington County in the VERY near future. I don't even want to think about going through Multnomah Co. :s0131:

That's great news! I am planning on submitting my CHL application to Washington County in the VERY near future. I don't even want to think about going through Multnomah Co. :s0131:

If you are from Washington State you might have a problem. Oregon only issues CHL for Washington State residents if there is ONLY a "REAL" and "Compelling" reason.
Washington State on the other hand is the EASIEST to get an out of state CHL if you are from Oregon.

Just a heads up.

I understand. I thought I would go through Wash. Co. for a few reasons. First, it's not Mult. Co. Second, until a few years ago I lived in Wa. Co. Third, I still have family and friends in that county and I visit there often (read: spend money there). Fourth, from what I understand, Wa. Co. is a bit more lenient in issuing non-resident permits to WA residents, especially those from neighboring Clark Co. For crying out loud, I go to school in OR, and work there frequently as well. It gets ridiculous making the decision of where to go out with my wife for dinner based on whether or not we might cross the bridge. Fifth, did I mention that it's not Multnomah County? ;)

They will have it to you on the exact day when the deadline expires. They purposely wait as long as they have to, which makes the whole process quite disconcerting, even though they print the license right there in front of your face the first day.

They will have it to you on the exact day when the deadline expires. They purposely wait as long as they have to, which makes the whole process quite disconcerting, even though they print the license right there in front of your face the first day.

That sucks. Do they hope you get robbed, shot and killed before they have to give you your CHL?

It's always the Law Abiding citizen that gets screwed. :nuts:

If you are from Washington State you might have a problem. Oregon only issues CHL for Washington State residents if there is ONLY a "REAL" and "Compelling" reason.
Washington State on the other hand is the EASIEST to get an out of state CHL if you are from Oregon.

Just a heads up.

I am a resident of Washington state and I have just received my WA county conceal carry permit for Oregon. I did previously in live in Washington county before moving to Vancouver area. But the sheriff in Washington county is most reasonble guy in the area. I wrote them a long letter telling them why I needed the permit. I believe if you write them a good one page or two page letter explaining your needs, whatever they may be they will issue you it. Just tell them that you are a gold or gem collector or that your job requires you to make business purchases or that you carry a lot of money around with you while you do commerce in Washington county. You can also say you do most of your shopping in Washington county. They don't really do any background checking here, just the fact you write them a well written letter where you express your situation or concerns is usually enough. I was surprised at how quick the permi was issued, about 2.5 weeks. However, the letter of approval took about two weeks or so to get to me. If you call the sheriff office, however, they can tell you whether or not you were approved much quicker, which is what I did.

In my case, this was true, since I do a lot of shopping of computer equipment and do lot of business in Washington county. I like shopping in Beaverton/Hillsboro (NO SALES TAX). :s0114: And WA county is easier for me to get around on weekends than Multnomah.

Just tell them that you are a gold or gem collector or that your job requires you to make business purchases or that you carry a lot of money around with you while you do commerce in Washington county.

I don't understand why you are advocating people lie to the sheriff. You should just tell them the truth. I am sure that if you told them that you are a law abiding gun freak just like the rest of us and that you wanted to be legal while on one of your many trips into the state, the sheriff would give you credit for being honest. Seems to me that the truth is always more effective than untruths.

I got my Oregon permit last fall. Took the class, filled out the paperwork, had my appointment 3-4 weeks later. I live in Vancouver and did the permit process it in Portland. No hassles at that time.

I did submit a letter that I spend a lot of time in Oregon, do banking, shopping and other personal and business transactions there, sometimes carry cash. Also mentioned that I go hiking in the the mountains and have concern about 4-legged critters. At one time I did locate real estate for possible multi-unit apartment buildings, so I mentioned that.

I'm 55...maybe they have more scrutiny with younger guys?

I was lazy, despite being told to go through Columbia County (borders Clark County).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top