JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am the former NGA gunsmith. We used Cerakote products exclusively during our production days. The only thing we used Micro Slick for was on the interior surfaces where an exterior coating was too thick for the tolerances. It only comes in one color (gray). It worked great on the AR-15 bolts, upper receivers, and all the small parts. I have done 1911 pistol interiors, Ruger 22/45 upper interiors, and the inside of my Ruger LCP. They all worked much better after it was applied but the coating itself does not hold up to wear as well as the exterior coating does. I never did the outside of a gun in it for that reason. Hope that helps. By the way, it is nasty to work with. You will want a respirator with high quality filters.

Thanks Taurus, you explained allot & yes I was thinking of the insides of the upper receiver & BCG since they are mostly affected by the gases that fowl up that area and are a pain to clean effectively.
I would leave this work to the pro's who are setup to do the job, I weld wood and do not want to mess up my nice clean shop or lungs....

Some guys do it outside and wear a half mask respirator. Micro Slick has the ability to cure by ambient temperature in 7 days. The only challenge is the degrease and sandblast process. Learning how to evenly apply from a spray gun is another skill in and of itself. If you are going to just do the inside of your upper, I suggest taping off the entire outside of the receiver before sandblast so you don't blast off your outside finish. I use high heat oven tape from Shercon products. It's very sticky and works well during sandblast. I would reapply a new layer of tape after sandblast, before paint. The tape runs about $12 per roll for a 1" wide variety.

Blue Polyester Tape. PC90 Series.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR