JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_0268.JPG I saw these at an Atlanta gunshow last June :

Wow! Really? I don't know where you get your information about Ruger revolver frames, but you need to look elsewhere for your information. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
Ruger revolvers are incredibly strong, but I didn't recommend them because because they aren't that inexpensive. We won't get into the fact that even being a Ruger fan, I'm not that thrilled with how they look.

Not going to bite on this, but will direct you to a really good forum read on cast vs forged... S&W Forged vs Ruger Cast? - The Firing Line Forums

I own both Ruger and SW revolvers. Love them both. Just differently designed.

If you can find one....I'd say that ROSSI (the older ones, don't know about the new ones) are good to go. The internals have the familiar look of a S&W. Some other brands may look like a S&W externally, but internally they are night and day. If you needed work to be done on a ROSSI, most gunsmiths will be familiar. Though parts are harder to come by.

Warning, manufacturers with "life time warranties" are sometimes not worth the extra trouble. Of course your particular situation may differ. *Sometimes, local laws may require that "everything" go through an FFL. Which could add to the costs involved vs just finding a local gunsmith for repairs. Even shipping a firearm can be complicated and costly.

*Thankfully, not so much here. Yet.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The Best Buy for the money is probably a lightly used police trade in Smith and Wesson. Places like J&G and CDNN put them on sale (get the hand select) for 250.00 or less. They will be in 38 special or 357, frequently stainless today. 2 years ago I bought a 6" Combat Masterpice in 38 from the state of South Dakota at one of my government auctions. It was purchased as a training gun just before they switched over to semi autos so is nearly unused. Blue is 99%, never carried in a holster, adjustable sights, magnificent hand assembled gun. It was less than 200.00 including FFL charges. I gave it to my youngest son. It is almost too fine to shoot. It is a myth that all police guns are worn out. Most get carried and seldom fired.

Should have used the word inexpensive. Not looking to blow my hand off obviously with sub par constructed firearms. Very interested in that Taurus 65. Although new at sportsmans it's about the same price just matte black instead of nickel?

About Revolvers, They are like watches, lots of moving parts in there.

Even the premium brands wear and go out of time. They all require some care and feeding.

If you are patient, you can get a good used Smith or Ruger for what sportsman's is charging for the Taurus.

If you take care of it, that Smith or Ruger will be out plinking with your grandkids.

About Revolvers, They are like watches, lots of moving parts in there.

Even the premium brands wear and go out of time. They all require some care and feeding.

If you are patient, you can get a good used Smith or Ruger for what sportsman's is charging for the Taurus.

If you take care of it, that Smith or Ruger will be out plinking with your grandkids.

Good advice right there. :s0155:

Looking for options for a first cheap revolver. Mostly just want something I can blast ammo with, not concerned about any crazy accuracy more of just reliable.

Looking myself online but thought some of you may have ideas!

Buy junk take the risk, You can purchase a Taurus revolver and regardless of what other people say, life time warranted against any defect. More than I can say for S$W that had to yield to Taurus and play the match game when S$W was producing crap in the 1980s. I love old S&Ws they just made some bad decisions here and there and I got stuck more than once.

I'm sure the OP is smarter than this, but it reminds me of an acquaintance many years ago who said he wanted to buy a good revolver.

He was over at the house so I brought out my revolvers for him to get some idea of what might suit him best. As much as he said he wanted a "revolver", he soon pointed to my old Ruger Standard .22 automatic and said "No, I want a revolver more like that one."

As far as he knew, every handgun was a "revolver". :)

I'm sure the OP is smarter than this, but it reminds me of an acquaintance many years ago who said he wanted to buy a good revolver.

He was over at the house so I brought out my revolvers for him to get some idea of what might suit him best. As much as he said he wanted a "revolver", he soon pointed to my old Ruger Standard .22 automatic and said "No, I want a revolver more like that one."

As far as he knew, every handgun was a "revolver". :)
Sounds like my wife.. "I'll be happy with a sack-cloth dress (or whatever)".. when she really means she'll never be happy.

just kidding, not married.

I'd go Ruger gp100 in 357 myself. Its a good gun. Much cheaper than I am seeing the smith & wesson stuff. I read the original post and I think Ruger. Is it the best? No. Is it respectable and safe and good enough for most of us? I think so.

I like mine. I also like my Blackhawk.

I'd go Ruger gp100 in 357 myself. Its a good gun. Is it the best? No. Is it respectable and safe and good enough for most of us? I think so.

I like mine. I also like my Blackhawk.

I've owned several Blackhawks and have really liked all of them, I just don't shoot them well. Anyone looking for a single action revolver to use needs to look no farther than the Ruger Blackhawk.
When it comes to a mid sized frame, double action revolver, The Ruger GP100 is likely the toughest of the bunch. However, it's not as nicely finished as a Smith & Wesson, nor is it as stylish. If you want Hell for Stout, Tough as Nails and don't care about the finer points, or want to address them yourself, the Ruger is the ticket. I have tremendous faith in Ruger firearms for a reason. I believe that Gaston Glock worshiped at Bill Ruger's altar. The GP100 will do you no wrong.
I am drawn to the SP101 more than the GP100. Like it's bigger brother, it's a tough little bugger. Also like it's bigger brother, it's on the heavy side for it's class, but in this class it's not far off. And it's really hard to hurt one with too many rounds of 357.

If you can find either one in your price range, I would recommend buying.

A couple of points, when buying used you need to know how to spot an abused or worn out gun, Revolver or Auto Loader there are several good you tube channels and maybe someone here can recommend a couple that show you what to watch for.

Then there is a slight mistake. A 357 can't blow up a 38spl, because it is too long and can't chamber, same with any magnum load including 22LR / 22 magnum which is exactly why they made them that way. A 357 is a stretched 38 on steroids.
You can however safely fire 38spl in a 357 gun!
Used Colt, S&W and Ruger, you can't go wrong with them if they have been cared for reasonably well, and any of the three will still be here long after we're dead and gone, given reasonable care!
Good hunting!
BTW if you know someone that is really knowledgeable talk them into shopping with you, buy them lunch for their trouble, and pick their brains, money well spent.

I fight shy of Taurus due to the repeated instances of poor quality control I'm going to get bashed because they have a great warranty and Joe blow has had his for 20 years trouble free! Well they had much better QC 20 years ago just as every other maker out there, but we're talking today, it just isn't worth the hassle. Spend a little more to get a good gun and keep it! You'll be glad you did.
Gabby

Last Edited:
A couple of points, when buying used you need to know how to spot an abused or worn out gun, Revolver or Auto Loader there are several good you tube channels and maybe someone here can recommend a couple that show you what to watch for.

Then there is a slight mistake. A 357 can't blow up a 38spl, because it is too long and can't chamber, same with any magnum load including 22LR / 22 magnum which is exactly why they made them that way. A 357 is a stretched 38 on steroids.
You can however safely fire 38spl in a 357 gun!
Used Colt, S&W and Ruger, you can't go wrong with them if they have been cared for reasonably well, and any of the three will still be here long after we're dead and gone, given reasonable care!
Good hunting!
BTW if you know someone that is really knowledgeable talk them into shopping with you, buy them lunch for their trouble, and pick their brains, money well spent.

I fight shy of Taurus due to the repeated instances of poor quality control I'm going to get bashed because they have a great warranty and Joe blow has had his for 20 years trouble free! Well they had much better QC 20 years ago just as every other maker out there, but we're talking today, it just isn't worth the hassle. Spend a little more to get a good gun and keep it! You'll be glad you did.
Gabby
I was selling guns when the first Taurus revolvers came to market. They were nominally cheaper than a Smith or Colt but pure junk. We sold 6 of them that came in our first shipment, everyone came back and for many different reasons. Some had chambers so rough you could hardly get the fired brass to extract, one had internal parts brake and locked up the entire revolver. They were a clone built with worn out tooling bought from Smith and Wesson. I have never considered one since. Saving a few dollars on a lifetime investment by sacrificing quality is just dumb. I have both Colts (my preferred brand) and Smiths, never have lost money or value on either and never worried if they were going to function.

Last Edited:
To me the question of whether to buy cheap or to buy quality depends entirely on usage, much like any tool.

Take Harbor Freight for instance. I'm sure many here look down their nose at Harbor Freight but if I want a hammer (or any other tool) that I might use once in a while, just to have in the garage or garden shed when I need one, might sit there for years and never get touched, then I'll buy one at Harbor Freight. Sure it's cheap Chinese junk, but it will work fine for the intended purpose.

If I need a hammer that I'm going to use daily, or value as part of a nice tool set to use for a lifetime, I'm going to spend the extra money and buy a good one.

If you're going to keep your new gun and enjoy shooting it a lot, the advice to save up some extra money and buy quality is very sound. Like many others have said, good quality used guns can be found for about the same price as new cheap guns if you have some patience. One of my favorite guns is a S&W model 66, 4" .357 mag. I bought it at a local gun shop a few years ago for $350. The serial number dates it to 1972 and it needed an endshake bearing (simple fix), but it shoots great. To me it's just about perfect in every way for a .357 mag revolver.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top