JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/12/concealed-carry-are-back-up-guns-for-civilians-a-good-idea/

I know many fellow members here are CHL holders and EDC is a part of life, so wanted to get a consensus and start a conversation on carrying a back up gun along with your primary EDC.

Many people frown upon the idea and say that only wannabe
Rambos will be packing 2 guns at any given time and others are strong advocates and believers of Murphy's Law and preparing for the worst...

I EDC with 9 rounds of 45ACP in my Sidearm and a folder knife in my front pocket and rarely carry an Extra magazine on my person. Topics like the one discussed in link at top and current events have me thinking about the benefit and reasoning of a BUG or at least reloads as part of my daily attire.

So what say you? Anybody EDC a BUG? If so what's your preferred method and choice of firearm?... Or is it paranoid and over the top for a civilian to carry a BUG?

It depends on the activities. If Im just down town and planning on just hanging out and not doing anything active, yes I do.

Also while on the job a certain locations.
BUG's have a role.
Most firearms will not fail when you meed them most, but I carry a backup to perhaps arm a friend or family member should the need arise.

I go from a BUG carry to single carry.. It depends on my mood and location.

Depends on situation, but a lot of times yes. I have a .380 TCP in a pocket holster that is just too easy to slip in the back pocket. No extra mag for that, but at least one for my normal carry, and usually 2.

A bug for me is a handgun when I am carrying a rifle. There have been times in the past when traveling far from home I would take two handguns with me but never carried both at the same time for defense.

However I was rabbit hunting in Christmas valley back in the 80's and wanted to better myself with a handgun. I strapped on 4 handguns and started hunting with my six friends. Game cop checked us for hunting lic and said he really liked some of my handguns.:D

Test yourself often to maintain your skill.

Happy to hear a few others with likewise mentality as myself. I was leaning toward a S&W J frame in an ankle rig for a BUG prospect, but I've heard a lot of negative about ankle carry so I'm still weighing my options...

I am a strong follower of Ayoobs 10 Commandments of carry and plan to practice accordingly with what ever platform I decide on and do I my best to stay out of any situation or area where conflict might be a higher possibility, but Murphy is an unforgiving fellow.

I also like what survivalist brought up as the BUG to arm Someone close-by should need arise. Look forward to hear anyone else's take on the subject.

I believe that you need to keep safety in mind at all times, but there gets to be a point of overkill or just being a tinfoil hat.
If life is at a point where you need to carry multiple firearms, or you have that much fear either you have some mental issues or you just need to move to the country.

You shouldn't be carrying a firearm to be in a firefight, it's about protecting your life or someone else's.
If I have to use mine it's to eliminate a threat and get the heck out of there as fast as possible.
Your first duty is to stay out of a threatening situations and if finding yourself in a threatening situation get out of it.

The other part of carrying is knowing what will happen if God forbid you do use your weapon and live. you need to explain to a Cop, Judge, and/or jury what happened and why you did what you did. And how you are not a threat to others. It's not always about the facts, it can be about perception with jury.

I work very hard and methodocally about being a good person, not breaking the law, being a great family man, and helping others any chance I can.

If I'm in a situation where I need extra mags, I haven't practiced enough, and didn't stay mindful of my security.

I believe that you need to keep safety in mind at all times, but there gets to be a point of overkill or just being a tinfoil hat.
If life is at a point where you need to carry multiple firearms, or you have that much fear either you have some mental issues or you just need to move to the country.

You shouldn't be carrying a firearm to be in a firefight, it's about protecting your life or someone else's.
If I have to use mine it's to eliminate a threat and get the heck out of there as fast as possible.
Your first duty is to stay out of a threatening situations and if finding yourself in a threatening situation get out of it.

The other part of carrying is knowing what will happen if God forbid you do use your weapon and live. you need to explain to a Cop, Judge, and/or jury what happened and why you did what you did. And how you are not a threat to others. It's not always about the facts, it can be about perception with jury.

I work very hard and methodocally about being a good person, not breaking the law, being a great family man, and helping others any
chance I can.

If I'm in a situation where I need extra mags, I haven't practiced enough, and didn't stay mindful of my security.

I respect your opinion and view Clearconscience and believe you are in good company as many others share your view on this subject.

No Tin-Foil hats in my household Lol. As I stated in above post first and foremost rule in life carrying or not is to be alert and aware of surroundings and keep yourself out of a scenario or situation where something bad has a higher probability of occurring and I practice this on a daily basis.

I believe "Paranoia" is a matter of perception based on education or ones life events. It is also a word commonly used among the Gun
Grabbers pertaining to anyone who believes they need to carry a firearm "period". I must admit since having children many of my views on life and preparation for the worst have changed and would be questioned and knocked by my younger Bachelor self, but having a family has a way of opening your eyes...

As I've said I carry one primary and started this topic for a discussion of those for and against the idea of a backup gun as I enjoy to hear the knowledge and opinions of fellow members.

Now I gotta go get some milk at the store so I need to dawn my double bandoliers, Bowie knife, and M72 LAW... Wish me Luck;)

Well I have two hands and arms don't I?

So a right side gun. And a left side backup makes sense.
If I get shot in the right hand or arm I can grab the left side backup.

If I need the backup to replace my primary. I can pull it with my left hand. And just move it to my right. No big deal.

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

Kimber .45 EDC, NAA .22 WMR EDC backup + 2 8 rd mags of .45 plus two knives, one assisted opening and the other is just a pocket knife I've had for many years. The pocket knife is more for whittling or cleaning fingernails than anything else though.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member
Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

I respect your opinion and view Clearconscience and believe you are in good company as many others share your view on this subject.

No Tin-Foil hats in my household Lol. As I stated in above post first and foremost rule in life carrying or not is to be alert and aware of surroundings and keep yourself out of a scenario or situation where something bad has a higher probability of occurring and I practice this on a daily basis.

I believe "Paranoia" is a matter of perception based on education or ones life events. It is also a word commonly used among the Gun
Grabbers pertaining to anyone who believes they need to carry a firearm "period". I must admit since having children many of my views on life and preparation for the worst have changed and would be questioned and knocked by my younger Bachelor self, but having a family has a way of opening your eyes...

As I've said I carry one primary and started this topic for a discussion of those for and against the idea of a backup gun as I enjoy to hear the knowledge and opinions of fellow members.

Now I gotta go get some milk at the store so I need to dawn my double bandoliers, Bowie knife, and M72 LAW... Wish me Luck;)

However, sometimes trouble comes to you as happened to me in our motorhome in mid-Montana!
Which is why I just happened to have my .45 and 12 GA with me and handy even though the .45 wasn't on me at the time!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member
Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

True, well my IWB holster I can reach with both hands, but I usually have my 2 year old with me. So I need one arm around her and a free hand for my firearm.

If something bad should come my way I would retreat at all cost with her and if need be fire a couple rounds to get the BG to think about what he's doing. A lot of times these suicide kids hell bent on making a name for themselves or whatever will just turn the gun on themselves when resistance is met.

I think it's good to always have a back up plan and know how to improvise. I don't think carrying two firearms is a bad thing, but I wouldn't ever do it for basic self defense.
Maybe if I'm meeting a craiglister or going into NoPo.
But going to the grocery store packing one handgun can be heavy enough.
I'm not going be start carrying like Neo going into the gov't building.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top