Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Carbide Die 'Suddenly' Making Vertical Striations In Cases.

Reactions
My RCBS 9mm carbide sizing die is suddenly making striations in the cases all the way around them.
I can't imagine this is something I have overlooked and just recently noticed. Anyone experience this?

v0lcom13sn0w

Reactions
usually a dirty die. what ive done is take the decapper out and put some 0000 around a drillbit or better yet a wooden dowel, chuck it up in the drill and buff the inside of the die. its unlikely that dirt/ debris is going to scratch carbide

OP
RVTECH
Reactions
How often do you clean your dies?
Regularly - and I cleaned it yesterday and still the striations.
I just pulled the decap stem and looked at it with lupe and the striations are in the carbide portion of the die.
I'll hit it with a brass brush to see if it is just heavy grime and see what happens.

Dyjital

Reactions
Gremlins.

Die gremlins I tell ya.

Could have been bats ya know, we are in bay country.

OP
RVTECH
Reactions
Ok die scrubbed with a brass brush and about 80% of the lines are gone but I can see very small nicks & chips in the carbide portion.
This die is a 1977 vintage so it may be time for a new sizer!

Reactions: KKG

v0lcom13sn0w

Reactions
WEll, additional scrubbing revealed something I have heard about but never experienced - the carbide inner sleeve is cracked!
Looks like a new die is in order but I'll call RCBS and see what they say.
1977. i can only imagine how many bazillion pieces of brass that ol boy has resized!!

Reactions
No - I am sizing with a Bonanza Co-Ax press and the way it operates it has a 'stopping point' with the ram that prevents cam over.
Ok. Another way to ask the question, are you making contact with the shell holder?

OP
RVTECH
Reactions
are you making contact with the shell holder?
Just barely - which is how a Co-Ax is suppose to be adjusted. I understand about this issue with other presses (such as my Rock Chucker) where there is nothing to
Limit the pressure on the die if it makes contact with it.
With the Co-Ax if the die makes anything more than just slight contact with the shell holder there will be other problems as well but the ram is designed to stop so there is essentially no pressure on the die.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Wildcat Mountain
    5.00 star(s)
    This is my family's and my selfs favorite spot to go for hand gun practice and just plinking...
    • Tccae708
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    What a great deal on transfers. Good guy and he makes it very easy. He had fast communication...
    • glorydays4ever
  • Cerberus Training Group
    5.00 star(s)
    Feedback from John Wells-Henderson, an avid shooter re: the 1-day Run the Gun Pistol class...
    • rutilate
  • Cerberus Training Group
    5.00 star(s)
    Here was a review from John Wells-Henderson, an experienced rifle shooter from the 1-day Run the...
    • rutilate
  • Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply
    5.00 star(s)
    I was in need of a carbine length gas tube and didn't want to drive all around town looking for...
    • arakboss

Staff online