JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know it's illegal to carry in federal offices and courtrooms, but what about state offices? I have read ORS 166 many times over and it is unclear to me whether you'd be legal CCing at the Oregon state DMV, for instance. I always had it in my mind that state offices were not off limits, but just read an article that says they are. There is so much misinformation out there from what should be credible sources that it's hard to nail it down.

It is unclear to authorities, too.

In my city, the DMV and the State Police are located in the same building.

I had DMV business this spring. When I rolled up, I saw no signs specifically prohibiting weapons, which ARE posted at the county courthouse. So I went into the State Police side and asked. After the fourth person said, "I don't know, do they have anything posted?", we decided as long as I remained concealed it was a non-issue.

166.360 is poorly written, for sure!

I cannot find a written contraindication specifically for DMV offices.

Not a lawyer. Just a big reader!

I was reading this article:

"Castilleja said while Oregon is an open carry state, there are a few places where people cannot have guns, such as in a government building like the DMV or the post office."

I find it funny where signs are/are not sometimes. For example, a mall near me has a gun store in it, yet at one particular entrance to that mall, it states no weapons. I decided as long as I don't use that door, all is well. I've also seen the same at gov buildings of different jurisdictions.

we decided as long as I remained concealed it was a non-issue.
sort of begs the question of 'what happens should an accidental exposure of a grip/etc occur?' don't you think?

And who would actually want to discover such answer in the knee-jerk response some of the news stories published recently?

Similar, just a couple of weeks ago. Now you and I are responsible for putting two new drivers on the road. :eek:
2nd in two years. Got one more in two more years. When the first one got hers, Safeco jacked my rates up to an insane level. Dumped them and switched to Amica and it only cost me about $600 more per year instead of $2000 more. I switched everything though including home owners and even added earthquake insurance which was pretty cheap. Amica really came thru better than USAA.

As has been mentioned, concealed means concealed... I always carry when I find myself at the DMV. Period.

Besides have you seen most of the critters that hang around the DMV offices :eek:
My point is that there is a lot of confusing, inaccurate information coming from official sources about where and when you can carry. USCCA even has an error on their Oregon page, stating that non-residents cannot get CHLs in Oregon.

If it's not specifically prohibited in the law then it's legal.
Courthouses and jails are mentioned specifically... no go.
DMVs are not mentioned... keep it concealed.

A CHL exempts us from a patchwork of stupid municipal laws that easily trip-up non lisencees with regards to "time, place, and manner". I say "keep it concealed" because it's best to avoid an ugly situation w a citizen or LEO who's ignorant of the law. Yes, that's just like, my opinion, man... but I'm not wrong.

I was reading this article:

"Castilleja said while Oregon is an open carry state, there are a few places where people cannot have guns, such as in a government building like the DMV or the post office."

I used to live in St. Helens, and that newspaper regularly botched facts. I knew the officer that was quoted, as we both had the same employer. I can say for certain that the local DMV in St. Helens had the entrance posted with a no weapons sign, but I cannot comment if every DMV in the state has the same policy. As a CHL holder it is a personal responsibility to ensure where you are carrying is legal, especially in private property or businesses. For instance, most Target stores don't have signage at the entrance but their policy is no guns; a person would be in violation if carrying in that particular establishment, particularly if they used their gun in a self defense situation.
A good guy to ask on this would be Kevin Starrett from Oregon Firearms Federation. He pens a book that EVERY gun owner in Oregon should read if not own.

Also, check out this link on prohibited places:

I do all the time.

Oregon DMV:
D2DWTXDGYCOICUB2PYY6EPE7BY.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show