Carbide Die 'Suddenly' Making Vertical Striations In Cases.

RVTECH

Reactions
My RCBS 9mm carbide sizing die is suddenly making striations in the cases all the way around them.
I can't imagine this is something I have overlooked and just recently noticed. Anyone experience this?

v0lcom13sn0w

Reactions
usually a dirty die. what ive done is take the decapper out and put some 0000 around a drillbit or better yet a wooden dowel, chuck it up in the drill and buff the inside of the die. its unlikely that dirt/ debris is going to scratch carbide

OP
RVTECH

RVTECH

Reactions
How often do you clean your dies?
Regularly - and I cleaned it yesterday and still the striations.
I just pulled the decap stem and looked at it with lupe and the striations are in the carbide portion of the die.
I'll hit it with a brass brush to see if it is just heavy grime and see what happens.

OP
RVTECH

RVTECH

Reactions
Ok die scrubbed with a brass brush and about 80% of the lines are gone but I can see very small nicks & chips in the carbide portion.
This die is a 1977 vintage so it may be time for a new sizer!

OP
RVTECH

RVTECH

Reactions
are you making contact with the shell holder?
Just barely - which is how a Co-Ax is suppose to be adjusted. I understand about this issue with other presses (such as my Rock Chucker) where there is nothing to
Limit the pressure on the die if it makes contact with it.
With the Co-Ax if the die makes anything more than just slight contact with the shell holder there will be other problems as well but the ram is designed to stop so there is essentially no pressure on the die.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom