JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for options for a first cheap revolver. Mostly just want something I can blast ammo with, not concerned about any crazy accuracy more of just reliable.

Looking myself online but thought some of you may have ideas!

yer gunna get what ya pay for.
seriously though, with safety in mind, buy something decent, not necessarily the top shelf gun, but a quality good used and time tested variety. I say this so you will have a good experience and keep your fingers attached to your wrist.

There are some older smiths and rugers out there, and others.

what caliber you wanting, does make a difference in my choices, and double or single action???

yer gunna get what ya pay for.
seriously though, with safety in mind, buy something decent, not necessarily the top shelf gun, but a quality good used and time tested variety. I say this so you will have a good experience and keep your fingers attached to your wrist.

There are some older smiths and rugers out there, and others.

what caliber you wanting, does make a difference in my choices, and double or single action???
Would prefer double action. Not too picky about caliber but 357 or 44 mag would be fun, open to other options so long as its not a 22 haha.

While not "cheap" but inexpensive as far as firearms go:
Ruger models :
Security Six and used GP100's are out there to had and make a excellent choice in .357 Magnum.

I also like the S&W models 28 and 19 for .357 Magnum.
S&W models 10 and 15 ( .38 Special only ) are very good choices as well.
That said , prices for a good S&W revolver are steadily rising...if you ever wanted one , buy one now.

I do agree with the "You get what you pay for..." saying.
There is a world of difference between "Cheap" and "inexpensive".
Andy

There are a couple of revolver brands that are on the lower end of the price scale and will cover the OP's wants/needs.

The Taurus 66 is the "copy" of a K-frame S&W. Some are a little nicer than the others, but they are certainly serviceable guns. A friend of mine bought a 6" blued 357 back in the mid 80's that is a peach. Nice trigger, nice bluing and is a very good shooter. Another friend packs a Taurus 85, very similar to J-frame, in 38 Special. My nephew has one of the 9 shot (i think) 22 revolver.
Charter Arms makes reliable, although not so purdy, revolvers that are known to be good working guns.

With these two options you can buy a new gun at a very reasonable price. The advice given to buy a used gun to save money is sound. Often times a bunch of money can be saved, although I'm not seeing too darn many "great deals" on Smith revolvers anymore, with the exception of a couple of snubbies. The prices are rising on the pre-lock models rapidly!

Seen decent prices on used EAA revolvers that garnered much interest.
I personally have no experience with the brand however. As mentioned, Ruger is good stuff.

What's your definition of cheap? 38 special ok? Armscor m200 or m206 can be had just over $200. They're pretty decent. I recently bought a S&W 64 for $249 plus shipping, credit card fee, and transfer fee. Came to right about $300. The EAA windicator seems like I can be had under $300 used. Used Ruger Blackhawk can be had used under $400 if you're patient. Used Ruger GP100 under $450 also if you look hard enough. There is even a used Colt 38 on Armslist for around $350. But let us know your budget.

I was usually looking at $450 and under because I'm terrible at saving money. Now I've found that a local store has layaway. Bought myself a 44 mag for my 44th birthday. Got a brand new S&W 69 2.75"

Bryan

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. Wouldn't own a Rossi or a RIA either. Best bet for a great revolver under $400 is a used SW Model 10 or 65 4"; reliable, smooth, accurate. The Rugers i.e. Gp100/sp101 will do fine also but weigh 30% more than their SW counterparts due to using beefed up frames to counter the inherent fragility of cast vs forged frames. SW revolvers are like potato chips. Can't enjoy just one! Don't be tempted into a 2" j-frame SW alloy carry piece as your first revolver. Less fun to shoot due to recoil and takes lots of practice to become accurate enough to reliably pop soda cans at 20yards. 4" steel frame, no problem.

if you are looking for fun cheap shooting, and NOT a .22, I'd lean towards spending a little more and getting a .357. As you know, the .357 can shoot a .38 without any problems. Shooting .38 will save some $$$. Then when you want it for hiking, camping, etc. you can load it up with .357 and have a nice little self defense gun that you are comfortable/familiar with.

Don't not try to save a few $$$ by buying a .38 thinking you can run .357 through it. .357 will blow up a .38. :eek:

The RIA has a model 10 look like - cheap but I have had good luck with RIA. I have handled them at freddies - i thinks its a model 206. For gun you dont mine dinging or leaving in the truck. I have nicer revovlers but ths one piques my interest. I think it was around 250$
Rock Island Armory M206 .38 Special Revolver Review

I'd probably stay away from the off brands myself. If you are looking for a fun "Plinking/shootin' stuff at the range gun" don't get a snubby, 2"-3" inch barrel gun. They're just too hard to get accuracy with if you're not experienced. The short sight radius (distance from rear sight to front site) makes it harder to aim. The recoil will be more with a lighter gun also.

Take the advice from above and look for used S&W or Ruger revolvers. Go to gun shows and peruse the used sections of dealers tables.

I'd probably stay away from the off brands myself. If you are looking for a fun "Plinking/shootin' stuff at the range gun" don't get a snubby, 2"-3" inch barrel gun. They're just too hard to get accuracy with if you're not experienced. The short sight radius (distance from rear sight to front site) makes it harder to aim. The recoil will be more with a lighter gun also.

Take the advice from above and look for used S&W or Ruger revolvers. Go to gun shows and peruse the used sections of dealers tables.
I have found that most of the time when a person is told that it wont work then it simply doesnt. If you arent told it wont work you have a much better chance of being successful with it. Learn to shoot a snubby and see how much better you shoot a longer barreled revolver.

It's been my experience that the biggest drawbacks to buying cheap are that they aren't always accurate (and no fun to shoot) and frequently they break. Parts can be almost impossible to get. Buy Quality and you'll likely only have to pay for it once.

It's been my experience that the biggest drawbacks to buying cheap are that they aren't always accurate (and no fun to shoot) and frequently they break. Parts can be almost impossible to get. Buy Quality and you'll likely only have to pay for it once.

Some S&W and Colt parts are getting rather scarce.

I have found that most of the time when a person is told that it wont work then it simply doesnt. If you arent told it wont work you have a much better chance of being successful with it. Learn to shoot a snubby and see how much better you shoot a longer barreled revolver.

I will agree and disagree....If you're a complete noob to shooting, buying a little short barreled gun for your first gun is a mistake. If you've been in the game for awhile and learned proper grip, trigger discipline, stance etc, then fine tuning your technique using a gun with a short sight radius would be good training. I was a noob only six years ago. I would imagine if a person had 40 or 50 years of gun handling under their belt they mat not remember the frustration that Wifey and I had.

I guess we don't even know if the OP is new to guns?

if you are looking for fun cheap shooting, and NOT a .22, I'd lean towards spending a little more and getting a .357. As you know, the .357 can shoot a .38 without any problems. Shooting .38 will save some $$$. Then when you want it for hiking, camping, etc. you can load it up with .357 and have a nice little self defense gun that you are comfortable/familiar with.

Don't not try to save a few $$$ by buying a .38 thinking you can run .357 through it. .357 will blow up a .38. :eek:

No. .357 wont fit in a .38. o_O

You new guys need to get your guns 101 down.

Last Edited:
No. .357 wont fit in a .38. o_O
Now that's where you are, or could be, wrong. Some of the cheap Revolvers are so poorly made that a gun marked .38 Special WILL accept a .357 Magnum round:mad::mad::mad:! I've also seen .22 Long Rifle Rimfire Guns that will accept .22 Magnum:mad:! Dangerous, H_ll Yes, but how do you sue the business when it's in South America or South Africa!

Now that's where you are, or could be, wrong. Some of the cheap Revolvers are so poorly made that a gun marked .38 Special WILL accept a .357 Magnum round:mad::mad::mad:! I've also seen .22 Long Rifle Rimfire Guns that will accept .22 Magnum:mad:! Dangerous, H_ll Yes, but how do you sue the business when it's in South America or South Africa!

Show me one. o_O