Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Checking in firearms on military base.

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by brianjronk, Apr 25, 2011.

1. brianjronk

brianjronk Marysville, WA Active Member

Does anyone know how much of a PITA it is to check in a weapon on a military base? Specifically Ft. Lewis and Everett Naval Base?

2. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member

It's generally not much of an issue in my experience. Go to your chain if command and tell them you want to store a weapon and they'll get you squared away on the paperwork. Most units will let you keep 'em in the unit arms room depending on space availability. The process may get a bit more invovled if the unit doesn't have space and you have to goto a post, depot level, or some other arms room. stick with storage at the company/ battery / troop level if possible. But procedures do vary from one place to another so it'd be best to start off by asking someone at battalion hq- the S2/S3 should be up to speed on local regs.

3. Buddhalux

Buddhalux Hillsboro, Oregon Active Member

And be prepared to have to get the CO to sign paperwork for you to check it out of the arms room just to clean it.

4. juggaloxxl

juggaloxxl roseburg New Member

not much of a pain but..... i always clean my guns and there were several times i pulled them out of the armory and they were dirty...

5. brianjronk

brianjronk Marysville, WA Active Member

Edit: I am not actually attached to any unit on these bases. I am active duty at the University of Washington and all my records are kept in Ft. Lewis and all my medical is done on Everett, so I have no command on either of these bases. If I were to drive up to the gate and declare a firearm, would they just turn me away or have me store it somewhere?

6. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member

I would recommend not just driving up to the gate & declaring a firearm; some overzealous PFC or worse yet overzealous lt. may just mishandle the situation. Call the provost marshal's office, they will be able to give you the specific info for that location

(the biggest differenct between a private first class & a 2nd lieutenant is that the pfc has been promoted twice)

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

LMAO.... hey, I was worth TWICE as much as a PFC than any butterbar laying around looking to get saluted.