JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm sure this has been covered before But I can't find the thread

I joined a gun club and I'm being told I can only shoot copper washed ammo,
aka lead ,no copper jacketed ammo period.(I can't find it to purchase either )

'My question is can I shoot lead thru my glock without harming the barrel?
I heard or read somewhere you can't without causing damage to the glock berrel
any and all reply's will be great thanks all

It is highly suggest not to shoot lead though a Polygonal Rifled Barrel, Polygonal rifling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Glock uses it.

As far as I am aware there is no copper washed centerfire bullets, but there are plated and jacketed. Copper wash is not more then just a lead bullet.

Lead will not harm your barrel at all but can create build up which can lead to excessive pressures, see link above. I am sure many people do it but if you do something that is against all suggestions only one person to blame when bad things happen.

I agree. I was present when a friends Glock blew up (literally straight up) in his hand from lead fowling of the Polygonal Barrel. When I turned and looked at him, he was left holding only the lower. The barrel split in half, knocking the upper away from the lower. Luckily they design it to blow up and not back.

If you don't push them to fast your barrel shouldn't lead up. If it does, clean it. Or like madmax stated, get a aftermarket non polygonal barrel if your worried about it. I would like to know how many rounds had been down that barrel that blew up since the last time it had a good cleaning. Also how fast he was pushing them.

Check out some of the Pistol Competition forums. Lots of lead going through Glock Barrels. Just like the old .357's with hot loads, you just have to clean the bore when it starts to lead up. If one is pushing the limit for the caliber, it will be exceeded far quicker with soft lead bullets. Good hard cast, properly lubed, lead bullets will shoot just as good as a jacketed round. Lead or Copper, they both have to be cleaned out.

FWIW, one of the stated advantages of polygonal rifling is the better seal around the bullet and reduced fouling. Hot powder gases escaping around the bullet are the primary cause of leading.

I've shot quite a bit of hardcast lead through numerous polygonal barrels (Glocks and HKs). Don't sweat it.

I clean my (centerfire) guns every time I shoot them. I suppose if you let it go for awhile it could eventually be a problem.

Perhaps reading this will clear up some confusion:
The Gun Zone -- Glock kB! FAQ Endnotes v1.35
The set back issue of 1/10 of an inch raises the pressure in the case above safe pressures. Some lead bullet profiles combined with lubed lead can be forced back into the case on the first loading, this condition combined with the ability of the Glock to fire out of battery can KB the gun.

Jim

It is highly suggest not to shoot lead though a Polygonal Rifled Barrel, Polygonal rifling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Glock uses it.

As far as I am aware there is no copper washed centerfire bullets, but there are plated and jacketed. Copper wash is not more then just a lead bullet.

Lead will not harm your barrel at all but can create build up which can lead to excessive pressures, see link above. I am sure many people do it but if you do something that is against all suggestions only one person to blame when bad things happen.

First off, I don't consider Wikipedia (or "wiki" anything for that matter) a reliable reference source.

That being said, here is an excerpt from the same wikipedia page you refer to:

"A number of advantages are claimed by the supporters of polygonal rifling. These include:

- Not compromising the barrel's thickness in the area of each groove as with traditional rifling.
- Providing a better gas seal around the projectile as polygonal bores tend to have a slightly smaller bore area, which translates into more efficient use of the combustion gases trapped behind the bullet,[5] slightly greater (consistency in) muzzle velocities and slightly increased accuracy.[6]
- Less bullet deformation, resulting in reduced drag on the bullet when traveling through the barrel which helps to increase muzzle velocity.
- Reduced buildup of copper or lead within the barrel which results in easier maintenance characteristics.
- Prolonged barrel life."

Better gas seal, and reduced lead and copper buildup seem to contradict the notion that lead is bad for polygonal rifling.

Here's my experience: Other than the occasional JHP's shot to evaluate SD ammo, I haven't shot jacketed bullets in any of my pistols since shortly after I began to reload my own ammo (lead bullets cost about half of what jacketed bullets cost). That includes my G19, H&K P30, H&K P2000 and my Kahr K40, all of which utilize polygonal rifling. I have optimized my loads such that I don't experience barrel leading in any of my pistols and I clean them after each range session as part of my normal routine. Barrel leading in a conventionally rifled barrel will also increase pressures, so the cautions apply to any barrel type.

Bottom line...I wouldn't advise anyone shoot lead through any barrel until they understand the mechanics of bullet obturation and barrel leading; however, lead can be safely fired in any barrel as long as the shooter/reloader understands how to identify when there is a problem, and how to correct/minimize its effects.

As I under stood the warning, copper washed bullets were just as bad in a polygonal barrel as plain lead, and Glock will void the warranty if they know you shot either one of them in your Glock. So, the suggestion above to purchase an after-market rifled barrel would seem to be a good idea with one caveat. I read in another forum that many people who use after-market rifeled barrels in Glocks have problems with things like poor extraction, gun not going into battery, and a couple of other problems I cannot remember now, so if you can afford to purchase the proper bullets for your barrel, that would be the best bet. If you cannot afford them, make sure you clean your barrel often and well. If you do experience leading in your barrel, there is a cleaning rod made especially to remove it. It is called a Lewis Lead Removal tool. I think you can find it online.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy shooting your Glock.

Glock will void the warranty if they know you shot either one of them in your Glock.

They'll do the same if they find out you were shooting reloads therefore the issue's moot.

So, the suggestion above to purchase an after-market rifled barrel would seem to be a good idea with one caveat. I read in another forum that many people who use after-market rifeled barrels in Glocks have problems with things like poor extraction, gun not going into battery, and a couple of other problems I cannot remember now,

Many of the aftermarket barrels manufacturers highly recommend "gunsmith installation recommeded". Usually when there are problems, this suggestion was ignored.

Don't do it.. the lead can build up and you won't even see it and then comes the KABOOM

Do like I did and pony up $120 or so for an aftermarket barrel like a Lone Wolf. The added benefit is I bought an extended threaded so when I get NFA suppressors I am set

Don't do it.. the lead can build up and you won't even see it and then comes the KABOOM

That's a ridiculous statement.

The only way it will build up without you knowing it is if you're stupid enough to never inspect your barrel, or too stupid to clean the barrel when fouling is evident . Barrel leading is very easy to see, especially in a polygonal barrel.

I just finished a range session where I fired 700 rounds of lead bullets through my H&K P2000 (which also has polygonal barrel rifling), inspecting the barrel every 200 rounds as I work up a custom load for this pistol. After the range session, a shot of Hornady One Shot through the barrel and three passes with a bore snake and the barrel is like new.

If you're worried about your Glock warranty, buy an aftermarket barrel, but don't shoot reloads through it, that will void your warranty too.

There is a method for safely shooting lead through a polygonal barrel and it's not rocket science. Don't believe anyone that says it can't be done safely.

I know people who shoot lead from glocks without problems. I shoot a M&P .40, cast and load my own ammo. After I shoot a few hundred rounds I put a mag of lacketed through it and most of the lead is gone. I also clean with these brushes. Order them through Bi-Mart, ask to see the all sports catalog. You'll get 2 for the same price as what brownells cost. TORNADO BRUSHES - Brownells

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top