JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mostly on topic question: where does everyone keep their CPLs?
I normally keep mine in my wallet, but there are times when I have my gun, but leave my wallet at home (jogging, for example).

A cop told me that King County doesn't have a computerized CPL database, so if you don't have your permit with you it can take ages for them to do a hand check (of +300,000 names!) which will obviously put the cop involved in a bad enough mood that they won't be inclined to let you off with a warning.
I've taken to carrying mine with a bit of cash tucked into my holster while jogging. Awkward if it's needed, but at least it's there, and not bouncing out of your pocket. Perhaps an ipod carry band would be a better way?

Mostly on topic question: where does everyone keep their CPLs?
I normally keep mine in my wallet, but there are times when I have my gun, but leave my wallet at home (jogging, for example).

I would not worry about it too much. Unless the cop is having a real big attitude or you are doing something you really shouldn't be it should be a non issue.

Yes state law says the permit has to be on you, but it is only a misdemeanor so what is he going to do? Write you a ticket that you can go fight or get reduced.
RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

One of my clients is an Oregon State Trooper, and her and I have talked about this subject at length. She insists that 90 percent of LEOs would prefer someone to politely mention if they have a CHL, just on principle. This isn't to say that they immediately suspect someone if they DON'T disclose this information, but being honest is always a better route to take.

One of my clients is an Oregon State Trooper, and her and I have talked about this subject at length. She insists that 90 percent of LEOs would prefer someone to politely mention if they have a CHL, just on principle. This isn't to say that they immediately suspect someone if they DON'T disclose this information, but being honest is always a better route to take.

Being "honest" about what? You are not being dis-honest about not saying anything since UNLESS it has something to do with why you were stopped.

I am very honest about anything and everything involving the reason I was stopped. My firearm has NOTHING to do with why I was stopped................

I am sure most LEO would prefer if someone would "politely mention" if they planed on doing the officer harm, but that is not how life works.

This is essentially the same argument I bring up with her....it's become a fun little back-and-forth banter during the hours we're stuck in close proximity to one another. Again, she always makes it a point that it's not really a "bad" thing to not say anything....you just may get an extra nod from a lot of cops if you come out with it, supposedly. I guess, if anything, it may increase your chances of talking your way out of a ticket.

She insists that 90 percent of LEOs would prefer someone to politely mention if they have a CHL, just on principle.

We get CHL info as soon as we run the DL.

If the car is registered to you, we frequently know you have a CHL before we even get out of the car to say "hi".

If you mean that she prefers that a driver tell you about a concealed handgun that is a different story. I treat everyone as potentially armed. Smart cops do.

If you tell me you have one in the car. I will say something to the effect of, "That's nice. You don't touch yours. I won't touch mine. Deal?"

The problems start when people start wanting to tell you they are carrying and then want to take it out and SHOW it to you... Happens more frequently than you would think.

Pro tip: Don't be that guy.

Also, I know its perfectly legal and convenient, but don't carry a pistol in the same place you keep your insurance and registration. That can lead to unneccessary tension between you and the officer.

- Z

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads