JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, after a very long wait I was able to pick up my new suppressor yesterday. I mounted the quick detach muzzle device this morning and attempted to attach the suppressor. It bottomed out on the end of the handguard. It's an Aero Precision 300 blk pistol upper with a 8.5" barrel. I have the tools and capabilities to cut it square but not sure how to refinish the exposed metal remaining after cutting it's a very nice and expensive gun and I don't really want to cut it. I'm thinking if I could find a machined spacer to slip between the muzzle device and barrel it would work as I temporarily used a crush washer and fired it (wasn't willing to wait, LOL). The spacer would only need to be as thick as a crush washer used for muzzle devices but I'm concerned about the added "leverage" of it not being seated up against the barrel. I'll post pics tomorrow if needed.

many times i thought about putting a handguard thru a band saw for this reason then just painting the raw metal afterwards. but...i always ended up buying a shorter handguard.

many times i thought about putting a handguard thru a band saw for this reason then just painting the raw metal afterwards. but...i always ended up buying a shorter handguard.
That was my thought but it's a very nice and matching unit. The next size shorter is at least two inches shorter. I'm leaning towards going to the hardware store and locating a spacer.

The AAC muzzle device (51 tooth type) has recessed threads (covers the barrel end) so I'd have to put something between the two pieces or cut the hand guard.

It is a free float handguard that is only secured at the barrel nut, and not a forward retainer ring like a standard A.R. handguard is, right?

Yes, it's got Aeros new proprietary barrel but nut looks like a standard free float type, just a low profile (skinny)

The AAC muzzle device (51 tooth type) has recessed threads (covers the barrel end) so I'd have to put something between the two pieces or cut the hand guard.
also, might wanna do some research i think some of those AAC muzzle devices seat on the crown and some of them seat on the shoulder. could be wrong but thought i remember reading something like that.

theres other options on there also.
I'll post some pics tomorrow, the device has the threads recessed where I'd have to machine it off to be able to use a nut as the nut would be covered by the device. Hopefully that makes sense, I'm not always the best at explaining things.

AD7D6756-5C9D-4E5A-93B9-655E3B6CB350.jpeg
Here you can see how it covers the end of the barrel before it engages the threads.

That would work, I'm possibly being too overly concerned about the final alignment as to avoid any baffle strikes on a new toy. Don't want to have to wait for repairs. I'm thinking a machine spacer would hold truer than stamped washers.

I hacked the handguard on my 10.5" 300 blk. Twice! Once when converting it over from a longer 5.56 barrel, and then again for the same reason as you.

Whole gun got rattle canned so wasn't worried about the exposed metal.

Might want to look into something called "aluminum black"

Please do not fire again with a crush washer. That is a recipe to kill your can do to misalignment.

I have not tried this, but seems like any competent machinist should be able to make a short barrel extension to add the required length, thread onto the barrel and provide a mount for the suppressor. Sure alignment is critical, but easily doable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top