JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Using Missouri Bullet IDP #4-XD 200gr RN in my 45 ACP 5" Kimber. Started at published low of 4.4gr and worked up to 5.3gr and I feel like I am getting low velocity. 5.3gr got me an average of 791. I was hoping for something closer to 850 as this is a 18bhn bullet meant for major PF. OAL was 1.225". Should I try shortening OAL to increase velocity?

I'd keep the OAL to suit your gun and increase powder charge.
I'm not gonna dust off my protractor but I'd think a 200gr @ 900 would be close to a 230 @830

I've always used bullseye or unique for my .45 ACP loads. Bullseye is kinda fast. Wonder if unique would work for you?

>this is a 18bhn bullet meant for major PF.

And yet, all my swaged lead bullets do major with no issues.
18-22 BHN, if it really serves any purpose, would be for non-gas-check lead bullets in rifles. Heck, I run 8-12 BHN up to 1300 fps without leading--FIT is the thing.
Just remember, your mix of components aren't the same as in any manual and, if you check more than one manual, you'll find the data can differ a lot. Components do make a difference--even the lot number of powder being used. You may have a "soft" lot of powder. You may have a "slow" barrel. What you can't do is determine pressure signs reliably with a 21ksi cartridge—by the time you see a pressure sign, you will be way past +P pressures and probably into the 30ksi range.
Now, let's say you shortened the COL to get more velocity. That only works by increasing pressure. If you are at max pressure already, you really don't want to do that.
You can do the same thing by using more powder, and get the same pressure increase, and not find that you now have feeding issues. You'll also find that any change in COL less than 0.050" will have almost no effect any way.
One manual shows 5.5gn 231/HP38 and L-RN doing 910fps at max pressure. That is the ONLY L-RN and 231/HP38 I show.
About the "best" you can do is shoot some 230gn factory ammo to get some idea if your gun is just "slow." Also, I like to track the recoil feel and where the cases end up. If my reload gives me close to the same recoil feeling and the cases end up near the factory cases, I can feel some confidence that I am near max pressure.

Thanks, I loaded up some rounds to test. Hopefully I'll be able to get out this weekend and shoot them.

Metering this stuff was a pain. What do you guys use to measure it? Inconsistent from my Dillon and Redding measures.

Thanks, I loaded up some rounds to test. Hopefully I'll be able to get out this weekend and shoot them.

Metering this stuff was a pain. What do you guys use to measure it? Inconsistent from my Dillon and Redding measures.

There was a time I measured everything, I'm to old for that now. Sort your cases and run the Dillon with the powder funnel about 5/8 to 3/4 full and keep it there. Some how I shot six inches off hand at 25 yards the other day and have seen five inches once last winter at 25 yards. Eight inches at 25 yards is about what happens for me most of the time. All of the above is eight shots on the paper for each group. My eyes are not as good as they once were, there was a time when I was striving to shoot slow fire for one ragged hole @ 25 yards.

with Unique I keep the hopper fairly full,and give a few light knuckle raps to settle it in, and then dump a few before loading. Try measuring a few before,and after knuckle rapping, I think you'll find it helps.

Loaded with my dillon and it seems consistent enough. probably +/- 0.1gr max variance. I chose a load far from max so should be okay. Approaching max gave diminishing return on velocity.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews