JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been highly successful at catching crab from the shore using crab snares and a heavy duty fishing pole and reel.

I've recently been turned onto castable nets and I've got to thinking about how to cast these into the ocean from the beach without a pole.

I want to use paracord and a stake instead. I tried the Olympic version of crabbing where I swing the thing around a bunch like a volley and was only able to get it out about 30-50 yards out that way. I can cast my snare (roughly 8-10 ounces) about 70-80 yards. I've left the nets out at the distances I can get for up to an hour and they show no sign of nibbling on the bait. My snares usually show signs of nibbling after about 15 minutes.

Any thoughts?

I was considering the fun factor of a cam cannon, but legalities might not be in my favor.

Long stick? How would I insure it would release?

I've been stepping up my camp cuisine thanks to the ability to pull in fresh crab! Some food from the more recent camping excursion…

Crab nets I'm using are Crab Max nets. Got them while in Newport direct!

IMG_0650.jpeg IMG_0640.jpeg

Buy a large drone with the ability to drop it where you want. Please keep us informed on the progress. I used to use the pole/snare method off the south jetty in Newport with good results, lots of fun!

Buy a large drone with the ability to drop it where you want. Please keep us informed on the progress. I used to use the pole/snare method off the south jetty in Newport with good results, lots of fun!
Honestly not a horrible idea, if something like that is less than another pole, I'd consider it.

I saw a radio controlled boat gadget claiming to be be a fishing device.
1689370329464.png
maybe something like this if no remote release possibly a jerk line attached to it not only to release your net, but retrieve the boat if necessary in case it was to fail.

Pardon if inappropriate here, but if all else fails, I have a 15 foot 3 piece Gold coast challenger graphite surf pole with a large bait caster I'll never use again, It was really handy at getting out past the giant rocks fishing on the jetties. $20

im2.JPG

I've been highly successful at catching crab from the shore using crab snares and a heavy duty fishing pole and reel.

I've recently been turned onto castable nets and I've got to thinking about how to cast these into the ocean from the beach without a pole.

I want to use paracord and a stake instead. I tried the Olympic version of crabbing where I swing the thing around a bunch like a volley and was only able to get it out about 30-50 yards out that way. I can cast my snare (roughly 8-10 ounces) about 70-80 yards. I've left the nets out at the distances I can get for up to an hour and they show no sign of nibbling on the bait. My snares usually show signs of nibbling after about 15 minutes.

Any thoughts?

I was considering the fun factor of a cam cannon, but legalities might not be in my favor.

Long stick? How would I insure it would release?

I've been stepping up my camp cuisine thanks to the ability to pull in fresh crab! Some food from the more recent camping excursion…

Crab nets I'm using are Crab Max nets. Got them while in Newport direct!

View attachment 1452969 View attachment 1452970
When I was a tree trimmer we had a long band slingshot on a pole we used to launch a weight with a cord on it way into trees to set ropes called a "long shot" you could launch an apple out to 100yds or so!
Something like that might work.

When I was a tree trimmer we had a long band slingshot on a pole we used to launch a weight with a cord on it way into trees to set ropes called a "long shot" you could launch an apple out to 100yds or so!
Something like that might work.
I'm looking into building and or sourcing something like a slingshot. My only concerns are size and weight. YouTube has a lot of videos on pvc and all sorts of materials slingshots I've been watching here and there. I really like the idea of using a slingshot to cast. Especially if it beats carrying around the size of rod needed to cast on shore. Its when the slingshot contraption gets bigger than the pole, then I'll have to go back to the poles.

I contemplated build a floating devise that would use the tidal currents to haul a light weight crab trap out away from the bay shore.
The idea is to be able to have it steer against an incoming tide at an angle and then drop off the trap by it sliding off when the traps retrieval rope tightens up.
Sorta like a small light weight foam surfboard with angled fins.

I'm looking into building and or sourcing something like a slingshot. My only concerns are size and weight. YouTube has a lot of videos on pvc and all sorts of materials slingshots I've been watching here and there. I really like the idea of using a slingshot to cast. Especially if it beats carrying around the size of rod needed to cast on shore. Its when the slingshot contraption gets bigger than the pole, then I'll have to go back to the poles.
One of the Bonneville slingshot crews has a receiver hitch mounted slingshot.
There is a video of it somewhere.

A bit pricey itself, but I'm using this as a template. I've got some random stuff lying around that I could make into something like this. Might try incorporating large diameter pvc as a guide too.

A bit pricey itself, but I'm using this as a template. I've got some random stuff lying around that I could make into something like this. Might try incorporating large diameter pvc as a guide too.

that's exactly what we used.

More motivation!!

I learned about bait cannons today and know this is all I can think about.

af0905e3d673f6f6dca70aadc5a26613.gif

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR