JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think this was wrong. Nobody had to die in this situation. Death was avoidable.

Of course, I don't think it was right for him to steal something, but I don't believe the kid deserves to be shot over it.

Lethal force should be used when they have the means to use it against you.

In the end, both of these men made poor choices.

its a tough call...i think if you steal, you know you may get hurt or killed by gun owners. Its a chance your willing to take. And an event like this will send the right message out to badies. of course some people will be outraged because they will say oh well if you get robbed its too bad if the cops arent there to do the only "right" thing, your SOL. screw that. any person with the ability to steal has the ability to think. free will. he chose to go out and steal that night. im not talking about every situation like this, but this one...for sure.

its a tough call...i think if you steal, you know you may get hurt or killed by gun owners. Its a chance your willing to take. And an event like this will send the right message out to badies. of course some people will be outraged because they will say oh well if you get robbed its too bad if the cops arent there to do the only "right" thing, your SOL. screw that. any person with the ability to steal has the ability to think. free will. he chose to go out and steal that night. im not talking about every situation like this, but this one...for sure.

I'm not outraged that this happen. I think it was a misuse of a gun. I think guns should be used to defend one from bodily harm, or to save another person. I just don't believe that a car stereo is fair value for someone's live, no matter how much of a dirt bag they were.

Of course, that doesn't mean I believe stealing is OK. But in part, I think some people look for an excuse to kill. Not saying this is the case, but I sure have talked to people that just want to shoot someone, and are looking for a legal excuse to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is fair. Just don't shoot them unless they try to pull one on you.
Yeah, I agree completely that a person should be able to draw their weapon as a precautionary defense. You never know what a criminal will do and you have a right to feel threatened. You should not have to wait until it is too late to make a defensive move (and I see drawing a weapon in such instances as defensive and not offensive). Just do not shoot them unless there is no other option. Remember, drawing your weapon is your next to last resort. Shooting it is the last resort.

I've said many times I hope to get through this life having never pulled my pistol let alone shot it at anyone. It's been near 20 years now and I've never needed to pull a pistol from it's holster in a bad situation.

I feel the same. I never want to have a gun pointed at someone.

Doubt I'll ever have to point a gun at someone in my life.

I feel the same. I never want to have a gun pointed at someone.

Doubt I'll ever have to point a gun at someone in my life.
I have only pulled a gun one time in civilian life (against another human at least) and never want to have to do it again. Heck, I hardly even pulled a gun in my short LE career and only had to return fire a couple times in 8yrs of military service.

Quite frankly, I'm of the opinion that the "victim" got what he deserved and I don't feel sorry for the "victim" one stinkin' iota...... the monetary value of the crime should NOT be the issue, it should be the PRINCIPLE of the matter. Anyone who thieves should be afraid for their life... its called, "credible deterrent"... on a civillian level. :D

PS. They don't refer to the Mosin-Nagant rifle as "The Hammer of God" for nothing!! :s0155:

Exactly right. The victim here is the property owner. He served the rest of us and made a sacrifice. 9 months in the slam and a felony record. But sure makes me feel good about my Mosin M91 purchase! Love that thing!

This shooting happened only a few miles from my house. I am glad that he used deadly force to protect his property. If you guys have ever been around here cars are getting broken into all the time, hopefully this puts some fear in the heart of those kids when they start with somebodys car. I am just sorry for the guy who is being sent to jail, the guy who was gettin his stolen.

Last edited by a moderator:
This shooting happened only a few miles from my house. I am glad that he used deadly force to protect his property. If you guys have ever been around here cars are getting broken into all the time, hopefully this puts some fear in the heart of those kids when they start with somebodys car. I am just sorry for the guy who is being sent to jail, the guy who was gettin his stolen.

I think you're missing the point. There was no need for anyone to die!

Just because you have a gun, does not mean you also have the absolute right to shoot someone.

You shoot to protect your life, and others lives. That's it.

So what, his stereo got jacked. It sucks, it is wrong, and it shouldn't happen. But there's no need to kill over it. I think he got off easy.

I think you're missing the point. There was no need for anyone to die!

Just because you have a gun, does not mean you also have the absolute right to shoot someone.

You shoot to protect your life, and others lives. That's it.

So what, his stereo got jacked. It sucks, it is wrong, and it shouldn't happen. But there's no need to kill over it. I think he got off easy.

He got off very easy. Here's the key part as I see it:

From the balcony of his apartment in the 9700 block of Fifth Avenue Northeast, Sheets saw an unfamiliar car idling near the parking stall underneath the balcony where his Toyota Camry was parked. Three other men, Cooper said, were breaking into the vehicle.

Sheets returned to the balcony with a Mosin-Nagant bolt-action rifle, Cooper said, prompting the men in the car to flee as two of the apparent car prowlers, including Hernandez, remained near the apartment. Trying to get to the prowlers' car, Hernandez ran carrying a 27-pound subwoofer taken from Sheets' car.
He wasn't in mortal danger being on his balcony. What the crook did is wrong but if you have a high view of human life (as I do) shooting him over a woofer, from your balcony, is not right.

He got off very easy. Here's the key part as I see it:

He wasn't in mortal danger being on his balcony. What the crook did is wrong but if you have a high view of human life (as I do) shooting him over a woofer, from your balcony, is not right.

And you know that how? Please explain how you can say this with certainty!

Why are all you nay sayers purposely ignoring the part about he though the guy was reaching for a gun? No where in the statement does the guy (true victim), the sheriff, or the DA say they think he shot the criminal to recover his sub woofer!

I also have a high view of human life, the first of which would be my own in this situation.

And you know that how? Please explain how you can say this with certainty!

Why are all you nay sayers purposely ignoring the part about he though the guy was reaching for a gun? No where in the statement does the guy (true victim), the sheriff, or the DA say they think he shot the criminal to recover his sub woofer!

I also have a high view of human life, the first of which would be my own in this situation.

Because he was able to walk inside his home and grab his rifle. He could of stayed in there. If they had been stupid enough to come in and try to kick in his door, then I would say he should of shot the the guy, emptied the clip into the guy, reloaded, and then emptied that clip into him.

Because he was able to walk inside his home and grab his rifle. He could of stayed in there. If they had been stupid enough to come in and try to kick in his door, then I would say he should of shot the the guy, emptied the clip into the guy, reloaded, and then emptied that clip into him.
He did exactly what I would do if I walked out my door and saw a car with people in it and two guys trying to break into my car. Sorry but that doesn't add up to "shot him to recover his sub woofer" that adds up to got his gun to protect himself while trying to prevent being robbed. The shooting happened when he thought he was in danger from the criminal or at least that is as much as we know from the victim, the sheriff, and the DA's statements.

He did exactly what I would do if I walked out my door and saw a car with people in it and two guys trying to break into my car. Sorry but that doesn't add up to "shot him to recover his sub woofer" that adds up to got his gun to protect himself while trying to prevent being robbed. The shooting happened when he thought he was in danger from the criminal or at least that is as much as we know from the victim, the sheriff, and the DA's statements.

Again, it's reasonable to say that it could of been avoided. He didn't have his rifle with him initially. He walked back inside, grabbed it, (probably loaded it) and then came back out and shouted, "Freeze"

Now, up until the time when he walked back outside, I would have done the same thing.

He was trying to stop the robbery, not defend himself. Defending himself would of been staying inside where they are going to have a time trying to shoot him. He walked right outside clear into a potential line of fire.

I would argue that he was running on adrenaline, if he went outside and simply started to shoot them. But he told them to stop, which means he probably wasn't running on automatic.

If he had simply came out and started shooting them, then I would fully believe he felt entirely that he was in mortal danger. And in that case, he should of been let go.

This shooting happened only a few miles from my house. I am glad that he used deadly force to protect his property. If you guys have ever been around here cars are getting broken into all the time, hopefully this puts some fear in the heart of those kids when they start @#&$ing with somebodys car. I am just sorry for the guy who is being sent to jail, the guy who was gettin his $#!& stolen.
Disgusting. To use the term "kids" and then express how happy you are one was killed without need. Just disgusting. :mad:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top