JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wear ear protection 100% of the time when shooting, I also have tinnitus so try and have it muffled as good as possible. That also makes it very hard to hear anything around me at all with ears on. Sounds like people talking under water.

I am safe and watch my surrounding well .

Question I have is two fold.

1. I have seen and tried the electronics but have heard stories of them failing and a person getting a full sound wave. I don't want to be shooting the 357, AK, or the 7mm and have that happen with the hearing issues I need to know it will work each time.

2. I have concerns that if I get in a situation I will be deaf when its over, anyone know of any good quick portable ears ? I have this problem hearing because of these situations and know how bad it can get.

I have been shooting over 40 years of my life and want to be able to hear a few more decades at-least.

Thanks

I use electronic hearing protection - I have several pairs of the Howard Leight Impact Sport. They work great. Outdoors at the range, it's all I use since the layout of the range lets sound dissipate a bit. Even if they failed, I wouldn't be too concerned. Under cover, using a large caliber rifle, I may be tempted to plug too, just to be safe. At an indoor range, I'm always plugged under the muffs, just so darn loud.

I've not had any failures, nor have I met anyone with a failure. Honestly, the most likely failure is a battery failure, which would simply leave you without the amplified outside sound. Having a failure in the circuitry that fails to mute the shot, I don't know how common that would be, but I tend to leave the volume low anyway, so I'm not sure that it would be as bad as a completely unmuffled shot.

I too have tinnitus and I only use electronic also. I plug and wrapped with the electronics only when shooting the "big boys".

I have never heard of electronic ones failing either. I am sure there is going to be someone that says they have, I am just saying that have never.

As etrain said, more than likely if they fail they will fail in an "off" condition and not a full-volume condition. Not too many electronic devices fail in full-volume (or full-power) condition.

If they ever did fail you'd just end up with a plain-old set of hearing protectors. If it were still too loud after a failure you should have plenty of time to rip them off, stick your fingers in your ears, and bail to a quieter place. (Of course after clearing your firearm ;) )

I have a set of the "cheap" $50 dollar set of the Howard Leight style and a set of the "more expensive" $100 set of Cabela's. Both are equal to me. But put them on someone with significantly better hearing than me (us folks with tinnitus) and they may tell you a different story.

To answer your question, spend the $50-$100 and you can't go wrong. Of course, you can always spend more if you to. I don't want to suggest to anyone how much to spend. It is your money and only you know your finances.

Good shooting! :s0145:

Thanks ...........;)

Sorry, I know Google was a quick and "dirty" way of answering your question, but I would think that just may be available just about anywhere? Cabela's, Sportsman's, maybe Bi-Mart, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer..... any place that has an outdoor/sporting section?

Sorry, I know Google was a quick and "dirty" way of answering your question, but I would think that just may be available just about anywhere? Cabela's, Sportsman's, maybe Bi-Mart, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer..... any place that has an outdoor/sporting section?

NP, appreciate it..........I had read reviews at Cabelas too on some that failed so wanted to get some solid advice on a direction to look at. But the search you gave showed allot more then I was thinking as well its all good.

The reviews probably did show/state that some failed. But not failed blaring loud. As you probably know, anything mass produced is going to have a certain failure rate. The failures could have been for any reason. My guess is that every one failed "off".

I purchased an electronic device and it was draining batteries in a matter of a couple days - when they should have lasted months. Took it back and exchanged it for an exact same thing. Been working great ever since.

:s0155:

Howard Leight Impact sport

Pros, great hearing protection, great speech and surroundings hearing, comfortable, price

Cons, little warm for hot days, they bang on AR stocks, like all muffs there big and bulky

I'm pushing pretty hard at deaf too (Rock&Roll and Artillery) I use SureFire EarPro Sonic Defenders ear plugs under Howard Leight electronic muffs. The plugs are generally plenty of protection, they are however pricy at about $20 per pair. I've used these for about 11/2yrs they are cleanable and come with spare parts.
The HL's on top and there is no problem no matter the caliber next door! I've never had an issue with the HL's.

PS: To be more clear, I'm working on 1.5yrs with the same pair of SureFire plugs!:D

Last Edited:
These are what I just got and they are great.Haven't had any problems et but only had them for a month.
I'll tell you if you turn them up you can hear everything.I turn them down to where I can just here voices in my hea...... at the range. I turned them up the other day and could here the rocks under my feet very well
I think they are worth the 40 bucks to try. Turn them off and try them. Then turn them on low for a bit .You know try them gradually

One thing to look at - fitment.
They have to fit - and facial hair can interfere, as can hats and glasses.

Also, with rifles especially, or while shooting prone, it is very easy to have one of the muffs shift off your ear.

I will "double" when shooting the loud guns - foam ear plugs & muffs.
I also use Howard Leight, but mine are non-electronic.

Another vote for the Howard Leight electronic muffs. Just got mine (from Amazon, same ones that are linked). Had an opportunity to shoot a Barrett .50 cal wearing them.....quite impressive hearing protection. For $40.00...?? Question answered, IMHO.....really easy to recommend.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top