JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Elk hunting this weekend in the Gifford Pinchot, and almost every time I'm in a particular area of the GPNF, I see these 2 large white panel vans with no windows driven by two younger Hispanic guys. I see this pair of vans (sometimes there is a third) in this area all the time. Some other hunters I've talked to in the area about them seem to think they're related to a drug grow or something similar.... Maybe a camp AR is in my future.....

This. Kind of shocked people on this forum think having a long gun at camp is ridiculous/overkill. Yes, it's a remote area, not a camp ground with kids. Out there, it's a different world than the city.

This. Kind of shocked people on this forum think having a long gun at camp is ridiculous/overkill. Yes, it's a remote area, not a camp ground with kids. Out there, it's a different world than the city.

The biggest reason to have more gun is if you are camping anywhere near someone's money. Whether is illegal grows, someone's favorite mushroom area, etc. You might not know it, and the bad guy just assumes you're the competition.

Last Edited:
Yea usually much more content and quiet. Do you have any experiences that convince you the woods are more 'dangerous' than 'The City' ?

Yes, including having a guy pull a gun on me by some tweaker, and as I said, my friend had similar experiences where he was glad he had his AK. Did you read the thread?? I mentioned it was due to my and my friends experiences.

Yes, including having a guy pull a gun on me by some tweaker, and as I said, my friend had similar experiences where he was glad he had his AK. Did you read the thread?? I mentioned it was due to my and my friends experiences.
I re-read the thread and did not see this part - what post # was it and I will read it.

Yea rednecks are generally the best people out in the boonies.

They will help you if your stuck, give you a ride back to town etc.

It's the shady city people and white trash I would keep a long gun near by.
untitled.png

Yea usually much more content and quiet. Do you have any experiences that convince you the woods are more 'dangerous' than 'The City' ?

Yup, people killed by foreign mushroomers in the nearby mountains, people raped in Yosemite that my daughter knew, etc etc etc... real life cases. My personal experience was being in the middle of a firefight by drug runners while backpack camping in N Calif and not being able to dig a hole thru the tent floor.

If the woods are statistically less "dangerous" than the city, it doesn't mean you should go unarmed. Prior to my friends arriving in elk camp this year, I was by myself for three days in a tent. I had a Ruger SR9c in a shoulder holster, a Judge with PDX1 copper plates on my hip, an AR pistol and a combat shotgun nearby. What was I afraid of? ... Not a damn thing!!!

@Joe13 if tweakers were zombies, wouldn't they be the fast movers?

Last Edited:
For those familiar with Paul Harrell - ask him why you need a long gun in camp. I am sure he is glad he had one when it was needed, and from the report I found about his incident I doubt a pistol would have had near the same effect.

As for me - I prefer a rifle to go with my pistol especially in camps within 100 miles of the city.

I have had some creepy experiences in campgrounds both official and not - a few of which I was unarmed at the time. Won't ever make that mistake again.

Besides, when Sasquatch and his alien pals try to rape or abduct you - do you want a pistol or a rifle handy? Or just a bottle of lube and a bucket of body glitter :D

This is really no different than people who "feel" they don't really need a gun in the city. Chances are very good they never will. In the city many feel 911 is all they need. In the "sticks" if you need 911 it's of course going to be a long wait. I have had buddies that would make jokes and give me strange looks when they found I was heeled, and often "heeled well" when we were out in "gods country". I would just smile and shrug. Never made a big deal out of it or tried to change their mind.
Decades ago I sold a hand gun to a guy who had never owned a gun and had no interest in one. He was young and into hiking as was his GF. One day they were in the "middle of no where" and came upon a handful of "less than stellar" looking guys at a makeshift camp. He said nothing happened but the experience was enough that he was NEVER going out there again with out a gun. I suggested some good places he and his girl could go to learn to shoot and he thanked me. Now many still don't think this "necessary". To me that's a big shrug. I don't really care what anyone else thinks of it. Makes me feel a lot better.

Your preferred long gun depends on what your perceived threat may be. If its animals, a shotgun is hard to beat.

There is no animal I would meet "camping" that does not tromp through the woods on my property, often within 100 feet of my house - except elk (which have been seen in the general area, but I've never seen any sign of on my property). I almost always walk around my property unarmed. I am not threatened by them - I have not heard of anybody threatened around here by wild animals.

Dogs - yes. Saw a neighbor's dog attack another neighbor's dog. I would carry if I was off my property and out of my neighborhood and on foot due to dogs. I also have a sjambok and a walking staff I would carry because of strange or feral dogs.

For those familiar with Paul Harrell - ask him why you need a long gun in camp. I am sure he is glad he had one when it was needed, and from the report I found about his incident I doubt a pistol would have had near the same effect.

As for me - I prefer a rifle to go with my pistol especially in camps within 100 miles of the city.

I have had some creepy experiences in campgrounds both official and not - a few of which I was unarmed at the time. Won't ever make that mistake again.

That is why I try not to ever camp in campgrounds if I can help it. I go out in the woods (including living here) to avoid people, not to be near them. I generally prefer trees to most people - if I can see or hear the latter, then I am too close.

What are we trying to protect from? 2 legged predators or 4? BTW, slugs in a shotgun have pretty good penetrating power. They're pretty versatile within 100 yards. But if you think you need more distance than that, then yea, a rifle. How big probably depends on whether you're worried about grizzlies or not.

If it's longer than 100yds, then it's probably shooting at me with a rifle. But hey, I'm not going to get involved in a sniper war... I just don't see well enough. On the other hand, I don't run fast enough either. Hmmm. :confused:

When I was a kid we usually took the Marlin .22 rifle with us camping. Not so much for protection, but to go spend part of a day plinking. To me it's just normal.
These days it depends on what my camping trip entails, but as far as serious firepower, it's usually it's my shotgun that comes camping.
If it isn't my Maverick, it would likely be my AR pistol.
If we're hunting/camping, besides my rifle, I just take my .45.

If it's longer than 100yds, then it's probably shooting at me with a rifle. But hey, I'm not going to get involved in a sniper war... I just don't see well enough. On the other hand, I don't run fast enough either. Hmmm. :confused:
If it is over 100 yards it's pretty tough to claim self defense.........and a slug from a 12 gauge is effective at 100 yards 735 grains of goodness.

I wouldn't be too sure... seeing as in Oregon there is no duty to retreat and some dip has me pinned with rifle fire. Send some back his way if I could see him. :eek:

But yup, my slugs are sighted for that range. I am loaded up with 8s for the first shot, in the face, for bear or man if it's close in, then 000 buck, then slug, repeat as necessary. :D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top