JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been waiting since early march to get an appointment, and my CHL permit. I just got another cancellation email for WA county. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just move...

Bummer. Don't give up hope, things should start getting back to normal soon. WA County is very firearm friendly! :)

it's unfortunate conceal carry is deemed a privilege and not a right, dang lawyers, I'm sure the founding fathers of would have something to say about that. "You can carry it openly, but you can't conceal it under 1mm of fabric" - definitely not.

Not being able to conceal would suck, but I suppose open carry would get an awakening in Seattle and really that just shows how stupid politicians are. Can you imagine the calamity of me having to unload the carry piece and reload it every time I got in and out of the car. Quick trip to the grocery store now becomes me racking the slide on a pistol every time I get out of the car in the grocery store parking lot, people will love that.

it's unfortunate conceal carry is deemed a privilege and not a right, dang lawyers, I'm sure the founding fathers of would have something to say about that. "You can carry it openly, but you can't conceal it under 1mm of fabric" - definitely not.

Not being able to conceal would suck, but I suppose open carry would get an awakening in Seattle and really that just shows how stupid politicians are. Can you imagine the calamity of me having to unload the carry piece and reload it every time I got in and out of the car. Quick trip to the grocery store now becomes me racking the slide on a pistol every time I get out of the car in the grocery store parking lot, people will love that.
Why is your state/city laws the fault of lawyers who had nothing to do with enacting them? WA is a shall issue state with no training requirements, just fingerprints, background check and a relatively low fee. Almost as close to a right as we have in Idaho!

(...) WA County is very firearm friendly! :)

This.

I had my appointment for something like 3:15pm. I showed up at 3:00pm and was out-the-door, concealed permit in hand, by 3:12pm. I believe my comment at the time was, "damn, if only all government run functions could be so good."

Once the covid-19 stuff begins to subside, you'll be good to go.

So I've been waiting since early march to get an appointment, and my CHL permit. I just got another cancellation email for WA county. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just move...
Anything that can be done on line they are still doing. I moved and had to do a change of address. Did the application on line and mailed them a check.
OP— make a new appointment 2-3 weeks out and they should be open again. And people are correct, WCSO is very gun friendly.

This is from the WCSO website:

UPDATE AS OF 3/19/2020 - Due to public health restrictions related to COVID-19 Concealed Handgun License is CLOSED. Renewal applications may be submitted through the mail. Updates will added as information is available.

I'm not too familiar with the laws in Oregon as far as concealed carry licensing goes. Why do you have to go to specific county? When I got my chl in Oregon several years ago; I took the class (in Washington), and was told by the instructor NOT to go to Multnomah Co., as they charged additional fees, but to go to Columbia Co. Just curious why you don't, or can't go to a different county?

Anything that can be done on line they are still doing. I moved and had to do a change of address. Did the application on line and mailed them a check.
OP— make a new appointment 2-3 weeks out and they should be open again. And people are correct, WCSO is very gun friendly.
My renewal is in the same situation as OP. They have removed the calendar options. Each time my appt has been cancelled I did as you suggested, but it isn't even possible anymore.

My renewal is in the same situation as OP. They have removed the calendar options. Each time my appt has been cancelled I did as you suggested, but it isn't even possible anymore.
Due to the COVID 19 mess everything is just held in abeyance. Even if your license is expired it is considered still valid until they reopen. You would be in a grace period (much like DMV-DEQ). I'll bet in a couple of weeks they will reopen once the governor says its OK to do so. You should be able to continue to carry until they do. When I emailed in my app for a COA I got an immediate answer(couple of hours) and told me where to send my $$. Done.

That said, if you are waiting to get your initial permit I would not carry without it. Even though Oregon is an open carry state Oregon allows individual cities(not counties) to make an exception within city limits. Usual suspects here...Beaverton, Tigard, Portland, etc do not allow open carry. But it is your choice if you choose to or not.

Idaho FULL. :s0001:
ID could use ALL the pro rights people you can get. You have a flood of the other kind rolling in monthly. As always happens when they leave some sewer they created, they start using voting to turn the new place into the same sewer they ran from. It really is a mental disorder with most of them. Do the same things over and over and expect a different result. :s0054:

I was in the same boat. They cancelled my appt so I sent them an email asking what to do. For renewals, WA county only needs the renewal paperwork and the $50 check. They reuse your old photo and send you a new license in the mail. No need for another interview or new picture as stipulated on the website. Got my renewed license a couple weeks later.

For the OP: Since you are a new applicant, I say send the CHL department an email <[email protected]>. They are very good about responding and will help get you squared away. They may not be able to help you out right now, but maybe you can get on their waitlist or something.

I'm not too familiar with the laws in Oregon as far as concealed carry licensing goes. Why do you have to go to specific county? When I got my chl in Oregon several years ago; I took the class (in Washington), and was told by the instructor NOT to go to Multnomah Co., as they charged additional fees, but to go to Columbia Co. Just curious why you don't, or can't go to a different county?

OR residents are required to get their permit in the county where they reside.

They are issued by the County you live in. And if my memory is correct, someone out of state they can choose a county.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top