JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going up to Seattle on Amtrak and really want to bring my EDC with me. I know what the rules say - it has to be declared and checked in baggage - but I hate the idea of not having it on me during the trip and am not checking any bags.

Just anecdotally - does anyone know if you have to go through a metal detector/security like an airport? Not that I would circumvent the rules, just curious. I definitely want to carry while in Seattle.

I have taken the Amtrack from Salem to portland a few times and there was no metal detector or anything like that. I did see though in Portland they had dogs sniffing all the luggage.

are we talking Amtrak rules or actual federal and state laws? (like flying...)
That's a good point - I read on the Amtrak website. I am not sure if there are federal rules that apply that are similar to airplanes. I think I should do some due-dilligence on that :)

When the dogs cue on you just pull a slim jim from your pocket and give the dog a treat. Piss off the handler and make the dog look unreliable to the others at the security theater showing...:rolleyes:

I ended up leaving the gun at home, though I don't think I would have had a problem getting it on the train. There was virtually no security or screening of any kind. They didn't even check my tickets to make sure I was in the right car.

I'm one that usually ignores the 'no weapons' signs, but given the federal component here, I decided not to risk it. I did wish I was carrying when walking around Seattle at night - it can get pretty sketchy.

I ended up leaving the gun at home, though I don't think I would have had a problem getting it on the train. There was virtually no security or screening of any kind. They didn't even check my tickets to make sure I was in the right car.

I'm one that usually ignores the 'no weapons' signs, but given the federal component here, I decided not to risk it. I did wish I was carrying when walking around Seattle at night - it can get pretty sketchy.

Not advice, and it's worth what is paid. If this was me? I would show up with my EDC. If I come to a check point, I would leave. Rules? Well I would look at "rules" like I did all the years we had no CC law where I lived. What did I think was more likely to happen. I would need my EDC, or I would be caught carrying. I chose carry. Wife and I have not been for a while but now and then go to the City to see the market at such. I would NEVER go there without being protected. We take the express bus. Parking down there is a PITA. So we park at the park and ride and express it down there. Use a cab if needed once there.

If this was me? I would show up with my EDC. If I come to a check point, I would leave.

Problem is nowadays there is too many variables and less consistency. You could leave home with your edc and board the train or whatever no security but find out you gotta pass thru a metal detector to make the return trip cause the Seattle station has more crime.

Problem is nowadays there is too many variables and less consistency. You could leave home with your edc and board the train or whatever no security but find out you gotta pass thru a metal detector to make the return trip cause the Seattle station has more crime.
As I mentioned not advice and worth what readers are paying. If it was me. I would carry. If I run into a detector / screening I would leave. If I was in the city and run into it on the way back I would deal with it. I would NEVER go there unprotected. There is a HELL of a lot more crime there IMHO. Now what others want to do it totally up to them. If they feel good going into that sewer with no protection that's fine with me.

When the dogs cue on you just pull a slim jim from your pocket and give the dog a treat. Piss off the handler and make the dog look unreliable to the others at the security theater showing...:rolleyes:
I don't think it would be a good idea to try giving airport dogs treats. The dogs that have sniffed me at airports ( PDX, PHL, JFK, IAH, ATL ) did not appear to be the kind that would respond to a slim-jim. If one did, that's a poorly trained dog. I also noted, the K-9 handlers looked like the type who would shove their boot you-know-where if I had tried to give the dog a treat.
It seems to be to be arbitrary when and where they show up, though, I haven't been sniffed in a TSA line since getting Pre-Check, just out in the ticketing area.

th?id=OIP.KwYyoDa-c73QS0w7hXpTNQEsCo&w=300&h=168&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.7.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top