JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last I heard that has long been a non starter. The BATF had, may still have a program to allow someone to get their gun rights back but, last I heard they long ago just stopped funding it. So even though you can get a state to expunge the conviction the Feds still will deny anything gun when they are asked.
You should see if your browser has refreshed yet.....restoration and exercise of such right is still possible as long as you are eligible

Not true. If the state gives them back,your good.
You can call this "not true" all you want. The Feds will still deny you the sale of a gun at a dealer. If you are found with one the Feds will prosecute you. It's this kind of internet advice that can get people in a lot of trouble. Telling the judge in Federal Court some guy on the net told me........ Will not do much good.

But if it's on the internet it's true. I thought everyone knew that. :rolleyes:
You can call this "not true" all you want. The Feds will still deny you the sale of a gun at a dealer. If you are found with one the Feds will prosecute you. It's this kind of internet advice that can get people in a lot of trouble. Telling the judge in Federal Court some guy on the net told me........ Will not do much good.

But if it's on the internet it's true. I thought everyone knew that. :rolleyes:
LOL, yes the net and now days social media has been the downfall of many.:eek:
I was quite shocked when I found how far the Feds would go on this. One place I used to work we helped people who had done something stupid when young. In that state if they had done all they had to do and been good for 5 years we could show them how to get rights back. It cost almost nothing but a lot of leg work. Parole Officer would show them how to fill out all the paper work and such for free. They would end up with a judge expunging the conviction. They could then Vote and were no longer a convicted felon. Well then one of them found out the Feds did not see it that way when he wanted to go hunting again. State had no problem but Feds did. A little more checking with lawyers and we found out it was a mess.The PO we were working with said a Governors pardon would get around this he "thought." Don't know if any of them started jumping through the hoops to go to that or not to test it. The BATF had or has a system for this but I long ago read they had just stopped funding it. So in essence it did not exist. Looked it up for a guy I worked with a while ago and it showed it on their site at that time. Saying basically sorry, pound sand.

I did something stupid when I as 18. I now have 2 different state CPL. I have had problems with delays and was even denied once,got to have a nice conversation with a ATF agent. After a couple weeks he called me and said no problem. Just to make sure I have no more issues I applied for a UPIN and now I get proceeds within minutes of filing on new purchases. So ya I do know what I'm talking about

Yeah cause that's why a 4473 and the fbi specifically address expungemant and set aside records as officially ok.

It's ok with the feds. Without the Full Faith and Credit Clause, people would be sol. It's that simple. No federal agent is going to arrest someone. No one is going to file charges. He's gtg.

Yeah cause that's why a 4473 and the fbi specifically address expungemant and set aside records as officially ok.

It's ok with the feds. Without the Full Faith and Credit Clause, people would be sol. It's that simple. No federal agent is going to arrest someone. No one is going to file charges. He's gtg.

That darn pesky question 11c. Nothing more needs to be said. Mic drop. Set aside or expunged answer question by saying....NO

As far as op's original issue...I think I know why. They view it as conflict. I live in Linn, but here's an excerpt from their website:

Oregon law allows for the denial of a concealed handgun license if you have a history which shows an inclination toward confrontation with others, including neighbors, family members, etc. You may also be denied a concealed handgun license if you have a history of conflict with law enforcement officers, offenses with firearms, documented problems involving alcohol and/or drug abuse.

Relative of mine had enough Seconal in possession to be charged with felony 50 or so years ago... copped to a misdemeanor. Went to buy a pistol 20 years ago and was denied. Took it all the way to Assistant Director of BATF. She laughed at him and then got irate, said he was never getting off their list since she considered him a felon. He never got lawyer cuz he didn't have the money and didn't want the hassle. I wish he knew it was so easy peasy.

I'm with the idea of a personal visit with Sheriff first. I don't know about Eugene or Portland, but most of them are pretty good guys... gotta stay responsive to the residents of the county or they don't get re-elected.

As far as op's original issue...I think I know why. They view it as conflict. I live in Linn, but here's an excerpt from their website:

Oregon law allows for the denial of a concealed handgun license if you have a history which shows an inclination toward confrontation with others, including neighbors, family members, etc. You may also be denied a concealed handgun license if you have a history of conflict with law enforcement officers, offenses with firearms, documented problems involving alcohol and/or drug abuse.

Language to that effect appears on every county application I've ever seen. Interestingly, it is not in the law the covers issuance of a CHL. As OP has an otherwise clean record, I'd imagine that is what tripped him up. Lane county has details on expunging an arrest record here. However, he should, imho, consult a lawyer to navigate the process of getting it removed from his record and obtaining a CHL.

Is your wife then still your wife now?

If she's still in the picture and truly believes you shouldn't be denied a CHL based on a seemingly explainable isolated incident, it might be worth the two of you asking for a short appointment with the Sheriff. I don't know what sort of wiggle-room he has, but he might reconsider in light of her calm personal endorsement now that some time has passed.

Caveat: I'm no legal beagle. So maybe this isn't a good idea at all, and a specialized lawyer might be in order. Start with a few phone calls and see who seems to have some experience with this specific issue.

Or maybe it's exactly what a barrister might recommend, with some choice legal verbiage thrown in to fully address the point.

I would have a sit down with the Sheriff and talk it out. They are usually very understanding and a man up face to face on your part may help.

LOL. When my wife and I had our first appointment to get our CHLs, after a six month wait because they were backed up with applications, we asked the clerk "When do we meet with the Sheriff"? She just laughed and replied "He is too busy to handle these little things" In other words he is too busy to meet with the little people. Yeah, too busy remodeling his house to show up at the office!

Is your wife then still your wife now?

If she's still in the picture and truly believes you shouldn't be denied a CHL based on a seemingly explainable isolated incident, it might be worth the two of you asking for a short appointment with the Sheriff. I don't know what sort of wiggle-room he has, but he might reconsider in light of her calm personal endorsement now that some time has passed.

Caveat: I'm no legal beagle. So maybe this isn't a good idea at all, and a specialized lawyer might be in order. Start with a few phone calls and see who seems to have some experience with this specific issue.

Or maybe it's exactly what a barrister might recommend, with some choice legal verbiage thrown in to fully address the point.
Yes, we still married and thats a pretty good idea!

I had my CHL for almost 3 years in California without in incident then moved to Portland and was denied my CHL for a non-violent misdemeanor from 4 years before. The first thing I did was sit down and write the Sheriff a letter asking them to reconsider and explained why I thought I deserved my CHL. He called me personally and explained the situation and gave me a better explanation than the letter gave. He was very respectful and in a matter of months I had my license. If you truly deserve it simply step up and talk to them respectfully like someone that deserves their CHL and it can be as simple as that.

LOL, yes the net and now days social media has been the downfall of many.:eek:
I was quite shocked when I found how far the Feds would go on this. One place I used to work we helped people who had done something stupid when young. In that state if they had done all they had to do and been good for 5 years we could show them how to get rights back. It cost almost nothing but a lot of leg work. Parole Officer would show them how to fill out all the paper work and such for free. They would end up with a judge expunging the conviction. They could then Vote and were no longer a convicted felon. Well then one of them found out the Feds did not see it that way when he wanted to go hunting again. State had no problem but Feds did. A little more checking with lawyers and we found out it was a mess.The PO we were working with said a Governors pardon would get around this he "thought." Don't know if any of them started jumping through the hoops to go to that or not to test it. The BATF had or has a system for this but I long ago read they had just stopped funding it. So in essence it did not exist. Looked it up for a guy I worked with a while ago and it showed it on their site at that time. Saying basically sorry, pound sand.

The Feds only have a say on the restoration of rights if it is a federal crime tried in a federal court, if it is then as you say you are boned as the avenues to restore rights are simply no longer supported. If you lost your rights because of a charge brought against you in a state court that state has the ability (although not all do) to restore your rights.

During a NICI check the FBI uses a database of state information that the state in question can modify. The FBI itself can only consider what the state supplied if it's a state charge.

I had a state felony charge that in the state that gave it to me resulted in a lifetime ban on firearms possession. The only way around it was a pardon, which I got. If the governor would not have granted it the only other option I would have had was a presidential pardon.

My experience was that they want to grant pardons to those that deserve them. In my state they only grant a couple a year and it takes 3 years plus to get one but I know several folks who have been pardoned.

The pardon allows you to truthfully answer that you have never been convicted of a felony crime, because that's what a pardon is, it makes it as if it never happened as far as your rights and record are concerned.

And for the record I have both an Oregon CHL and Washington CPL and a dozen NFA items

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads