JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am changing all the locks on my new hose this weekend.. I am trying to decide on a few things..

My door inventory:
Front Door: currently a solid wood, with a couple little triangle windows near the top, no way could you bust one out and reach the locks, also there are no side lights either. Currently setup is a deadbolt and locking handle on the same key. I plan on replacing this door in the near future with a steel insulated door. This door will hardly ever be used as there is little front street parking, and our garage is located in the back alley, as with a few extra park spots.

Back Door: currently a steel insulated door, with a deadbolt and standard non-locking handle. This door is about with (4) glass windows, easily could be broken and reached inside.

Detached Garage Door currently a solid steel insulated door, with a deadbolt and standard non-locking handle.

My questions are:
1) Should I put the same key for everything, or does that seem risky if you happen to lose a key?

2) Do you really need a locking knob if you have a deadbolt, seems like a waste, I guess thy would have to pick two locks rather than one.

3) We like our back door with small windows, we know its not safe so we figure lets just get a deadbolt with a key hole on both sides as then you can bash the window and not turn the lock. Good idea or extreme fire hazard?

4) The detached garage will be like my workshop I plan on heavily reinforcing the garage door/man door, plus it will be easy since it has not been sheet rocked.

5) Thoughts on the keypad or biometric locks, they are spendy but do they offer any additional security over a key lock? Or are you just paying for the "cool factor"

6) I plan on putting actual locks on the lift up garage door, they have the slider lock bars with lock holes. I would be parking my motorcycle in the garage but no cars so I want to keep it secure. So just a heavy duty padlock on the lock bar should do it?

--an alarm system is to come next once I get my $8000 from the government :)

1) I would recommend the Quickset locks with the quick key system. You can find them at Home Depot and other box stores. They are a good residential lock and are easy to re key if someone looses keys. It takes about 30 seconds to re key them. Also easy to re key for service access ( contractors, etc) and then re key the lock for your access only.

2) It's easier to pull the door closed and lock the deadbolt with the lower lock. It's also more secure.

3) There is a hazard with a double deadbolt but if you hide a key nearby and everyone knows where it is that will reduce the hazard.

4) Since it has not been rocked it should still be able to be secured easily. Use long heavy screws in the strike plate here and everywhere else in the house.

5) The residential biometrics suck. I have one and have regretted it. I work with my hands and get scratches etc and it wont recognize me. The wife and kids also have no end of trouble. $200 down the hole. The keypads are OK and cheaper than biometrics. There is no extra security added, just convenience.

6) I have yet to see anyone force a garage door. It's just too easy to get through the man-door. You can beef up the lock on the garage door but I would spend my money on other items like fiberglass doors and high end Quickset locks. Fiberglass doors are harder to kick than steel, but are only as secure as your lock and strike plate. Don't use the short screw supplied. Buy some 3.5" screws and stick them into the framing, not just the pine jambs. A padlock can't hurt but is easy to defeat with a bolt cutter.

Hope that helps

4)Use long heavy screws in the strike plate here and everywhere else in the house

Very important. The quality of the door means nothing if you can bust it out of the frame.

I will agree with Sawz on the same key throughout. They can all be changed if you feel compromised.

Very important. The quality of the door means nothing if you can bust it out of the frame.

I will agree with Sawz on the same key throughout. They can all be changed if you feel compromised.

I'd add to the chorus of using long screws---use four inch #10 flathead screws, with phillips #3 head drive, and buy a bit that you can put in a ratchet wrench or bit brace so you can lean on it to drive the screws (drill a pilot hole first with a smaller guage drillbit.) You need more strength for these than a regular screwdriver.

BUT, I'd also get maximum strength lock strikes, or double-up with strong ones, as this metal can simply tear with a hard enough kick. In my previous career as a carpenter and volunteer firefighter I have easily kicked in several "strong" doors. Even if the lock strike holds, the door itself can break. Be sure that the door itself is solid and kick proof, and reinforce the lock cutout areas with strong metal, not the decorative brass as it has no strength.

Myself, I'd leave the house doors alone and spend the money on exterior heavy steel barred security screen doors with double-deadbolts. Yes, they are "ugly" but they repel burglars from even bothering with you.....................elsullo ;)

When I bouth my home I replace all the locks with Sharde high end locks all keyed the same. I had one door that had a dead bold but no knob lock and replaced the knob with one that lock. I figured two lock are better than one. Best advice was to increase the length of the screw to a minimum of 3", get past the molding/trim and into the framing. I used 4" screws.

I am a professional locksmith of 17 years.

This is what you need.

The average Kwikset locks are not strong enough. Thier upper end locks are very good. The line has changed names a few times but look for Kwikset Ultramax or Society Brass. The quick change Kwikset line of locks can easily be circumvented without special tools. Only a matter of time before the general public finds out how.

You do not need locking knobs if you have a good deadbolt. Contrary to what you might see on TV or the internet, burglars don't normally pick locks. It's much more difficult than it looks. Bump keys however is a growing threat.

Medeco deadbolts are the best bar none but you will pay a premium. The newly redesigned Schlage deadbolts are also good. Stay far away from Baldwin locks, residential push button or biometric locks and anything made in Taiwan or China.

Key all the locks alike. There is no disdvantage to doing so. Install a good deadbolt. Secure the strike plate with 3" wood screws. Not deck screws. Predrill your holes first. Your local locksmith and maybe the home center will have high security strikes and door reinforcing wrap around plates. Install double cylinder deadbolts on any door with glass nearby. Make sure the house to garage door has a deadbolt too.

Visit your local locksmith for good ideas. The home center guys unfortunately don't know much about securing your home. If it's in the budget, hire your local locksmith to do the job for you. Call and get quotes first. Check their reputation because there is a nationwide locksmith scam happening.

An alarm system is a great addition. But that's exactly what it is. An addition to supplement your perimeter security. Remember your first line of defense are your doors. The alarm is a deterant. If your alarm sounds it means that someone is inside or close to it. Make it difficult for someone to get in. The more difficult it is, the longer it will take and the more noise they will make allowing you plenty of time to arm yourself and call 911.

Carefully preparing your entry way is commendable. Still, locks can only slow down a sneak thief. Having thought this through many times I see your dilemma. So far my best suggestion allows 6 locks on a solid door. When you leave home, lock three and leave three unlocked. When a thief tries to pick your locks, three will be unlocked and three now locked. Good luck.

Carefully preparing your entry way is commendable. Still, locks can only slow down a sneak thief. Having thought this through many times I see your dilemma. So far my best suggestion allows 6 locks on a solid door. When you leave home, lock three and leave three unlocked. When a thief tries to pick your locks, three will be unlocked and three now locked. Good luck.

No disrespect, but this is an old wives tale. Six locks on a door is useless and looks stupid and unsightly. Thieves don't go around picking locks. As I said above lock picking is harder than it looks. The time and money expended on buying and installing six deadbolts or locks would be better spend on one high quality deadbolt such as Medeco.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top