JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone here used 22LR shotshells?
If so, what did you use them for?
Will they work in semi-automatic firearms?
Like a 10-22 or a ruger semi-auto pistol?
I was thinking of using v them in a Ruger Bearcat to fend off rattle snakes.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

1. Yes
2. Murdering filthy rats
3 & 4. Probably not, Would not cycle my Ruger 22/45 or Walther PPK reliably.

It's a 5 to 10 foot round. The pattern opens up ridiculously quickly. Shooting through a rifled barrel makes it even worse.

They are almost worthless for snakes. Out of a rifled barrel, they won't break a clay pigeon at 5 yards and are liable to ricochet back at you if rocks or other hard surfaces are shot at. Snakes will be pissed off if you shoot them from any further than 12in away, and you better hit them in the head. If you're worried about snakes, carry a walking stick. One good smack from a branch or stick will neutralize the threat quickly.

Better off with a cap gun than 22 bird shot even worse in a rifled gun. If you are looking for a close up snake stopper try a 410, rifle or pistol. more practice and use the already miniscule lead of the 22, Even with that I've had some shorts bounce right off the hard feathers of crows I'd stick with LR for trail use, more fun, just about the best thing going for squirrels, rabbits, camp meat, pest riddance, fire starting plinking. with the 22 bird shot you have flies, leaves spiders maybe the carnivorous grasshopper if in hand to hand fight.

1. Yes
2. Murdering filthy rats
3 & 4. Probably not, Would not cycle my Ruger 22/45 or Walther PPK reliably.

It's a 5 to 10 foot round. The pattern opens up ridiculously quickly. Shooting through a rifled barrel makes it even worse.
and the longer the rifled barrel the more the shot pattern fails to open up properly.

Yes, usually just yellow jackets at muzzle distances. I wouldn't want to be muzzle distance to a rattler, that's what regular 22lr ammo is for at a greater distance.

I practice shooting at dime size targets at close distances with ordinary carry ammo. That is, a snake brain. This is where using holdover is especially useful.

With for example a 6" .357 mag revolver sighted in for 50 yards with my standard 158gr ammo, if I needed to shoot a rattle snake in the brain at 12' I would hold 1/4 the front sight above of the line of the top of the back sight and put top of front sight on desired point of aim. 1/4 for 6'. A smidge holdover for 25'. At 50' an ordinary sight pic is close enough.

I've never used shot shells because their distance is so limited, and because loading the first round or two with snake loads is to disarm myself against everything else. And if your first round in a semi auto is a shot shell it doesn't cycle the slide, so lots of luck if you are attacked by a human or bear or cougar, not a snake. I've run across many poisonous snakes. My big defense has been to watch the path ahead of me and go around them. None of the rattlers even bothered to rattle, let alone attack me. They saw/felt from ground vibrations I had seen them, stopped, and was going around like a polite respectful critter. And wasn't going to step on or bother them like something stupid, oblivious, or rude. I've been attacked by bad humans four times. Never by a snake.

There are reasons to kill a poisonous snake. If it's in your yard where your kids play. If its in your pasture and might bite your livestock. If it is in your campsite at night and might be attracted to the warmth of your body after dark. If your evening stew was looking boring and the snake was big enough to matter. But so far I've never found any need to harm a snake, poisonous or otherwise

I use a lot of the shot shells. they are effective on a snake to about 5'. I shoot them from a long-barreled rifle, letting me be another 3' back.
The main reason I use them is they are not as destructive to a building when fired indoors. Rats and snakes in a feed room, tack shed, barn or garage need to be delt with! Without putting holes in walls , floors, and ceilings. DR

Why are you killing rattle snakes in Lincoln City
Cuz…..

IMG_3171.jpeg

Has anyone here used 22LR shotshells?
If so, what did you use them for?
Will they work in semi-automatic firearms?
Like a 10-22 or a ruger semi-auto pistol?
I was thinking of using v them in a Ruger Bearcat to fend off rattle snakes.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Not really any good for rattlers- just not powerful enuff. I use .38/357 shotshells in a 2" Smith snubby. Or the first two rounds in my 4" .357. Having to use .22 shot, even CCI is scary when dealing with snakes.