JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Must Have (in my book/pantry)......

Canned food......
SPAM (low sodium variety and regular)
Corned Beef
Vienna Sausage
Chili w/beans
Corned Beef Hash
Peas
Green Beans
Corn
Beets
Carrots
Mix vegs
Tuna
Spaghetti Sauce
Refried Beans

Rotational Time Keepers.....
Dried Pasta
Saimin (Ramen)
Rice
Various Beans and Lentils
Spices (including salt/pepper/sugar/soy sauce)
All purpose flour and biscuit mix

Cooking oil

Coffee
Cream/milk (powder or canned)
Tea

It's not everything, though it will help to get me through. NOT to mention the MREs. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Dry beans are a better source for protein. Light and packable, you can put them in your water bottle to soak, and they don't have all the processed crap ingredients.
If I have to pick one, however, it would either be chicken or tuna with oil.
Jerky is also a good temporary choice due to shelf life after opening. High sodium content can be offset by higher than normal water intake, but still is something to avoid if possible.
Beans and rice with some salt and butter, or any kind of available fat. Covers your fat starch protein and fiber requirements just needs some greens to round it out. Tasty, satisfying, light, and cheap.

Not really long term. The fats in it go rancid over time and its more of a short term non refrigerated type food. The stuff you see in the store has a bunch of chemicals added to it to keep from rotting like nitrates.

Yes I have some Obertos beef jerky that I bought a few weeks ago that I am going to save. I also bought some Koren pork jerky from Costco a few years ago and I forgot about a bag that I had already opened months before. I opened the bag and it was rancid. I am not sure if you open the bag of Obertos beef jerky how long is it going be good for.

There is nothing wrong with Sodium, Western Medicine needs up update their information, they are wrong about this like many other things. Much like the food prymid BS.

Want to lower your blood preasure? Stop eating sugar, seed oils (Canola, Corn, Sunflower,ect - its in everything) and move around.

I eat very clean and eat a TON of salt, as salt is a performance enhancer. Blood pressure lowers now that I'm eating more.

I formerly had a dynamite recipe for traditional Pemmican. It lasted a long time and was meant to provide high quality protein and fat when on the trail, so to speak. I did substitute smallish blueberries for the Buffalo Berries. Started with home made dried jerky ground up into a powder. Added clarified suet, a little salt and the dried berries. Mix together and roll into small balls and let dry completely. Can wrap in paper, thin leather or even plastic wrap. Keep them out of direct sunlight and you're good to go. Hmmm. Wonder what's for dinner?

Real congee also has century eggs as well. I like the taste of the eggs it is way of preserving the eggs and we buy them and they do not need to be refrigerated. They are preserved duck eggs.

Century egg - Wikipedia

I've eaten a lot of strange things in my life, but have not gotten up the nerve to try one of those eggs. Have seen them at the markets.

Man that sounds Delicious. Any chance you still have that recipe?

That's pretty much what I got. :s0114: I have run across good pemmican recipes on the internet. You'll find something helpful there loooong before I could dig up my written recipe. LOL BTW I did get my original recipe from my old NA Uncle long ago. He did tell me, "Go on and make your own. Ain't like it's written down or anything". He was always such a kidder.

There is nothing wrong with Sodium, Western Medicine needs up update their information, they are wrong about this like many other things. Much like the food prymid BS.

Want to lower your blood preasure? Stop eating sugar, seed oils (Canola, Corn, Sunflower,ect - its in everything) and move around.

I eat very clean and eat a TON of salt, as salt is a performance enhancer. Blood pressure lowers now that I'm eating more.

It's not the salt as much as it's the sodium nitrates, nitrites and other chemicals used to cure/preserve canned meats. Not something I would want to rely on to live as it might end up killing me in the long run. Occasional breakfast treat sure but not daily consumption.

Pemmican
Here is how we use to:
Lean meat ; Elk, venison is good, beef too and lamb last for me but turkey and chicken too maybe for you. Dried, not cooked till crisp not chewy like jerky Smoked OK but keep it lght. Beat it till almost a powder. not tried it but a blender likely work great. Five pounds of meat about one pound dried, (good reason to scrape the ribs and bones of your game)
Tallow; Smoked and cured but unsweetened bacon drippings my preference, but beef good so is mutton or any well rendered tallow will work
The mix we preferred was about 5 to 1 meat to tallow.
We only made small amounts with dried berries and nuts they shorten the life of it and for me reduces the usefulness of it. If using fruit ours were about half the volume (before tallow) of fine chopped fruit maybe 2% fine chopped nuts. Some like honey too we didn't but I'm not partial to sweet pemmican. That said we used less sweet berries for the little we did use like lingonberry, cranberry, gooseberry and the like.
Long life to Pemmican is Meat and tallow, keep cool and lack of air. Fruit and nuts cut the life several years to many months..
Line pan /s with parchment or wax paper.
Mix whatever you use to a uniform consistency. Heat the tallow just enough to melt
Wash your hands
add tallow a little at a time, keep adding till it will hold together when squeezed into in a wad.
Only enough to hold it together.
Press in to the pans about ½ inch thick.
Chill till you can cut it into bars the size you want
We first wrapped it in wax paper then in tinfoil to keep the air off it then started using plastic wrap when it came out. A vacuum sealer would likely last for a decade.
Here is how we use it;
Eat it as is for good energy and light backpacking
If no fruit or nuts, Make a broth tea out of a little it to warm you up, slice it thin and fry it with vegetable, use it to make a fine soup or stew. Make meaty gravy with it for rice or noodles.

Yes I have some Obertos beef jerky that I bought a few weeks ago that I am going to save. I also bought some Koren pork jerky from Costco a few years ago and I forgot about a bag that I had already opened months before. I opened the bag and it was rancid. I am not sure if you open the bag of Obertos beef jerky how long is it going be good for.

Just a reminder to all that putting beef jerky packs in your freezer will increase the life of it many times over.

Canned ham......is that like pressed ham?

tenor.gif

I'd love to try this with crackers or on a sandwich but I'm diebetic so it makes things a little more complicate. I found the ham at BiMart and the beef at Grocery Outlet.

A769E4EB-3CE7-4997-A8C5-FA8EC861CEF9.jpeg

Went to Fred Meyer tonight and they had Del Monte cut beans in a can for 10 for $10 so I bought 10 cans. They also had packages of spaghetti for $0.79 each. They also had jars of Prego sauce 4 jars for $6.

The easiest way to get Spam these days is just go to Amazon and order a 12 pack of the Regular Spam. (Other versions ridiculously expensive) Will cost you $35 and free shipping for a dozen cans. Stores are often wiped out, and charge more than three bucks a can anyway...

Baked Canned hamn smothered in brown sugar and Dijon mustard is pretty good.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top