JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, they've been around for as long as I can recall: those steel inserts that you can drop into a shotgun and they allow one to fire a smaller shotgun cartridge or a rifle/pistol cartridge. What has your experience been with them? Handy tool or waste of time? How did they work out in practical use or how did they fail spectacularly? Thanks!

Mostly a waste.

I bought a .410 adapter for my 12ga. The patterns are absolute garbage and completely random, regardless of choke.

I wouldn't mind getting a .22 one to try, but I don't see that it really has any practical application over just carrying my .22 pistol.

A smaller shot wad in a larger barrel allows the powder gasses to bypass the wad and blow through the shot, spoiling the pattern. Might be OK for survival use on a rabbit at close range.

Bruce

The only kind of inserts I would be inclined to try are the ones that change the chambering to a smaller cased round that uses an appropriate diameter bullet for the barrel. I think if you're going to carry a long tube you might as well use it for something besides a handle!

My, admittedly, very limited experience with them has lead me to the "waste of time" conclusion. But was curious about other's experience. :)
Take a look at these:

https://chaszel.com/

These have a very good reputation and sell out very quickly. I'm working on a couple of survival gun projects, one based on a .410 single shot shotgun, the other in 20 Gauge. Money is tight this time of year, but am going to take the plunge on a couple in the upcoming months dependent on availability.

JP9

Take a look at these:

https://chaszel.com/

These have a very good reputation and sell out very quickly. I'm working on a couple of survival gun projects, one based on a .410 single shot shotgun, the other in 20 Gauge. Money is tight this time of year, but am going to take the plunge on a couple in the upcoming months dependent on availability.

JP9
That's who make the .410 adapter I have.

I'll let you know when I get to try out the two I'm trading for. Honestly I'm not expecting more than hand gun accuracy. A single bead sight isn't a rifle sight. More of a novelty I think.

No experience with them, don't have any shotguns which would work with them.

Thinking on such though, would having inserts if we did have applicable shotguns make anything easier or better? I'm thinking no. For us.

Maybe for folks who actually run trap lines, or plan on doing so...and not carrying a reliable handgun.

Could just carry a reliable handgun tho....

I made a few for a friend. I used 6" pieces of barrel and set them in a brass insert that mocked up a 12 ga shell. they let him fire pistol ammo from his SxS shotgun. they had a repeatable accuracy as long as you marked the ejector and put then the same way each time.
I could have made them 3" or 3 1/2" long and still had some rifling, and had them feed through the mag of a pump gun. DR

I have the 9mm 18 inch insert from chaszel. Was plinking out to about 75 yards with mine using my hand loads. I was impressed with the accuracy considering what it is. I don't know that there is any practical application for it but it is fun as just a range toy. I don't have any experience with smaller shotgun adapters. I am shooting mine out of a 24 in barrel single shot.

So, they've been around for as long as I can recall: those steel inserts that you can drop into a shotgun and they allow one to fire a smaller shotgun cartridge or a rifle/pistol cartridge. What has your experience been with them? Handy tool or waste of time? How did they work out in practical use or how did they fail spectacularly? Thanks!
Rifled .22 are about $30 on eBay (unless they have went up since I bought mine) and they work great. Every caliber under the sun available from gunadapters.com. They make rifled ones out to about 11" or 13" long as I recall (expensive of course for that long). They also sell packs with multiple calibers.

I have not shot but did research on the unrifled ones and they aren't worth getting based on reports. Too inaccurate. Basically what I concluded from my research was get rifled only, longer inserts are more accurate. For my use they are just a toy so that's why I went with inexpensive ones (but rifled).

Does anyone make an adapter from 410 to 9mm or 22lr? My some has a 410 he loves to shoot but dang, 410 is pretty much gone or so overpriced that he doesn't get to shoot it much.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews