JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably about as bad healthwise, but vacuum-sealed packs with silica packets might buy you longer life. They moved to metal because it was lightweight and cheap, glass jars are better for long-life storage if properly prepared and proper canning technique is used.

Dry beans are a better source for protein. Light and packable, you can put them in your water bottle to soak, and they don't have all the processed crap ingredients.
If I have to pick one, however, it would either be chicken or tuna with oil.
Jerky is also a good temporary choice due to shelf life after opening. High sodium content can be offset by higher than normal water intake, but still is something to avoid if possible.

I broke down a bought a few more cans of Spam yesterday. Also bought dried black beans, canned peaches.
I bought some spaghetti for $0.99 per package and few bottles of pasta sauce also on sale. I did go to Fred Meyer last week and bought some canned vegetables for $.99 cents. Better than nothing and they are good until mid-2022. I also went to Costco and bought some Jiffy peanut butter, canned black beans, and a large bag of rice.

My better half has written down all of the expiration dates and what the cans contain so we eating canned goods that will expire in November of 2020. Probably won't go bad since we ate some soup that expired last year. The soup did not smell bad and we just heated it up and ate it.

They have the expensive Ox & Palm canned corned beef from Australia at Grocery Outlet but it was pretty costly for a small can. I bought a few cans of Spam for less money. If I has an unlimited budget then I would but I don't. :(

I've only ever had Bristol Canned Ham and Spam.
The canned ham tasted just like spam but had better price and it came with more meat!
Good stuff, I can eat canned meat right out of the can. Also good for cooking if you want, makes decent sandwiches, and even goes good on some crackers with cheese. Yeah both are salty but it doesn't bother me.

FYI for some reason spam is hard to find lately, other similar canned ham is not though.
I think it is being hoarded, most likely by people that never tried the other brands.(thank God, we can get better deal for same flavor)

I never tried it. Is it good? Any specific recipes?

Yeah I do. Simple things. Mix up some brown gravy mix and add in the roast beef and juices as the gravy heats. Ladle over bread or English Muffins. Very tasty IMHO. I have also used it with great results in stove top stir-abouts or use it with scrambled eggs and onions for morning meal. I have been known to eat it straight out of the can! Its that good to me. Oh, one more. MIx it up with mayo and it makes a nice sandwich spread. Let your creativity guide your food prep with this one. BTW- we do similar things with the canned chicken too. Best wishes and enjoy :)

Unfortunately I had some heart problems a few years ago, I try to watch my sodium intake. When you start reading the labels, it's astounding the amount of sodium used. So you just about have to make your own if you want to eat healthy. After a wind storm came through and we lost power for a couple of days, keeping the freezer full isn't the way to go. A local store has been advertising freeze dryers, looks good but a tad expensive. Never tried canning but it looks like the way to go. When we make our favourites, we usually make it in quantity, and break down the leftovers into meal size and freeze them. Looks like I can do the same by canning them, just a bit more work, but should be much more secure.

Yeah I do. Simple things. Mix up some brown gravy mix and add in the roast beef and juices as the gravy heats. Ladle over bread or English Muffins. Very tasty IMHO. I have also used it with great results in stove top stir-abouts or use it with scrambled eggs and onions for morning meal. I have been known to eat it straight out of the can! Its that good to me. Oh, one more. MIx it up with mayo and it makes a nice sandwich spread. Let your creativity guide your food prep with this one. BTW- we do similar things with the canned chicken too. Best wishes and enjoy :)

Thanks for the tips! Now I have to try some of this stuff. I like fried spam with eggs, and it's pretty good with teriyaki sauce and rice. But this sounds a lot more versatile.

Unfortunately all canned meats have a lot of salt. i did find some low sodium Spam at Costco but it has a fairly long shelf life so I am keeping it if there is going to be a food shortage. I also have some cans of tuna and pink salmon as well. Low sodium Spam has 25% less salt so it still salty IMHO.

Sodium intake is an issue, but in a shortage / survival situation it's rather low on the priority list for me.

I used a lot of canned meats for quick easy lunches and adjust my salt intake accordingly. It's tough to do as there us salt in about everything out there, but it can be done.

What about meat like jerky? Is there a way to keep it fresh for long periods of time? I know it has high salt content but it seems that it's probably better for you than canned meat…
Not really long term. The fats in it go rancid over time and its more of a short term non refrigerated type food. The stuff you see in the store has a bunch of chemicals added to it to keep from rotting like nitrates.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top