JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have a family member coming up from California and he would like to buy a rifle from a FFL. What I want to know is it legal? I understand that the gun has to be Caliifornia legal but my question is can they buy it if it is a legal gun to own in California? He has a house here in Oregon but his licence is Californian.

As a California resident one can not buy (and take possession - can buy and have it shipped to FFL) any firearm in Oregon. Federal law says that one can purchase a long gun in another state as long as both states are okay with that. California is not okay with that. One major exception is persons who possess C&R license, those can purchase any C&R firearms regardless whether they are legal in CA or not (importing them there is another issue).

Having a house in Oregon also doesn't qualify the person as Oregon resident, neither it makes them domiciled in Oregon. There is some more stuff on that in another thread.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/88507-dual-resident-id.html

They can buy the rifle in Oregon but it would have to be shipped to a FFL in California to handle the transfer after your family member goes back to California. The Oregon FFL would have to register with California's California Firearms Licensee Check System (CFLC) CFLC Overview - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General so they can obtain authorization before shipping the firearm to the California FFL. California tries to make the CFLC process as painless as possible, it is free and can be done online, but many non-California FFL's don't want to participate.

There is a workaround for that. Purchase the firearm from a private person, who can then ship it directly to a California FFL.

Only if the gun is on CommieForina's Approved List.

OP questioned ability to purchase a rifle. Approved List applies to handguns only. For handgun purchases that are not on the approved list they can be sent to one of several FFL's that perform "single shot" conversion. That is a loophole to get around the approved list.

OP questioned ability to purchase a rifle. Approved List applies to handguns only. For handgun purchases that are not on the approved list they can be sent to one of several FFL's that perform "single shot" conversion. That is a loophole to get around the approved list.

However there is a long list of semi auto rifles and shotguns that also cannot be imported into commiefornia

That list is over 20 years old. Very few modern things (from companies like Colt) might fall into prohibited category. Any manufacturer that hasn't been around for that long would not be there at all.

Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am fully aware of the list since I was an activist with the main grassroots group in Sacramento who fought it in 1989, but it is extremely easy for them to add to it at will, and they will

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top