JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kinda like giving someone a drivers license and a weed card.
Up to the card holder to do the right thing while impared.
Do I want someone impared driving?

Not trying to judge , just food for thought.

We are not supposed to use hand loads for self defense. Imagine being prosecuted because you had weed or alcohol in your system when you tried to protect yourself or family. These type of situations give the "Antis" more cause to keep pushing their poison and make an example out of you

One of my close friends has his CCW and med card he has never had a issue buying firearms.
That's because the PNW is the best part of the US... lol

Weed is legal in the District of Columbia... which is kind of Federal, and it is legal in Washington and Oregon. I think the BGC form asks about illegal drug use, so you can honestly answer that question as you do not use illegal drugs and still be a pot smoker.
I honestly do not know why weed is not made legal federally and put off for a few years while states make up their own laws regarding the issue, lame politics IMO.

That's because the PNW is the best part of the US... lol

Weed is legal in the District of Columbia... which is kind of Federal, and it is legal in Washington and Oregon. I think the BGC form asks about illegal drug use, so you can honestly answer that question as you do not use illegal drugs and still be a pot smoker.
I honestly do not know why weed is not made legal federally and put off for a few years while states make up their own laws regarding the issue, lame politics IMO.

They have already changed the form to say, "even if your state has made pot legal". Now the tricky part is the defition of "being an illegal user." So if I smoked weed in highschool and am 35 now...am I still an illegal user? What about a month ago, 6 months ago, or a week ago? When is the cut off? If you hit the cut off and then buy a gun you then didnt lie on the form, right. Also you have to remeber it is all about when they can prove.

Hmmm, has this changed in Oregon ??............:s0153:
Medical marijuana cardholders can't be denied concealed gun license solely because they use pot, Oregon Supreme Court rules
The Oregon Supreme Court ruled this morning that Oregon sheriffs have no grounds to deny concealed handgun licenses to the state's 39,774 medical marijuana cardholders -- solely because they use pot.
Medical marijuana cardholders can't be denied concealed gun license solely because they use pot, Oregon Supreme Court rules

Oregon Court Rules Medical Pot Users Can Have Guns

<broken link removed>

by Jeff Barnard

GRANTS PASS, Ore. — The Oregon Supreme Court unanimously ruled Thursday that a retired school bus driver can have her medical marijuana and a concealed handgun, too.
The ruling upheld previous decisions by the Oregon Court of Appeals and circuit court that determined a federal law barring criminals and drug addicts from buying firearms does not excuse sheriffs from issuing concealed weapons permits to people who hold medical marijuana cards and otherwise qualify.
"We hold that the Federal Gun Control Act does not pre-empt the state's concealed handgun licensing statute and, therefore, the sheriffs must issue (or renew) the requested licenses," Chief Justice Paul De Muniz wrote in the ruling issued in Salem.
Oregon Court Rules Medical Pot Users Can Have Guns -- Green215

Hmmmmm.

See post #86 - 9th Circuit Court ruling. That would apply to Oregon. That was a Federal Case (Lynch is US Attorney)

The case in #89 is Oregon state.

Wonder who has the deep pockets to pursue this.

They have already changed the form to say, "even if your state has made pot legal". Now the tricky part is the defition of "being an illegal user." So if I smoked weed in highschool and am 35 now...am I still an illegal user? What about a month ago, 6 months ago, or a week ago? When is the cut off? If you hit the cut off and then buy a gun you then didnt lie on the form, right. Also you have to remeber it is all about when they can prove.
Apparently the state supreme court ruled that it doesn't matter for MMC holders, so I'm guessing that it would also apply in general in accordance with state law.
The only issue will be is if federal agencies decide to involve themselves...

Oregon supreme court makes a ruling concerning authority of sheriffs in the state. What needs to be pursued?

Those who are interested in the War on Drugs, will be interested. And, as we know, Federal law trumps state law.

Would Washington County (Sheriff Garrett is the successor to Sheriff Gordon who had denied a permit) want to either 1 declare as a sanctuary and not enforce Federal regulations (I doubt that) or 2 double down and appeal.

After all if this Federal Felony (admission of abuse of a class 1 drug - no useful purpose) would other Federal Felonies also be ignored ( assume admission, but not conviction)

There will also be those who look at the Oregon ruling and want to use that. Those folks also in the 9 Circuit jurisdiction. Say Clark County WA (or even Clark County NV)

Now how about the anti-gun folks. They may want to push forward on the 9ths interpretation. If you have pot - no guns for you. Admission of recreational use - or medical.

There may be further lawsuits, is all I am saying, while wondering who has the money to go forward.

Realistically would anyone want someone that's high on pot to have in his possession a loaded firearm. I would think that any sane person would not.
Yet people are fine with drunks, meth heads, and opium users possessing loaded firearms.

In Oregon, people are even allowed to have an adult beverage with a meal, in a public restaurant, while in possession of a loaded firearm.:eek: Thankfully, it's not allowed in Washington. :rolleyes:

Realistically would anyone want someone that's high on pot to have in his possession a loaded firearm. I would think that any sane person would not.
Have you had any experience with somebody who is high only on marijuana?
The worst most would do is get snack grease on your grip and check excessively to see if the gun is loaded... because they can't remember.
If I had my choice between somebody who had a few beers holding a gun or somebody who was stoned holding a gun, I would choose the stoned person every time.
The only exception would be for borderline personality and schizophrenics, whom I wouldn't even want to have a gun sober.

Marijuana is the least of my worries when it comes to the consumption of intoxicating substances. The people you are worried about, are likely the people who shouldn't have guns regardless of what they consume.

I don't think anyone is actually advocating for giving a loaded gun to an impaired person. The point is that anyone that wants to act irresponsibly can do so at any time.

Idiots are idiots regardless of when an opportunity presents itself.

Reminds me of something I once heard in the military concerning group discipline: "Oh great. One moron craps his pants and now we all have to wear diapers!"

I don't think anyone is actually advocating for giving a loaded gun to an impaired person. The point is that anyone that wants to act irresponsibly can do so at any time.

Idiots are idiots regardless of when an opportunity presents itself.

Reminds me of something I once heard in the military concerning group discipline: "Oh great. One moron craps his pants and now we all have to wear diapers!"
Pretty much!

Yet people are fine with drunks, meth heads, and opium users possessing loaded firearms.

I guess I'm not one of those people either. I don't smoke, drink or do any kind of drugs whatsoever. I think anyone found in possession of a loaded firearm while intoxicated with ANY kind of self consumed substance should lose their concealed carry permit immediately and go to an approve rehab treatment facility and successfully complete it before being allowed to carry concealed again.

Alcohol is a drug that has proven to make people violent and its intoxicating effects have resulted in more unnecessary firearm related deaths than almost any other substance on this Earth. How many potheads do you know got all crazy and mean and shot somebody dead after smoking too much weed? Marijuana also does not affect coordination to the degree that alcohol does. I am very staunch 2nd Amendment supporter, but even I think anyone who has more than .05 and has a loaded weapon on them is seriously putting the lives of innocent people at risk. Sorry, but I grew up in Oregon and around big-time pot smokers who owned a lot of guns. I never felt threatened around them. However, I cannot say the same around some drunk people I know, some who liked playing with guns after being belligerent drunk.

My theory is that anyone who thinks someone who smokes weed should not have 2nd Amendment rights better also think the same about someone who consumes alcohol.

Alcohol is poison and I know personally how alcohol can destroy not only your body, but your soul. As well, even if you don't have a gun in your possession, being intoxicated can make you very angry and even prone to violence. It's not like a drunk person doesn't know how to get back to their house, get their gun and still wreck havoc. You don't even need to have a firearm in your possession to be dangerous while you're intoxicated on alcohol. Being heavily intoxicated on alcohol can make you prone to very dangerous decision making, much more than being high on weed. I am speaking from experience of watching others who indulged in both substances. How many stoned people do you see getting into fist fights on a Friday night? How many drunk people do you see getting in fist fights on a Friday night? Umm.. Yeah, let's not lie to ourselves here.

I think the government wants weed to be illegal, because it is a major source of revenue. As well, weed makes people paranoid and question authority. In addition, it has several medical uses, no known lethal dosage and can seriously result in hampering the profits of the multi-billion (or is it trillion?) dollar opoid industry of the Big Pharma drug cartels. Do you realize that many of our politicians are in bed with the lobbyists and even many politicians themselves have stakes in many of these drug companies? They have proven that marijuana use reduces the desire for opoids and has caused a major loss in profits for the drug industry in states where it has been legalized. Do you really think America's most powerful drug cartel, Big Pharma industry, would want a substance that some hippie can grow in his closet and would be as effective as many of these overpriced, toxic, highly addictive pain-killers that the drug companies sell? HELL NO!!! As well, marijuana has been found to be effective for PTSD and many veterans have found a lot of relief using it over the legal prescribed anti-depressants which have all types of bad side effects. Of course, they are making that a Schedule I substance. You should know it's bad for your health to get between Big Brother and his cash flow.

Bottom line, according to Big Brother, if you want to own guns, stick with alcohol or less dangerous drugs like meth or cocaine. Avoid that green stuff.

I will have to say once again, anybody who thinks a marijuana smoker should lose his 2nd Amendment rights, but doesn't think the same of an alcohol drinker is indoctrinated in deep government programmed brainwashing. There is no substance on this earth with a worst track record for promoting violence and misuse of firearms than alcohol.

I bet if we legalized weed and criminalized alcohol that we would see a reduction in homicides, especially negligent or accident homicides and manslaughter cases.

My 2 cents.. I know some will hate me for saying it, but I am just speaking what I believe.

On a political level, I am not a Republican or Democrat, but a Libertarian. I'm for legalizing most drugs and at least decriminalizing and regulating some of the more dangerous ones (heroin, meth, etc). Heroin is illegal, but it's cheaper than weed and almost as available. So much for the drug war? But, it does make politicians rich and politicians, prisons and other governing entities make lots of cash on all the crime revenue it brings.

P.S.
Oh yeah, another fun fact check.. A good number of the mass shootings in our country have occurred from people who were taking legal doctor prescribed anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medications. You want to talk about dangerous drugs, take a look at these.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads