JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Used them back in the day. It was always a challenge to see if they did any sort of damage at all, to anything. Thin paper targets very close were the only thing I could verify they did "damage" to. Haven't touched them since. Have tried various pest destroying 22 rounds including factory segmented hollow points and hollow points that are sliced to become segmented rounds. The only thing I use now are 45 grain subsonic in almost all cases. If no need to be quiet then tons of other rounds work. Just my experience fwiw. I believe the 22lr shotshells are completely worthless.

The most effective 22lr shotgun round ;)

Last Edited:
I ordered 200 rounds of CCI 22 LR shot shells. They had a special going on. Anyway, the order never showed up.
The company said UPS lost the packsge.
They refunded my money.
Then todsy,
The order showed up. UPS just left it on the porch!

I ordered 200 rounds of CCI 22 LR shot shells. They had a special going on. Anyway, the order never showed up.
The company said UPS lost the packsge.
They refunded my money.
Then todsy,
The order showed up. UPS just left it on the porch!
download.jpeg-91.jpg

I vote with the worthless crowd. BUT I think they use #12 shot which is like dust and looses energy quick. Thats pretty nice when you are in the rocks.

I was dove hunting a few years ago and had a huge snake on the edge of camp. Fear of the 7 1/2 shot coming back to visit me I cut the shell, emptied the shot and hit it with the plastic wad.

Perfect answer, 45 Colt/410 Pistol. The Company even makes a choke that give's a two foot spread at ten feet for shooting snakes from a horse.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" title="22plinkster Helps Tighten Rimfire Shotshell Patterns" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They are almost worthless for snakes. Out of a rifled barrel, they won't break a clay pigeon at 5 yards and are liable to ricochet back at you if rocks or other hard surfaces are shot at. Snakes will be pissed off if you shoot them from any further than 12in away, and you better hit them in the head. If you're worried about snakes, carry a walking stick. One good smack from a branch or stick will neutralize the threat quickly.
Or just walk in a different direction. Lol, snakes in the US, especially rattle snakes, very rarely if ever actually go on the offensive with large biped apes.

No need to kill them. Just avoid them.

Now a black mamba in Africa or a Taipan in Australia is a different story. Those suckers will come at you and stand face to face.

Or just walk in a different direction. Lol, snakes in the US, especially rattle snakes, very rarely if ever actually go on the offensive with large biped apes.

Now a black mamba in Africa or a Taipan in Australia is a different story. Those suckers will come at you and stand face to face.
He wants the hide tho.

No need? Sure, I'll just tell my kids, dogs, cats, livestock and everyone else who visits my property to avoid the rattlesnakes. That will work, I'm sure.

Or, realize that everyone has different needs, and lives in different situations. Not everyone needs to eradicate snakes from their property. I do. I've killed many over the years and I'll continue to kill every single rattlesnake I come across.

Thanks for the advice though, you clearly are an expert on snake encounters, and have an intimate understanding of all life situations.....

You're like those yuppie Portlanders telling ranchers they need to live in unison with wolves, with zero understanding of their dynamics.

No need? Sure, I'll just tell my kids, dogs, cats, livestock and everyone else who visits my property to avoid the rattlesnakes. That will work, I'm sure.

Or, realize that everyone has different needs, and lives in different situations. Not everyone needs to eradicate snakes from their property. I do. I've killed many over the years and I'll continue to kill every single rattlesnake I come across.

Thanks for the advice though, you clearly are an expert on snake encounters, and have an intimate understanding of all life situations.....

You're like those yuppie Portlanders telling ranchers they need to live in unison with wolves, with zero understanding of their dynamics.
Or maybe I grew up in Arkansas and around poisonous snakes? Cottonmouths were quite abundant in the creeks, rice fields and marsh lands i romped around in for years. A stick was all my 8-10 year old self needed.

Gtfoh with that Portland crap.

How many people you know been bit by rattlesnakes? I'm guessing none...

Or maybe I grew up in Arkansas and around poisonous snakes? Cottonmouths were quite abundant in the creeks, rice fields and marsh lands i romped around in for years. A stick was all my 8-10 year old self needed.

Gtfoh with that Portland crap.

How many people you know been bit by rattlesnakes? I'm guessing none...
I own a vet clinic, see animals with bites often enough.

I've had my fair share of rattler encounters, mostly when quail hunting in AZ. My friends dog got bit twice.

We wore bite proof boots because you could step on one of those camo'd bastards before you even knew it was there.

No snakes, but when I was in engineering school, I had friends with a couple hundred acres of filberts, and ground squirrels were the target. 22 shotshells were just about useless. Started loading CCI plastic capsules for the .44 Mag and .357 Mag. Very light loads, or the pattern went to heck very quickly. Even those weren't much good past 15' or so. No choice in these orchards due to the proximity of homes. IIRC a light load of unique or bullseye did the trick.

I've had my fair share of rattler encounters, mostly when quail hunting in AZ. My friends dog got bit twice.

We wore bite proof boots because you could step on one of those camo'd bastards before you even knew it was there.
When I was living in the SW and used to upland hunt most had stopped using their noise as a warning. Natural selection at work. Too many who used the rattle to warn did not live to make more snakes. All the ones I shot while hunting did not make a sound until after shot. Came VERY damn close to stepping on one several times when looking for birds. Until they moved they were REALLY hard to spot. The one I was looking up into a large thicket and just as I was going to move saw a huge one slowly going past my boot. Could not see head or tail. So it had slithered right past me as I was standing there. :eek:
Later in life I saw the bite proof legging's and thought should have bought some of those damn things.

I was dove hunting a few years ago and had a huge snake on the edge of camp. Fear of the 7 1/2 shot coming back to visit me I cut the shell, emptied the shot and hit it with the plastic wawad
Similar story, except I opted for the full Monty...

Was dove hunting around the age of 20 along the banks of the John Day, sitting under a dead tree waiting for the doves to come off the river. After a while, I got up to stretch, when I looked back to sit down, there was a huge coiled rattler next to the rock I was sitting on!

Never seen one this big and this color, pale green like sage brush. So I go get my friend's dad to show him. He says "shoot em", so I did.

Tastes like chicken. I had kept the tail for many years.

.22 lr bird shot from a Bearcat works on rattlers. Every time. No, you can't be a 'fraidy cat and not walk right up to 'em and shoot 'em in the face. VERY effective at a range that is slightly greater than his.

22 WMR bird shot at similar range will kill a rat deader than any doornail you've ever seen.

The stuff works at the range it was intended for.

Best use for .22 birdshot? Wing shooting dragonflies.