JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Took the fam fishing today. I was focused on bass. Fly rod and baitcaster. Got follows by some big post spawn fish but as typical with Hagg lake bass, they were noncommital. They would rush the lure or fly but not even take half hearted swipes.

Late in the afternoon, I found a shaded spot, figured maybe some more willing specimens. I found willing specimens of a different species. School of catfish going apeshart in the shallows, maybe getting ready to spawn, I dunno. I rarely fish cats anymore, especially out there, because catfishing is primarily a bait soaking game and I like lures.

I cut my 5 inch baitfish immitations off and tied on the only small fly I brought - a sparkly bedazzled bead head Woolly Bugger. It was the ticket for those kitty cats though! Landed five out of 6 hook ups, including a couple that got foul hooked when they swiped the fly and missed. Crazy action for a short period, and put up a heck of a tussle on my 7 weight. My boy got to fight and land one of the fish - his only fish of the day too, sadly.

O7PA0xb.jpg

OcIWpSX.jpg

NyCI9b7.jpg

jIfZKNT.jpg

If I could catch cats on the fly with regularity...i may be tempted to put bass on the back burner. I don't see that happening though. It sure was fun, albeit unexpected.

Yeah, it's too bad there aten't any small streams with cats in them. I'm impressed! I'll have to hit Hagg again this weekend. I'm glad you had a good day there. Well done! :)

Yeah, it's too bad there aten't any small streams with cats in them. I'm impressed! I'll have to hit Hagg again this weekend. I'm glad you had a good day there. Well done! :)

Keep an eye out in the shallows for the kitties. The ones I caught were all in 3 feet or less of water, and since its a clear lake, they were easy to spot. First time I ever sight fished for cats :D

The Tualatin has cats, and I am sure they run up the tributaries.

CF029CDA-8F22-4ABB-A6C6-4C59BDED5BF4.jpeg 7E77279A-DDC7-4353-9952-B0A79B9D0B40.jpeg A couple of my employees weeks ago in the Snake. They got 4 like this in 2 hrs. I think it is the blue Cats that are very aggressive and often take Bass lures here.

Guy in bottom pic is standing on his rod, must be an Ugly Stick since it appwars to be in one piece still.

Nice looking cats, look like channels.
:s0113:

To your other post, I think the Tualatin is too deep and slow to use flies well on. I was thinking more your typical stream, maybe a bit more mud and a log jam. I've seen videos online where guys catch cats on streamers.

PS: I'll keep an eye out, most definitely!

:s0113:

To your other post, I think the Tualatin is too deep and slow to use flies well on. I was thinking more your typical stream, maybe a bit more mud and a log jam. I've seen videos online where guys catch cats on streamers.

PS: I'll keep an eye out, most definitely!

I think the lower reach of Fanno near its mouth, the lower reach of Johnson Creek may be similar to what you are looking for

It's possible, but I don't have a fly line I would put in that water, at least not now. Honestly i'm more interested in carp than cats out here.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top