JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Id be most converned about being pulled over for a taillight out and the cop asking if you have any guns in the car and not knowing the law.

It seems like Washington law where it is legal to conceal carry while doing outdoor recreation. If you carry concealed how does anyone know? 70yrs old and have been asked once by le if I had a firearm and that was only because he saw my cpl when I opened my wallet to get drivers license. Except for the jackass canadien border patrol who saw my cpl when he went through my wallet. Cpl is now buried in my wallet.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the particulars myself as I've noticed for decades various signs posted at various trailheads including:
- Firearms not allowed.
- No hunting.
- No target shooting.

Nothing specific about concealed carry in any of those instances, though I suspect the first one addresses that. As a frequent day hiker, mountain biker, kayaker and fisherman, I should probably start memorizing the minutiae regarding which signs are posted where (Federal land, State, Municipal, parks, campgrounds, etc.). May be some simple and consistent theme running through all of this, but I doubt it.

Another enthusiastic vote here for Constitutional Carry.

Last Edited:
I'm a bit fuzzy on the particulars myself as I've noticed for decades various signs posted at various trailheads including:
- Firearms not allowed.
- No hunting.
- No target shooting.

Nothing specific about concealed carry in any of those instances, though I suspect the first one addresses that. As an avid day hiker and mountain biker, I should probably start memorizing the minutiae regarding which signs are posted on Federal land, State, Municipal, campgrounds, etc. May be some simple and consistent theme running through all of this, but I doubt it.

Those signs are only valid on private land.

There are locations that are off limit to shooting, but they cant restrict lawful carry except in a federal building like a ranger office. Althouth im not certain about some national monuments...

Yup, even CHLs.... When you really look into it theres no reason for them.

- Firearms not allowed.
- No hunting.
- No target shooting.

Nothing specific about concealed carry in any of those instances, though I suspect the first one addresses that. As a frequent day hiker, mountain biker, kayaker and fisherman, I should probably start memorizing the minutiae regarding which signs are posted where (Federal land, State, Municipal, parks, campgrounds, etc.). May be some simple and consistent theme running through all of this, but I doubt it.

Once again, laws and politicians making criminals (technically) out of regular folk while completely failing to address real crime.

I don't know if Oregon laws mirror Washington law but in WA some trail heads and parks have the "NO WEAPONS, NO SHOOTING, AND NO HUNTING" signs but the weapons pertain to nonfirearm weapons. There are almost no public lands in WA that you can't carry a firearm and be ok under law. When you see the "NO GUNS" sign with the circle and gun picture crossed out there is usually a state wac number in very small print under it that exempts cpl holders. Some signs have not been updated but on state and local government facilities have no authority with a few exceptions, schools and courtrooms for example. It can be confusing sometimes as those posting the signs sometimes don't know the law. Our local public hospital finally changed their no gun signs to include the wac cpl exemption number but of course a lot of people don't know what it means and the administrators like it that way.

Here's the kicker, I found yesterday that if one does not make it to the intended shooting range this law does not apply to them. AKA, if you need to draw in self defense and never make it to the range you would have been illegally carrying. Same applies to fishing and hunting. The individual could have had all intention of performing the activity, but if they never actually get there this law is not applicable. That's what I found when I looked it up on the state legislature site.
Get a CHL, join the cool kids club.

(a)Members of any club or organization, for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets upon the established target ranges, whether public or private, while such members are using any of the firearms referred to in ORS 166.250 (Unlawful possession of firearms) upon such target ranges, or while going to and from such ranges.

(b)Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

It seems to me that so long as you can show you were en route to a destination the law is pretty clear.

E

If many here dont know about it i wouldnt count on many LEO knowing about it either...
Its my understanding it doesnt include swinging by the store to grab X on the way home.... Becomes a huge grey area.

Most of our laws in Oregon are written ambiguous so the courts can have a crack at them with case law. Unfortunately it always takes someone to get into trouble first and then go to court and get some case law surrounding the issue before the issue becomes more clear in its intent and application. In this case I would say that if on your way to and from a hunting or fishing expedition it would be customary to stop and get supplies or stop to get something to eat on the way back, then that's just part of the expedition. I am not a lawyer though, so you'll have to make up your mind on that.

Most of our laws in Oregon are written ambiguous so the courts can have a crack at them with case law. Unfortunately it always takes someone to get into trouble first and then go to court and get some case law surrounding the issue before the issue becomes more clear in its intent and application.
Yup, but the problem with that is it only affects the good guys wanting to do the right thing.

My hunch is this exception to the concealed probibition was an anti-gun compromise when they passed the law years ago.

While the statute is clear about carrying while going to or from hunting and fishing, I would not risk it. Why take the chance that some LEO might arrest you and some anti gun prosecutor might try and convict you on a technicality? Not worth taking that risk. IMHO.

If you are out in the woods and not within any of the city boundaries that ban open carry of a loaded firearm for those who do not have a CHL, you could open carry. Then unload it and put it in the trunk for the ride home. Or, better yet, get your CHL and don't worry about it any more.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews