JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Use it myself - garlic - uggghhhh!

Love garlic.. about to plant my elephant garlic for the year. Last year I grew real giants and the best cloves, about 12 to 15 of them will get planted. I also have a pretty good standard white garlic patch that takes no tending. The Mrs makes some winning dishes with garlic. At the same time I will plant a big patch of leeks.. leek/potato soup is heavenly

After quitting a high-stress job in January I, too, decided to get back into shape by running. For the first four weeks I ran 5 days a week, starting at 1 mile a day and increasing it a half a mile each week. Now I run 3 or 4 days a week and usually do somewhere between 3 to 4 miles a day. My best 4 mile run (so far) is 37:30. I have mild asthma and the running really helps with that, although I can tell when I'm on a faster pace because I feel like I want to die!

I started running for the first time a few years ago about a month before deer season started. I could really tell the difference when I was out hunting after just doing it for a month. I kept it up for a couple of years, but stopped due to the job taking so much of my time. Now I'm "back in the saddle" and it feels great. I feel great.

I'm 48.:s0155:

The endorphin high after you complete a run is awesome. Be sure to wear the best footwear to protect your joints. I use a type of berber-carpet padding and an insert of woven wool sheeting (3/16 inch thick) on top of it in my runners as padding.. and change the padding often

I started running a few weeks ago. Want to start swimming soon (when I can figure it into my schedule) as it really burns calories and helps get you in shape with virtually zero impact. Push-ups and sit-ups each morning as well.

I started lifting weights too. I feel a lot better already. Running the mile pretty easily now. I'm gonna start doing 1 mile before and after work starting next week

Since I posted last my running has improved unbelievably from interval training. I went from a 25 min 3 mile in April to a 19:34 min run. :s0001: I'm not sure I'd be doing this without the external motivation I have right now, but it's totally do-able.

...but I'm not going to switch to a bike because it just doesn't work the cardio hard enough for me.

Try riding a mountain bike, in the mountains. We do multi-mile hill climbs and it's as heavy a cardio as I've ever gotten on a run. But I'll agree with you, the street stuff tends to be much lower level. Going out for about 16 miles this morning. I try to go on at least 2 rides a week, but I'm still shaking the winter break off! I'll be supplementing the rides with some gym workouts for upper body strength as well. I love being 40, I hate feeling 40.

A few years ago I started to get back into shape and when I first started I couldn't run a mile w/o having to walk/run the next mile, but after about 3 months I worked up to running 6 miles in 40 mins. Some VERY IMPORTANT things to do is a proper warm up and stretching routine BEFORE you run. When I was in the Army in my early 20's I could take off on a 10k run "cold turkey" with little consequence.

In my mid 30's (when I was a civie and starting to run again), I made the mistake of skipping the warm up and gave myself shin splints, so I started a 10-15 minute regime of warm up and stretching, bought a GOOD pair of running shoes from the Portland Running Company Store in Tigard, then exploded in cardio ability shortly thereafter... now I'm in my mid 40's, haven't really run so much as a 1/4 mile in 8 years, but have been thinking of starting over again.

If you have injured/aged joints try riding a bike or pool calisthenics, even a "brisk walk" and pumping/swinging your arms helps more than you think.

If you run, do a PROPER warm-up and stretching routine, get the blood flowing into your muscles!

Buy the BEST pair of running shoes you can find/afford... it makes a HUGE difference. I recommend Asics brand running shoes, as most people tend to run on the outside edge of their feet, and Asics has a great design to counter that so you are running on the "whole" foot surface.

Run to a cadence, whether in your head to yourself, or with headphones, you will be amazed at how that helps you "lean into" the run. You can find all kinds of recorded military running cadences that will "pump you up".

In the context of being "combat ready", don't be too caught up on "how long" it takes you to run a given distance, rather focus on the CONTINUAL distance ran w/o stopping or walkin/running... long-term endurance FIRST, then the short-term speed will follow... I promise.

I was an Infantry Drill Sgt who has, "run over the horizon and back" HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of times while pushing troops.... listen to what I say. ;)

Due to time constraints, I break down my weights routine and use an elliptical during breaks between weights. Instead of going fast I crank up the resistance as high as I can still manage a 10 minute "mile" (according to the machine). I think the resistance helps get the heart rate up and makes the workout more efficient.

In the context of being "combat ready", don't be too caught up on "how long" it takes you to run a given distance, rather focus on the CONTINUAL distance ran w/o stopping or walkin/running... long-term endurance FIRST, then the short-term speed will follow... I promise.

kaplow... the single most under-realized aspect to the beginnings of running regimens, whether new runners OR guys coming back to a fitness lifestyle after a period of worthlessness (that's right- i just equated being out of shape with being worthless).

guys get fixated on run times... they set a goal for a 2 mile or 3 mile run time, and totally sell themselves short. the best first thing you can do is run a solid 5-6 miles. doesn't matter the speed, so long as you can do it... run a snails pace, if you have to.. work yourself up. then, once you can run 6 miles and without leaving a trail a puke along the way, go out and time your 2 miler- lo, and behold, you'll probably be almost to your goal. then throw in some interval training and you'll be up to speed in no time.

everyone who's posted in this thread should add their name to this list!
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/qu...ouncements/56913-vote-fitness-subsection.html

We hike and bike (and I have been known to do some running) but I have found the best cardio exercise is the type that involves actual physical stress and muscle building. Try getting into a sport or self defense class that centers on grappling. They really build endurance as well as strengthen your core. You will be surprised at what a difference you will see in a short time. I can actually feel defined ab muscles under my layer of belly blubber now. When we started the sit ups would kick my tail. Now I can do them while chatting.

We hike and bike (and I have been known to do some running) but I have found the best cardio exercise is the type that involves actual physical stress and muscle building. Try getting into a sport or self defense class that centers on grappling. They really build endurance as well as strengthen your core. You will be surprised at what a difference you will see in a short time. I can actually feel defined ab muscles under my layer of belly blubber now. When we started the sit ups would kick my tail. Now I can do them while chatting.

LOL.. if you can jaw-jack while doing sit-ups then you have to do them FASTER!

Not an option. We do the partnered sit ups where we have to pass the medicine ball back and forth between you while doing them. If you go faster than your partner you just end up losing rhythm...and I am, at best, challenged in that department as it stands. :)

a good way to ease into a cardio regimen, if you're either injured or out of shape, is the elliptical. you've got to have access to one, obviously, which usually means signing up for a gymbo membership, but it's a very useful tool. no impact, is a spinal compress exercise, and works both arms and legs if you do it right. burns a bubblegumload of calories, if that's something you're needing, and most modern machines have pre-programmed interval "courses" that'll rebuild your cardio condition pretty fast. it's NO substitute for running, but it'll at least get you to a stepping off point, if you're so bad you simply cant jump straight into running.

ETA- and it's not just a pansy exercise... i have really strong cardio, and i still hit the elliptical 2+ times a week, usually for a solid cardio workout between hard runs.

I have to agree with the people here that say how much harder it is to stay in shape when you are older. Ten years ago I was in my physical prime. Now I have to think before bending over to pick something up. It sucks when your DNA starts to unravel I tell you.

We just now finished a 3 hour physical skills test to advance in our krav class. I will gladly tell people about it if someone would come over here and move the keyboard around to meet my unmoving fingers.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews