JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone 'preparing' as far as cardio goes? I surely have not been... I've done my share of hikes and broke a sweat here and there hunting or riding but nothing like a workout from a long run. So yesterday I started my running routine. I probably ran 1mile with a walk-break in between and walked another mile. wow I'm out of shape at only 28yrs old, its dissapointing. I remember 10 yrs ago I would start the game as tail back and defense as linebacker and then kick-off/kick return without thinking twice. Hoping that very soon I can get to a point where I can run atleast 2 miles without too much mental effort and go from there. It was easy going to sleep last night leme tell ya.

It only gets tougher with age.....sorry. I am retired and do a walk/weights regime to attempt to stay in shape, but it isn't easy. I remember once when I was about your age while hunting elk in the Ochocos with my dad we met up after a sweep and he sat next to me and said. "I wish my hair was still brown, the hills weren't as steep then"

Since you asked, I'm working on my 3 mile run time. 25:15 min There are guys our age doing it in 18:00. I'm told there are a lot of them and they aren't necessarily track stars. Biggest thing I only realized from my first 400 m dash in forever was that despite my jogging, my lung capacity is bubblegume. I kinda wanted to puke but the problem was what my body was trying to get rid of was my lungs.

uber dillo...I hear that! My lungs felt like they were bleeding yesterday...lol. My girlfriend started running marathons and all that about 6 months ago and she keeps telling me it will pass in a couple weeks. So I'm looking forward to that atleast. also, I need to start doing push-ups/pull-ups etc, I miss the days of pushing myself hard

MA Duce...sounds like the story of last year's guided hunting trip with my Dad. Our guide was fresh out of the marines and was a sniper. He was about a year younger than me and took us across some hills that about killed my dad. I felt so bad for him... But you know, there are people that stay in shape their whole lives and run marathons at age 75 so it can be done. I think you just have to make it part of your lifestyle from a young age and stick to it. Like brushing your teeth

Rally,
I decided back in January to get back in shape, which a big part is cardio. I can tell you it will get easier, in fact now I look forward to my 2 or 3 trips to the gym each week to push my self a bit more each time. I'm 35, and no it wasn't easy at first. When I started, I was done with cardio at 15 or 20 minutes. Now I spend 40-50 minutes in the cardio room then head to the wieghts or basketball. HOWEVER, do not 'over train.' You can really hurt yourself if you push too much too quickly. Look for signs: Not sleeping well, elevated resting heart rate long after you stop working out...look into the dangers & other signs you are over training, especially if you are trying to keep up with a GF who is training for marathon & 6 months ahead of you!! Good luck man!

You know, I always find it funny when I see these people who have every tactical toy under the sun to suppliment their years of prepardness supplies, yet can't sprint a mile and weight 300+ pounds. Real preparedness includes taking care of and training our bodies, not just making purchases and learning skills.

You know, I always find it funny when I see these people who have every tactical toy under the sun to suppliment their years of prepardness supplies, yet can't sprint a mile and weight 300+ pounds. Real preparedness includes taking care of and training our bodies, not just making purchases and learning skills.

Yeh but whats more fun dieting and exercise or having every tactical toy under the sun.

and a body can live a couple weeks off that spare tire.

Rally,
I decided back in January to get back in shape, which a big part is cardio. I can tell you it will get easier, in fact now I look forward to my 2 or 3 trips to the gym each week to push my self a bit more each time. I'm 35, and no it wasn't easy at first. When I started, I was done with cardio at 15 or 20 minutes. Now I spend 40-50 minutes in the cardio room then head to the wieghts or basketball. HOWEVER, do not 'over train.' You can really hurt yourself if you push too much too quickly. Look for signs: Not sleeping well, elevated resting heart rate long after you stop working out...look into the dangers & other signs you are over training, especially if you are trying to keep up with a GF who is training for marathon & 6 months ahead of you!! Good luck man!

I learned my lesson of over exhertion about 2 months ago when I tried doing this modified version of P90X with a friend. It was brutal and I hadn't worked out like that for years. I strained my right peck and bicep so bad I couldn't wipe my ars for a 2 weeks. It took literaly 4-5 weeks to get all mobility back and feel normal again...I tore it up bad. Thanks for the reminder though. I will be taking it easy like I did yesterday...for about 2-3 weeks probably

uber dillo...I hear that! My lungs felt like they were bleeding yesterday...lol. My girlfriend started running marathons and all that about 6 months ago and she keeps telling me it will pass in a couple weeks. So I'm looking forward to that atleast. also, I need to start doing push-ups/pull-ups etc, I miss the days of pushing myself hard

MA Duce...sounds like the story of last year's guided hunting trip with my Dad. Our guide was fresh out of the marines and was a sniper. He was about a year younger than me and took us across some hills that about killed my dad. I felt so bad for him... But you know, there are people that stay in shape their whole lives and run marathons at age 75 so it can be done. I think you just have to make it part of your lifestyle from a young age and stick to it. Like brushing your teeth

You are correct about making it a lifestyle, I am in what I consider good shape for my age group, but I will never be in the shape I was while on active duty.....you can't beat old man time, only postpone him.

I have been running 2 1/2 miles every other day. my last timed run was 18:00 min for 2 1/2 but it sucks now that I am pushing 40.

I could do a 6 minute mile at age 42. It's all about working your way up slowly and then keeping up your conditioning

Thanks to some wear and tear on my knees I have gained a lot of weight in the last 3 years. My knees are now fixed, I am on a diet now and walking regularly, am running short runs and will be truly running again soon. Until the time my knees gave out I was doing 2 to 3 days a week of Navy Seals type cardio kickboxing/ground workouts (for almost 5 years) and was very fit

I healed naturally with supplements but there's been a European breakthrough on joint wear and tear where they extract some of your joint material, grow your own cells in a lab and then re-inject your joints with lots of the stuff. It's said to be a fast miracle cure and will soon hit the market in the USA if the feds will get out of the way. In the meantime you can fly to Europe to get the work done. It takes two trips in total

sorry to hear about your knees. I was told by a friend if I keep on the running thing that eventually I'll have knee problems but I'm not going to switch to a bike because it just doesn't work the cardio hard enough for me.

sorry to hear about your knees. I was told by a friend if I keep on the running thing that eventually I'll have knee problems but I'm not going to switch to a bike because it just doesn't work the cardio hard enough for me.

They can eventually wear out. Part of the problem is I was a tile setter for many years of my life and on my knees a lot. Even with kneepads they will eventually wear out. Some people can regenerate with the right supplements and rest, I have but now have to get the xtra weight off before I can get back to serious running. I am now losing weight so I have real hope

I was 5 foot 11, 210 at age 42 so you don't have to be a skinny long distance runner to do a fast mile. People told me I looked like Agent Smith from the Matrix lol

My gal and I used to run 3.5 miles 3 x a week. She could not keep up with me but got close after years of working her way up. I used to have an amazing sprint, it floored even me since before that I was not a runner. I can now see where the Scots got the "Highland Charge" from..

Workout machines can't get you the same level of workout IMO, and never give you the same endorphin high. But if you're injured they can substitute some low impact for a while. Any workout is better than sitting on your butt. If you're over 35 and not taking DHEA or HGH you should be

i can vouch for suppliments working. Not on people exactly but my dog had major cartlidge problems before she died and couldn't walk because of it. after we put her on suppliments she was going to the bathroom on her own & walking around ok for a good 6 months until she passed

i can vouch for suppliments working. Not on people exactly but my dog had major cartlidge problems before she died and couldn't walk because of it. after we put her on suppliments she was going to the bathroom on her own & walking around ok for a good 6 months until she passed

Look into DMSO next time as an additional help, it's a real miracle that greatly reduces inflammation and eases pain

im screwed when it comes to running i have a bad hip but for cardio goes i punch a bag i have a heavy bag and a headach bag it hooks to the truss in the garage and to the floor its more for rithum i just started back on weights again a few weeks ago im in my mid fifties and its not easy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top