Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

chamber indicator on Glocks

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by waldoz, Jan 27, 2010.

1. waldoz

waldoz Battle Ground Member

2. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

-----------------------------
    Nope they have it. You just need to know what your looking for. it's not a tab that changes to an obvious red or orange or anything like that. it's merely a protrusion incorporated into the external extractor that is flush to the side of the slide when empty and protrudes when loaded.

3. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I believe it's a requirement in some state to have that, so they all do. At least every 3rd gen I've seen has it.

4. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I use mine pretty regularly. The extractor is flush when unloaded and slightly protrudes when loaded.

5. waldoz

So its not on the 1st,2nd and only on the 3rd gen +. I just did not know if it was only a state to state like said. If you guys have any more info or pics that would be great. Looking to make my first hg purchase. :D

6. matt_w

That huge background pic on the first page of your link is how it looks an a pistol without one in the chamber. If a round is in the chamber, the little notch sticks out by about 2mm. It's not much of a difference.

7. waldoz

So what I am getting these are on the 2008 and up?

8. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

It is easier to feel when you run your finger across it than see...

9. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I just checked my gen 2, G23. It protrudes about 1mm out when there is a loaded round. Very hard to notice, either by touch or sight and should not be seen as a useful indicator of any sort.

10. matt_w

You don't really notice it and it doesn't affect the operation or handling of the gun really.

IMO if you are using it as a means to know if the gun is loaded, you should re-take a gun safety course. The only real way is to pull back the slide and use your eyeballs to check!.

11. Retro Adam

Retro Adam N PDX New Member

+1 and assume that every gun is always loaded even after checking! :thumbup:

12. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

I use the LCI every day and have had the extractors (and detents) in all my older Glocks changed out for the newer LCI units. That being said, I'd NEVER rely on the LCI to ensure a firearm is UNLOADED.