Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can I give my uncle in WA a gun?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by user, Apr 9, 2014.

1. user

user Corvallis, OR Member

I built a sweet little 1911 for my uncle in WA. I'm an OR resident. Is it legal if I give it to him? What if my aunt makes me cookies?

2. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Yes, if you go through an FFL in Washington.

3. user

But I'm going to have my aunt make me some cookies. Lol

4. solv3nt

Mmmmm.... Coooooookies.....

5. solv3nt

I believe that there's an FFL in Vancouver that will do the transfer fr $10. In Washington, the individual doesn't pay for the background check like Oregon, so it's much cheaper for transfers.

6. user

Is there a wait on pistols in WA?

7. Cheby

Cheby Portland, OR Active Member

8. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

I think it is 3 days (might be 5) unless you have your CPL, then you can walk out as soon as the background check and paperwork clear. You could check out the RCW, don't remember which section that is in: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=9.41

You could loan it to him, long term with no FFL, but if it a permanent transfer you need to.

9. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

And that use tax really pisses me off. Especially on second, third, fourth hand guns. They tax it every step of the way. Same with cars, it's really messed up. Another reason to fight tooth and nail against background checks and registrations, so they can't tax us more.

10. user

We both have our concealed he has CPL I have CHL.
    Because "pistol" is politically incorrect. Lol
    Thanks for the helps guy's!

11. user

Wow I just read that use tax. What BS!!! I'll make a bill of sale up for $0.01. That way WA can suck it. I'm not paying tax on a gun this expensive. image.jpg It's a Kimber Compact Custom. A series 70. 4" barrel, officer grip, steel frame. I've only seen one other for $1100. And it had so many rounds down is it needed a new barrel.

12. user

I really appreciate that info bigstick! If I went to transfer this and didn't have that bill of sale, it would be really awkward telling them I'm just going to let him borrow it until I put his old balls in a home! Lmao

13. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Those cookies in WA, wouldn't contain a little green? You know, for your glaucoma or something?

'Cause then you get into some interesting convolutions

14. user

Lol funny you say that! I do have cancer (I'm ok though, stem cell transplant) and still that thought had never crossed my mind. Even with all the crap I've dealt with I'm not into that sort of thing. D.A.R.E. worked for me, I'll pass on green cookies.

15. Cheby

I am afraid the bill of sale can not be for $0.01:
    Quote:
    "If for whatever reason, the Washington dealer is ... unable to obtain the original purchase price, the current fair market value of the firearm should be used. (RCW 82.12.010) Current fair market values may be determined by the insured value, a recent appraisal, or a reliable resource such as a respected publisher of gun values. (Values are subject to audit verification.)"

16. user

o_O I should really have read that all the way through.
    I guess he can pay for the transfer.
    Does anyone know how much the tax is?

17. Cheby

The use tax rate is the same as the sales tax rate as I understand

18. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly you built a gun for you uncle to use, right?

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
    A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Why not just loan the 1911 to your uncle?
    For indefinitely
    Perfectly legal

20. FourTeeFive

FourTeeFive PNW Washington State Active Member

Delete