JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shotgun seems nice because of the sheer power and shot spread since incidents are generally within 7 yards. But the slow reload, limited capacity and lack of ability to penetrate cover such as that of a vehicle leave a bit to be desired. Plus there is no guarantee some yahoo won't shoot at you from afar out there. Some crazy mofo's out there....

This is of course as a primary gun while carrying a handgun as a backup. What would you carry (rifle or shotgun) for a camp gun?

Err...

Do much camping?

Most folk do not carry a long gun of any kind at the ready.

Our camp guns of choice are FN 5.7 &/or Canik TP9SF. Always ready to go.

Second to that, most folk don't camp hauling a long gun with them wherever they are. Pistols, yup.

One of the Caniks also has a streamlight, with holster. 18rd magazine plus 2 spares. Plenty.

The FN? 20 rd magazine, plus a 30 or 2 20's spare. Also plenty, and weight is barely noticeable.

We're camping, not preparing to repel zombies. If we were preparing to repel zombies, we wouldn't be camping.

Long Guns camping? Maybe, but they're stowed/reasonable access. What are they? No ones business.

If they become unstowed, then we have a problem. And we're not camping, we're leaving.

Rem 870 with 7+1 slugs.

Spread on a smooth bore is 1" per yard so you still have to aim.

Easy break down and cleaning. Less parts to break.

Whatever. Mossberg 500 or a 590...

You want ambi safety on the tang.

Honestly, I'd have my 930 JM loaded with ½ 00BK and the other ½ with slugs.

AR pistol. Easy to carry around and accurate out past 250-300 yards or so. :)
If you have to shoot, they will think they are being shot at by a 30-06... :)

Mini M16.jpg

Rem 870 with 7+1 slugs.
If your 870 has RemChokes, I'd like to suggest you look at getting a Rifled Slug Tube. I've done some testing on my own as well as for others and I found the Rifled Tube to be much better for Defense including #4 & 00 Buck. And of course the actual Slug gets a real boost for a longer range shot.

My Shotgun ride is a Side by Side or an 11-87 because I've found the gas gun to be way easier to shoot for some and it's already proven to be extremely reliable. The plus is it can be fired with one hand.

Do much camping?
Kinda wondering the same - most of my camping is with friends, often the same places and without too much 'paranoia' - do we carry ? yea a couple of us do but we are not parading around with long guns expecting any trouble. Heck most people who see us (and our activities in camp) probably think WE might be the bad guys - and steer clear from us.

Err...

Do much camping?

Our camp guns of choice are FN 5.7 &/or Canik TP9SF. Always ready to go.

Second to that, most folk don't camp hauling a long gun with them wherever they are. Pistols, yup.

One of the Caniks also has a streamlight, with holster. 18rd magazine plus 2 spares. Plenty.

The FN? 20 rd magazine, plus a 30 or 2 20's spare. Also plenty, and weight is barely noticeable.

We're camping, not preparing to repel zombies. If we were preparing to repel zombies, we wouldn't be camping.

Long Guns camping? Maybe, but they're stowed/reasonable access. What are they? No ones business.

If they become unstowed, then we have a problem. And we're not camping, we're leaving.

Actually I do a lot of camping, yes. I've run into some strange groups out there, as has a friend of mine. Last thing I want to do is face down 4 rednecks in a truck, each of them armed, with just a handgun.

Also, no one other than you mentioned carrying a long gun around camp. All I asked was which option, rifle or shotgun, would you choose as a camp gun and why? I gave some of my reasons.

Actually I do a lot of camping, yes. I've run into some strange groups out there, as has a friend of mine. Last thing I want to do is face down 4 rednecks in a truck, each of them armed, with just a handgun.

Also, no one other than you mentioned carrying a long gun around camp. All I asked was which option, rifle or shotgun, would you choose as a camp gun and why? I gave some of my reasons.

Ahhh!

Took your comment litterally:

...What would you carry (rifle or shotgun) for a camp gun?

Because if it isn't on you, your not carrying it... ;)

Last thing I want to do is face down 4 rednecks in a truck, each of them armed, with just a handgun
Really? Heck I feel considerably more comfortable around 'rednecks' than I do with some of the hollow eyed 20 somethings I have seen shooting 'modern sporting rifles' and giving me the 1000 yard stare as I drive by. Maybe its because I might BE one of the 'rednecks' you seem to be afraid of...

Shotgun seems nice because of the sheer power and shot spread since incidents are generally within 7 yards. But the slow reload, limited capacity and lack of ability to penetrate cover such as that of a vehicle leave a bit to be desired. Plus there is no guarantee some yahoo won't shoot at you from afar out there. Some crazy mofo's out there....

This is of course as a primary gun while carrying a handgun as a backup. What would you carry (rifle or shotgun) for a camp gun?
Elmer Keith was all about a .338 for potting meat afar.
So campy.
I'd think a sharp stick'd get you by.
Because seven yards is just too short to fight to your rifle from.
o fuque

I have a KSG loaded with 7 000 and 7 slugs in my truck whenever I go too far afield. I suppose it would be considered a camp gun as it is chained under the seat of my old ford when I'm camping. It usually stays there though. I am partial to carrying a 357 mag with at least a 4" barrel as it can reach out far enough.

Yea rednecks are generally the best people out in the boonies.

They will help you if your stuck, give you a ride back to town etc.

It's the shady city people and white trash I would keep a long gun near by.

A .22 rimfire rifle with a scope.

You are much more likely to want to take some rabbit or grouse/etc. for the pot, or just do some plinking/practicing/etc. than you are to need a rifle for zombies. At least right now.

Centerfire handgun for serious business, but I live out in the woods and I rarely carry any kind of firearm - especially at home. Zombies tend to stay in the cities. Just the same, if I was out camping, probably carry my "field gun" (S&W 329PD). I would definitely take a .22 rimfire rifle just for fun. Centerfire rifle? Only if hunting or the SHTF (in which case I would be home).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top