Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Calling all Glock experts - light primer strikes and failure to fire

Reactions
glocks are fine tuned you start changing spring weights , weight of slides it becomes a guessing game.

most glock comp guys use factory ammo since the primers are lighter on some manuf, I believe its federal. remans always are a hard primer. but once you change 1 part you need to change 3 more and find the go between

Reactions
1) no gun is perfect out of the box
2) any "quick google search" of "(insert gun here) Failure to fire" will result in page after page of anecdotal stories.
3) LEO's generally put a steal guide rod and beefier spring due to the amount of stress they put on their guns.
4) Generally an out of the box gun of any type is good enough for the average shooter.

ok now that those our out of the way;
Light primer strikes could be due to a number of reasons, without seeing the gun in action or reviewing the internals wear and tear i could not offer concrete advice on whats up. that being said, Possibilities are:
1) weak/worn firing pin
2) something in your firing pin shute (or missing the plastic sheat that goes in it, ive seen this a few times on complete builds)
3) the gun is not coming back in full battery and the after market parts arent operating correctly and completely preventing a primer strike.
4) added weight from the RMR could be causing issues if you havent lightened the slides enough to make up for this.
(not a complete list of possible failures)

Magazine falling out could be:
1) overly worn magazine or magazine spring/release
2) incorrectly installed parts.

in conclusion:
without actually getting hands on, I cant accurately identify the issue(s) but can only venture a few guesses. No, i dont think its user error, no i dont think its because "after market glocks suck" (because they dont) but i do think some fine tuning of your pistols will result in a pleasurable experience.

DirectDrive

Reactions
Both these pistols have their fair share of non-Glock components which is going to expose you to a malfunction more so than with stock components. Just a Law of Averages thing.
When I re-read the original post with TWO pistols at the same range session, experiencing light strikes, I would have to look at the ammo as #1 culprit.

It's been a while, maybe the OP has solved the issue ?

DirectDrive

Reactions
3) LEO's generally put a steal guide rod and beefier spring due to the amount of stress they put on their guns.
I've never heard of this one.
Glock-equipped Depts use Glock-trained armorers and they are adamant about using genuine Glock replacement parts.

Personally, I have used the aftermarket RSA's and the Glock RSA's.
I have found that the Glock RSA's are more than adequate.
They are inexpensive and just change them out at their normal duty cycle and you are golden.

Velzey

Reactions
I've never heard of this one.
Glock-equipped Depts use Glock-trained armorers and they are adamant about using genuine Glock replacement parts.

Personally, I have used the aftermarket RSA's and the Glock RSA's.
I have found that the Glock RSA's are more than adequate.
They are inexpensive and just change them out at their normal duty cycle and you are golden.
Yep that’s right. They are not allowed to swap out anything other than night sights. Everything is stock.

Reactions
Yep that’s right. They are not allowed to swap out anything other than night sights. Everything is stock.
Depends on the department, I know of 3 departments that change out the guide rods and springs. (by their in house armorer ((who is also a glock certified armorer)))

Reactions
I personally would not change out anything on a glock I intended to protect myself and my family with.

The only issues people have with glocks are from modified pistols/aftermarket parts.

Of course you can make a glock feel and perform better, but you will always sacrifice reliability.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Love all the Guys and Gals, the redbeard is pleased. Even if it wasn't 1 min away from my house...
    • SVT-ROY
  • Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I bugged these guys for a while as I was on the fence as to what safe to buy. There are so many...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Tim is fantastic! He does great work and does it in a timely manner! He reblued a Colt slide for...
    • hker71
  • Aloha Surplus
    4.00 star(s)
    Its always fun to check out the surplus stuff they have. Some is reasonably priced, some not so...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I recently sent in a project gun to Mr. Copeland to slick up an action and thread the barrel...
    • CountryGent

Staff online