JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm heading to the University of Oregon in Eugene with my oldest daughter for orientation and touring today.

My question is, are there any facilities on campus to stay clear of due to wanding or metal detectors?

My instinct tells me no, but considering I'll be some distance from both my hotel and automobile, trying to decide whether or not to carry or simply leave it locked in the automobile...

What say the trusty sages of NWFA?

maybe leave it locked up the first time while you get to know the facilities...

but I cant think of any reason why the university would have metal detectors or even wands in use?

My guess would be that their regressive-leftist sixth sense would immediately kick in and your body odor, redolent of gun oil, brass, cordite and your air of self confidence and awareness would cause air raid sirens and alarms to deftly sound thus alerting the local constabulary, FBI, CIA and campus security that a filthy, free-thinking second amendment supporter were present; chaos would ensue, the local economy would collapse and the death toll due to panic related injuries would sky rocket.

I believe (I'm, of course, not a lawyer), that the University's prohibition on weapons on campus applies only to students, employees, and people attending an event that requires a ticket.

They prohibit all weapons in buildings; however, that is probably the same as any private institution, they can only ask you to leave, but I'm not sure. In any case, if you got found out, it would probably have repercussions on your daughter's enrollment.

No campus has that high of security that I've heard of.

As long as they don't have a metal health building where they are treating patients you should be good to go.

As long as it's concealed, then don't ask and don't tell.

Thanks for the replies and comic relief as well... Much appreciated...

I decided to follow my gut instinct, so carry as usual, seems for the academic facilities I've gotten to so far aren't an issue.

We'll see when I hit more of the faculty and administration facilities later in the day.

Better to have and not need...

Since they take more than $0 from from the state they are a public university.

No weapons signs are for sheep. I carry when I go to events at OSU when I know the State Police won't be there (everything but football games).

Nobody is the wiser. Heck I don't even wear it in an IWB sometimes.

I've not seen any signage on the campus regarding firearms. They have signage prohibiting alcohol and tobacco, but not weed...

Yea, lighter carry due to the warmer weather. Just a 2" .38 with a few reloads. Jeans and a dress shirt cover most of my casual needs.

I thought Oregon state law said (in the constitution).. and was held and upheld recently in high court, that one can carry in schools/universities... and that it is indeed currently the law that one may do so.
I didn't mean to do no parade pissing on the good people guessing about the price of tea in China though or anything.

what I understand is they can ask you to leave the building, but not the property (campus).

I also am confused how they can make you leave a public building?

I don't believe they can restrict someone with a chl. I'd carry for sure. I'll NEVER leave my weapon unattended in a vehicle, period. I got into it with a Hillsboro cop on the Liberty campus a few years ago.....told em to piss off, there's absolutely nothing he could do...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top