JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off, I want to thank everyone on this forum for their support of Cerberus Training Group. Have had the chance to meet a lot of great people, get to know some of their life stories and watch them train hard.

As those who have attended my classes know, I'm extremely student driven...its not about the paycheck, its about developing you the shooter and the individual.

Will be adding platform classes for the AR, AK, and 1911. Armorer classes for S&W, Glock, Springfield, Sig and others. I have a 2 day 1911 armorer / run the platform class scheduled in September. Developing a tactical scoped rifle class, which is just short of sniper type training.
Still developing the 3 day S.A.T. (Skill-Action-Technique) class. This class takes off from Run-the-Gun, and adds moving, various positional shooting platforms, single and small group movement.

Am looking to add classes and content that people are looking for. So throw out content you'd be interested in, as I've have a lot of content that I've not put out yet.

If you have shoothouse or similar indoor facilities available, a Night/Low-Light offering might be a good idea some day--because of how overadapted the human brain is to rely on visual data to the near-exclusion of all else, when you take that strength away in a Bump In The Night situation the required skills and techniques make it a different ball o' wax from Broad Daylight.

As someone who has some quirks that give a bit of an edge, if you'd like I'll see if I can dig up some old notes from back in college when the Pre-Med and Psych profs were working with me on understanding the potential complications of autistic neurobiology and my own case in particular, and how best to weaponize it for my Executive Protection role. (Where the Lord gave with one hand giving me sufficient light sensitivity that my eyes are like natural starlight scopes and I see very well in low-light conditions, He took away with the other in that the cost is I have to wear polarized lenses at almost all times or endure horrible sensory-overload migraines.)

I welcome shooters with unique challenges, it not only makes me a better instructor but a better person as well. I enjoy working with people from all ages, the oldest I've worked with was 82...the youngest was 9. People with disabilities such as amputees, wheelchair bound, and other challenges are something I've always welcomed. Helping the person figure out and solve shooter based problems so they can be as efficient, safe and comfortable as possible with their chosen firearm and equipment.

A Shoot house is on the agenda. Since having one that will contain live fire is extremely spendy, will be building one to accommodate simunitions. That's a couple years down the road, unless the biz keeps going as it has been...then sooner.

The response and support has far exceeded my expectations for the first year out of the gate. I'm pretty much a one man band here, so prioritizing classes, facility upgrade and maintenance is paramount.

A low light class is also being worked on as we speak...will always make notifications of classes as they are ready to be presented.

Low light is on the way...as well as a precision rifle class. Not on par with sniper training, but more than just basic hunting rifle. You'll learn the same basic fundamentals of sniper type shooting, body platform, grip, breath control, trigger use etc.

Shotgun coming next year. A combo live fire/combat medic class is being worked on as we speak, I want to make sure its thorough.

Good ideas, keep 'em coming.

Come to think of it, you being ex-cops and all, how about an impact weapon class? Nightstick (solid and collapsible), PR-24 (tonfa), Kubaton.

Perhaps a "legal 101", answer those pesky questions, can I carry in a bar?WTF do I do now that I've made this dead guy? etc. geared toward the CCW holder POV.

State approved CCW class.

I want to re-mention force-on-force again and again.

Make your advanced/sensitive classes have prerequisite classes.

Best wishes

I've never been an impact instructor, so will have to come up with a less lethal person to do that. Noted

I did teach a "Deadly Force Review" and "Officer Involved Shooting" for LE folks, and have been toying with a civilian version of both, while having an attorney on board to answer such questions. I will start teaching the Utah CCW stuff later this fall as well...this is very doable, as I did a short presentation during the NW AK Meet and Greet a couple months ago. Noted

Am finding a lot of folks want to run around with their caboose on fire, sliding under cars etc., but don't have the knowledge to run their chosen firearm efficiently enough to keep going without a hesitation when a stoppage occurs. This why I strongly recommend my Run the Gun classes first.

Some classes offered at other schools are cramming in a lot of drills and info into an 8 hr class, which doesn't allow a lot of time to start training the brain and give the student opportunities to run drills etc enough to get things going in building the foundation.
I go 8-10 hrs a day depending on the endurance of the student. I've had to pull some students aside over the years, and offer them to come back for a lower level class to make sure they don't skip steps in the all important skill building steps.

I want to provide no compromise quality training to make sure students progress efficiently, instead of getting frustrated because of their lack of confidence.

Couple more ideas...

1. When legal matters are involved, consider talking to Marty Hayes at FAS. Between his being both lawyer and firearms instructor, and running ACLDN, he might be a worthwhile connection especially if you can get accredited by ACLDN, USCCA and/or NRA Carry Guard for "continuing education."

2. Re armorers courses, you might also try to reach out to the various manufacturers and see if you can establish relationships and have your courses accredited by them so your grads can be Certified Armorers. For AR's, you might look at Iraqgunz at Semper Paratus Arms as a possible partner--he can be rather abrasive at times and very much a brand snob, but really knows his technicals. Think "Gordon Ramsey of AR's."

For AR's, you might look at Iraqgunz at Semper Paratus Arms as a possible partner--he can be rather abrasive at times and very much a brand snob, but really knows his technicals. Think "Gordon Ramsey of AR's."

I was thinking the same thing about Will specifically and in general hosting others on the line of LAV or Ken Hackathorn.

BTW IG is a "brand snob" for a reason, it's called extensive experience.

BTW IG is "brand snob" for a reason, it's called extensive experience.
Not disputing that, just saying his class is not for anyone who isn't bringing a top-of-the-line model to the party. Knows his stuff and if I absolutely had to bet my life on another man's AR-smithing he's the first one I'd call, but he can be a bit intense for those just starting out with "Baby's First AR." :) Better fit for once the Noob has had a chance to grow some skin.

That said, someday one of the things on my AR Bucket List is to machine an EPL of such quality that it gets the IG Seal of Approval, or at least rates a "not bad for the tools you had available to work with."

Not disputing that, just saying his class is not for anyone who isn't bringing a top-of-the-line model to the party. Knows his stuff and if I absolutely had to bet my life on another man's AR-smithing he's the first one I'd call, but he can be a bit intense for those just starting out with "Baby's First AR." :)

So you have attended his armorer's course?

Because I'm wondering how you got that out of it.

I'd love to attend a precision rifle session, mainly for some general trigger time and then some unknown distance work. I have a lot of rounds down range out to 1,000 yards but it's all been at known ranges and mainly bullseye targets. Multiple target scenarios would be a great training experience also.

Perhaps a basic and advanced class; focus on fundamentals first and then mix in some field craft. It's been a long time since I've practiced, taught and coached any of those skills; a refresher would be welcome.

Not yet, but that's what it's sounded like via admittedly secondhand impression. I don't feel comfortable bringing the AR I built on one of the NWFA (Anderson) lowers to the party, and I damn sure wouldn't bring one of my current homemade-EPL builds.

Admittedly, a lot of this is based on my impressions of him from around M4C--and let me stress again, lest you get the false impression that I'm dissing him, that I respect the heck out of the guy, his course is on my To Do List, and if somehow I were offered the chance to apprentice under him I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'm not knocking SME's not being "people-people," I'm not one either and can be rather abrasive in my professional role myself.

Last Edited:
CQB Carbine, tactical Carbine, and carbine to sidearm transition would be awesome! Maybe combine them together in a two day to maximise skill retention! :)
I would also be down for some long range rifle work, especially iron sight, unknown distance out to 800 meters, and longer for scoped, think D.M.R. Type work!

Not yet, but that's what it's sounded like via admittedly secondhand impression. I don't feel comfortable bringing the AR I built on one of the NWFA (Anderson) lowers to the party, and I damn sure wouldn't bring one of my current homemade-EPL builds.

Admittedly, a lot of this is based on my impressions of him from around M4C--and let me stress again, lest you get the false impression that I'm dissing him, that I respect the heck out of the guy, his course is on my To Do List, and if somehow I were offered the chance to apprentice under him I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'm not knocking SME's not being "people-people," I'm not one either and can be rather abrasive in my professional role myself.

It was a rhetorical question because if you had you know that you indeed should have brought your "built on one of the NWFA (Anderson) lowers to the party."

Couple more ideas...

1. When legal matters are involved, consider talking to Marty Hayes at FAS. Between his being both lawyer and firearms instructor, and running ACLDN, he might be a worthwhile connection especially if you can get accredited by ACLDN, USCCA and/or NRA Carry Guard for "continuing education."

2. Re armorers courses, you might also try to reach out to the various manufacturers and see if you can establish relationships and have your courses accredited by them so your grads can be Certified Armorers. For AR's, you might look at Iraqgunz at Semper Paratus Arms as a possible partner--he can be rather abrasive at times and very much a brand snob, but really knows his technicals. Think "Gordon Ramsey of AR's."

1. Marty and I started our LE careers back in the mid 80's in the small town of Morton Washington. He and I got along so well because we both would not accept the old useless saying..."That's the way we've always done it", and were always wondering if what we were doing was good enough, fact and reality based, why we do what we do etc. Of course us being the new kids on the block, didn't go over well with the old timers. At times felt we were being held back on purpose...that was and still is not good enough for me, thus my personnel file seemed to be a bit thicker than others. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I understand and appreciate the thought about Marty and FAS etc., but am looking to have something a bit different to offer. Something more from not only a LE point of view toward civilian carry and legalities, but have an attorney on board who's actually defended civilians in court who have been involved in shootings in both Washington and Oregon.
I prefer to have people on board with me who've been there, done that...had it done to them. All my instructors have exchanged bullets either in the military or on the street, thus everyone who is and in the future will be associated with Cerberus Training Group will have the same requirement. Am not saying that those who haven't don't have something good to instruct, but I find instructors who have, have a different view of instruction, useful drills, manipulations etc. Just seeing too much garbage being taught on the range that does not relate to the street...and its hard for some to know that, unless they've been there.

2. To get certified to teach under the firearm maker armorer class, one has to be trained back at their facility and they want to control all aspects of it...which means you only get what the factory wants you to know.
I Have talked to Dennis Tueller, yes the one who did the research back in the 80's on how close an attacker with an edged weapon can be, and the shooter being able to get an accurate shot off...and no, its not ever been called the 21 foot rule...except by those in the gun rags and on the net...anyway...Tueller does some of the armorer classes for Glock, he was telling me its tough to get certified to be able to instruct for Glock and other companies, as there's so many wanting to do it and they only want so many teaching for them.

I was blessed in my LE career to be sent all over for factory armorer schools and gunsmith training at Lassen Community College Gunsmith programs for every firearm used for LE use...yes, even various HK full auto specimens. Being a independent so to speak, gives me the latitude to go above and beyond what is allowed by the factory, while still being able to teach the factory content. For example, teaching folks how to do upgrade to their pistols and rifles...such as installing an Apex trigger, barrels and check for proper timing etc. You won't get that in a factory armorer course.

As for AR's, have been trained by Ken Elmore of SAW (Specialized Armorer Warehouse), he was a factory trained Colt and military armorer and 'smith for years...and have been building AR's semi, shot burst, and full auto for LE use for about 20 years.

But, am always looking for new ways of doing things. I am heavily into training of all aspects of firearms...manipulation, live fire and 'smithing. I only know how to teach one way, and that's all out with nothing watered down or left on the table when the class is done. I'm always looking for good help...

Last Edited:
I'd love to attend a precision rifle session, mainly for some general trigger time and then some unknown distance work. I have a lot of rounds down range out to 1,000 yards but it's all been at known ranges and mainly bullseye targets. Multiple target scenarios would be a great training experience also.

Perhaps a basic and advanced class; focus on fundamentals first and then mix in some field craft. It's been a long time since I've practiced, taught and coached any of those skills; a refresher would be welcome.

A precision scoped rifle class is in the works and almost complete. It bridges the gap from normal scoped carbine use to sniper.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top