JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello and Happy Thursday :)

I was perusing the local Cabelas last week and spied a Canik TP9SFX in the showcase. I've seen mostly good things on the internet about them, so I let my curiosity get the jump on my logic and toted it home. I finally got around to field stripping it this morning and something a little odd jumped out at me when I removed the barrel. I'm accustomed to hearing the high pitched "ring" the hardened steel of a slide makes as my shaky old hands rattle the barrel out of it, but instead I was greeted with more of a dull "thunk". Just to confirm, I field stripped several other pistols from various manufacturers and got the "ring" I expected.
Maybe it's just me being persnickity, but something doesn't seem right. I'm more than a little curious about the material and manufacturing processes that went into producing that slide. My Googling skills are admittely deficient and I am hoping one or more of you fine folks could point me in the right direction to find the information...

I found on their website that the slides are "forged from a single piece of military 4140 steel".

Last Edited:
May be off the mark...
But as a toolmake I get what your saying.
As with a grinding wheel we expect to hear the RING also. If not we don't use it, because there is a crack in it we can't see.

Anything can happen during the Mfg process, have it checked at a welding shop they can use a spray Magna Flux and see a crack where the eye can not. Or x ray it costly!

The welding shop supply house can also sell you the 2 cans and you can go home and check it yourself.

Do you have any oher barrels that are coated to ring test? Is the 1st question. I'm not sure if this is deadening the RING your looking for.

A quick call industrial welding/ praxAir could answer that question or the cerakote outfit that did it.

A painted surface magna flux will work On but I can not say anything about the cerakote process.... sorry.

Do you have any oher barrels that are coated to ring test? Is the 1st question. I'm not sure if this is deadening the RING your looking for.

A quick call industrial welding/ praxAir could answer that question or the cerakote outfit that did it.

A painted surface magna flux will work On but I can not say anything about the cerakote process.... sorry.

The only other Cerakoted slide I have is a Springfield 1911 slide, and it rings like a bell.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews