JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DO NOT SHOOT LEAD IN YOUR GLOCK/ IY WILLLLLLLLLLL BLOW UP I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN AT THE ALBANY GUN RANGE TWICE

Lead or an "overload". I've seen not just Glocks succumb to the latter on a fairly regular basis. Happens a lot among those that use teeny powder charges and then get a double charge that doesn't spill out of the case so they just jamb a bullet on top. For those it wouldn't matter what kind of barrel or how much lead was in it.

That's a ridiculous statement.

The only way it will build up without you knowing it is if you're stupid enough to never inspect your barrel, or too stupid to clean the barrel when fouling is evident . Barrel leading is very easy to see, especially in a polygonal barrel.

I just finished a range session where I fired 700 rounds of lead bullets through my H&K P2000 (which also has polygonal barrel rifling), inspecting the barrel every 200 rounds as I work up a custom load for this pistol. After the range session, a shot of Hornady One Shot through the barrel and three passes with a bore snake and the barrel is like new.

If you're worried about your Glock warranty, buy an aftermarket barrel, but don't shoot reloads through it, that will void your warranty too.

There is a method for safely shooting lead through a polygonal barrel and it's not rocket science. Don't believe anyone that says it can't be done safely.

I have heard all this before.. I have also seen blown up Glocks due to firing lead that built up unseen and caused over pressure. The polygonal barrel in unique and has it's own issues. These posts will go on forever on many forums with all sorts of goofy advice (the factory says NO and so do the real experts) and it's your hands, eyes and such.. pick yer poison and better hope you don't have to eat your words and some plastic and metal, too. For me I bought $130 worth of insurance called a Lone Wolf barrel and no worries

I have also seen blown up Glocks due to firing lead that built up unseen and caused over pressure.

Just like the old farmer told his young son, "Don't eat that Elmer, its Horse$#!&". Lead does not build up "Unseen". If the shooter can't see it, chances are they are ignorant of what leading in a barrel looks like or they are so blind they have trouble seeing the target.

I'd be more inclined to believe that those who blow up their Glocks are more inclined to blame it on "Lead" rather than a double load of Titegroup. One way they get to blame the pistol/barrel and the other they'd have to take responsibility for themselves.

If one wants to see "Leading", just take a look in any .357 that's had hot lead loads run through it. Lead is very visible.

I have heard all this before.. I have also seen blown up Glocks due to firing lead that built up unseen and caused over pressure. The polygonal barrel in unique and has it's own issues. These posts will go on forever on many forums with all sorts of goofy advice (the factory says NO and so do the real experts) and it's your hands, eyes and such.. pick yer poison and better hope you don't have to eat your words and some plastic and metal, too. For me I bought $130 worth of insurance called a Lone Wolf barrel and no worries

If you think that merely changing to a barrel with conventional rifling with solve overpressure issues due to barrel leading, you don't understand the mechanism of lead (or copper) fouling. It can happen to any barrel (and does). If you have excessive fouling, it WILL result in overpressure in ANY barrel, regardless of what type of ammo (lead or jacketed) is being used. Your $130 Lone Wolf "insurance" is false security if you think it's a cure for barrel fouling. I'll stick to common sense, sound engineering, and knowledge of the issue to protect me from
having to eat my words (or metal or plastic).

Why is it that Glock is the only manufacturer that warns against the use of lead? H&K and Kahr don't and they use polygonal rifling in their barrels too. Things that make you go "hmmm."

Why is it that Glock is the only manufacturer that warns against the use of lead? H&K and Kahr don't and they use polygonal rifling in their barrels too. Things that make you go "hmmm."

Probably because they sell most of their firearms to PD's and they're afraid that they'll shoot a bunch of lead in training, buying cheap reloads or loading their own like almost all PD's used to do. They also know how "cleaning" can be an issue with training weapons.

Something that's overlooked in this discussion and that's the fact that ALL MANUFACTURER's warn against the use of RELOADS. Almost all the lead that's shot through semi's is on top of a reload.

Probably because they sell most of their firearms to PD's and they're afraid that they'll shoot a bunch of lead in training, buying cheap reloads or loading their own like almost all PD's used to do. They also know how "cleaning" can be an issue with training weapons.

Something that's overlooked in this discussion and that's the fact that ALL MANUFACTURER's warn against the use of RELOADS. Almost all the lead that's shot through semi's is on top of a reload.

I've never heard of a law enforcement agency that used lead or reloads for practice ammo...for the same reason the manufacturers restrict their use. It's all about liability.

The caution against reloads is because the firearms mfr has no control over the type of cartridge being fired...composition, powder, primers, and most importantly the charge. An overly hot cartridge or an accidental double charge can result in the destruction of the firearm through no fault of the manufacturer. This makes perfect sense as far as liability is concerned. The restriction regarding lead could be similarly argued, but IMO it's not as clear cut as the restrictions over reloads.

I've never heard of a law enforcement agency that used lead or reloads for practice ammo...

That would reveal you as a "youngster". At one time police ranges loaded their own for practice and used nothing but lead bullets. They were loading 45acp and 38 spl. At least two Snohomish County Police agencies loaded their own, one with a Star progressive press and the other with an automatic in-line press.

The practice ended primarily because the gap in ammo costs to the agencies closed and it was no longer necessary to load their own to save.

That would reveal you as a "youngster". At one time police ranges loaded their own for practice and used nothing but lead bullets. They were loading 45acp and 38 spl. At least two Snohomish County Police agencies loaded their own, one with a Star progressive press and the other with an automatic in-line press.

The practice ended primarily because the gap in ammo costs to the agencies closed and it was no longer necessary to load their own to save.

I stand corrected then Sir...and I haven't been called a youngster in about 30 years (I'm 48), so I'll take that as a compliment.

I stand corrected then Sir...and I haven't been called a youngster in about 30 years (I'm 48), so I'll take that as a compliment.

That's about the time PD's discovered that "six shooters" were about 1/2 of what the other guy had in his gun.

BTW, with "Department Reloading" it's not a case of liability but cost. The cost of maintaining the equipment as well as someone "qualified" to run it is offset by their getting ammo cheaper, also not having to pay the excise tax on it. That way it's one less union member and no retirement to fund.

As for your age, that's just about the age of my Son with a grandson about 20 years behind him. That makes me a "Card Carrying Old Fart";)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top