JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why is your state/city laws the fault of lawyers who had nothing to do with enacting them? WA is a shall issue state with no training requirements, just fingerprints, background check and a relatively low fee. Almost as close to a right as we have in Idaho!

Because only lawyers would argue that the verbiage in the second amendment does no include concealing arms, only baring them, as in, out for everyone to see all the time. There shouldn't even be a conceal carry permit, the notion conflicts with the entire intent of the right.

For those who think they are being abused by the system, try getting one if you live in Hawaii. The Governor doesn't even have one. California can issue but the Chief of Police makes the decision, and you better have a good reason, so it is not a slam dunk. My personal opinion is that Oregon makes it too easy. When I got mine at the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office quite a few years ago, I got the feeling the majority of the class didn't know the "front strap from the back strap" on their weapon. Just my two cents.

^^^^ True. Non-state residents can apply for a CHL license in any county in Oregon

Not quite true. First Oregon will only issue non residents a Oregon CHL if the resident is in an adjoining state. Oregon wont issue to any other states beyond this. Second some sheriff's do not issue non resident CHL at all. The Oregon law only applies to residents for the shall issue law. So a sheriff has the right to not issue an out of state permit if he chooses. Of course the applicant can simply apply in a different county since he isn't restricted to a particular county of residence like Oregonians are.

For those who think they are being abused by the system, try getting one if you live in Hawaii. The Governor doesn't even have one. California can issue but the Chief of Police makes the decision, and you better have a good reason, so it is not a slam dunk. My personal opinion is that Oregon makes it too easy. When I got mine at the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office quite a few years ago, I got the feeling the majority of the class didn't know the "front strap from the back strap" on their weapon. Just my two cents.

I'm sorry, but having the attitude: "be happy with the infringements you have - they could be worse" is a mindset counterproductive to restoring the liberties endowed by the creator.

From the requirements needed to even apply for a CHL in Oregon, I highly doubt your description of applicants. Since Oregon requires the applicant to "be proficient" it allows a list of ways the applicant must provide the sheriff's office to show they've either got previous military experience (DD214 etc.) or they'passed certification through various approved training. This training can be law enforcement training, NRA training, or even showing proof you are on a pistol team where you shoot competitively. I used this last one way back when CHL's first opened up in Oregon. But I'd also taken a CHL class, and was a veteran, so I had several options.
Nobody without one of the required mandates can apply and get a CHL, so not sure how someone would be completely oblivious to a gun and get a CHL here?

Does your drivers license identify as a CHL card?

...asking for a friend.

No. But any officer running your driver's license number will immediately know you have or haven't got a CHL. The law requires you carry your CHL with you whenever you carry. So just carrying your driver's license and a handgun is a violation. Need to carry both to be legal.

No. But any officer running your driver's license number will immediately know you have or haven't got a CHL. The law requires you carry your CHL with you whenever you carry. So just carrying your driver's license and a handgun is a violation. Need to carry both to be legal.
A little humor attempt, hope it wasn't lost on the seriousness of the thread.

You can do anything if you identify as a protected class. I identify as a member of the Kennedy family too.

Because only lawyers would argue that the verbiage in the second amendment does no include concealing arms, only baring them, as in, out for everyone to see all the time. There shouldn't even be a conceal carry permit, the notion conflicts with the entire intent of the right.
There are plenty of 2A lawyers who will and have argued that the constitution protects all methods of bearing arms. And there are those who argue that because of the militia clause, the right includes weapons useful on the battle field, such as machine guns, and the like. While the notion may conflict with the intent of the right, the reality is that most states regulate and limit carrying of concealed weapons. In the real world, concealed carry permits, especially Idaho's enhanced permit is very useful, in that, it is recognized in 41 states and for those non residents that have one it is recognized in 36 states.

Last Edited:
I was in the same boat. They cancelled my appt so I sent them an email asking what to do. For renewals, WA county only needs the renewal paperwork and the $50 check. They reuse your old photo and send you a new license in the mail. No need for another interview or new picture as stipulated on the website. Got my renewed license a couple weeks later.
I tried that right away when they put that option out there. Unfortunately for me, they no longer have my BC on file, and the sent my check back with a letter stating such, so I have to do the renewal appointment route.

Sorry to have opened a can of worms. That was certainly not my intent (and of course I took the training class which is required). I hope no one was offended.

Sorry to have opened a can of worms. That was certainly not my intent (and of course I took the training class which is required). I hope no one was offended.
You have to try harder than your previous attempts to offend around here.

There are plenty of 2A lawyers who will and have argued that the constitution protects all methods of bearing arms. And there are those who argue that because of the militia clause, the right includes weapons useful on the battle field, such as machine guns, and the like. While the notion may conflict with the intent of the right, the reality is that most states regulate and limit carrying of concealed weapons. In the real world, concealed carry permits, especially Idaho's enhanced permit is very useful, in that, it is recognized in 41 states and for those non residents that have one it is recognized in 36 states.

Understood - that the reality is different than what should be, however, the premise that a CC permit is needed to legally conceal a firearm contradicts the intent established by the 2nd amendment included in the bill of rights. No founding father would have agreed to the notion that a citizen needed (permission) via permit to carry a firearm in a manner that was not visible at all times. Whether a state is shall issue or not, it's irrelevant, its a right stolen from the people and sold back to them as a privilege with permit. We can probably agree that those involved in criminal activity don't care about concealing without a permit, therefore it is entirely a burden on the law abiding, has no effect whatsoever on illegal activity and essentially only serves to take money from, and hinder good citizens.

So I've been waiting since early march to get an appointment, and my CHL permit. I just got another cancellation email for WA county. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just move...
I am a Washington resident that just renewed my Oregon non resident permit. I did it on-line at the Clatsop County Sheriff's website. It was fast, easy and the confirmation call to collect my payment method was quick, courteous and pleasant. Might be worth your time to scout your local SO website.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top